UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   How to get this sound: cherub rock solo (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1567233)

kcroy 10-10-2012 06:42 PM

How to get this sound: cherub rock solo
 
Hi! I'm working on the solo from Smashing Pumkins Cherub Rock - in between the high note bends, there is this awesome growling , and I dont know how to make it!

3:09 seconds in. It is a high pitch bend and then a slide down... and it is all "growly"... any thoughts?

I'm using a similar set up to theirs with Big Muff / chorus / delay.



Not sure if this is the right forum.. let me know if these questions go somewhere else.

ihartfood 10-10-2012 06:47 PM

what amp. it's all about your amp.

gumbilicious 10-10-2012 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcroy
Hi! I'm working on the solo from Smashing Pumkins Cherub Rock - in between the high note bends, there is this awesome growling , and I dont know how to make it!

3:09 seconds in. It is a high pitch bend and then a slide down... and it is all "growly"... any thoughts?

I'm using a similar set up to theirs with Big Muff / chorus / delay.

Not sure if this is the right forum.. let me know if these questions go somewhere else.


first off, it sounds like he is using either an octave fuzz or he is running a parallel track through something bumping it up an octave.

but the 'growl' sound is just playing style. i do something similar, it is hard to explain what you are doing but i'll try:

when you are playing your solo or note you will then immediately let go of the guitar. this is not a 'hammer off' and you don't necessarily wanna rake the strings when you remove your hand. but when you do remove your hand, what you get is the strings vibrating slightly, and with that much distortion it sounds like a growl.

it then sounds like while the guitar is freely vibrating on the open strings, he is manipulating the pitch a bit with the whammy (i do that alot too).

to get a more controlled idea of 'letting go' of the guitar, just mute all the strings with your left hand and quickly just let (no strumming or picking involved). you should hear a 'brrrurrrrrr' kinda sound, that should be what he is using. sounds monstrous real loud with some fuzz and a little whammy manipulation.

edit: on a second listen, there is another kinda tehnique he could be doing. just randomly hit some lower notes with some pull offs.

and one more technique to get similar sound, do systematic pull off on the low E and A strings, then take your right hand and place it on the string and move it up and down the length between the bridge and the neck.

i love making noise

ihartfood 10-10-2012 07:14 PM

Oh, I hear it now. Wasn't sure what you meant. *blonde moment*

it's exactly like gumbi said. you let the lower string(s) vibrate a lot, maybe do some slides down from 12th fret.

you can also palm mute the low E and A farther from the bridge than normal place and then let that ring.

pushingthrough 10-10-2012 07:21 PM

Just a note. I remember reading an interview a long while back with james iha and he said he did some weird stuff for his sound on that album. I;m pretty sure he actually ran two distortions to get that over saturated sound on cherub rock, if that helps any, maybe not.

kcroy 10-10-2012 10:58 PM

you guys are awesome, thanks. Why do you think its an octave up, rather than him just playing that far up on the neck? Or is it that the distortion is shifted an octave?

when you have the volume up that high to get those great crunchy sounds - seems like every little thing gets picked up. Do you just great control over not brushing strings or making side noise? I have a noise suppression on it, maxed out and still get every tiny sound added in :)

Roc8995 10-10-2012 11:04 PM

An octave up effect takes the original signal and adds an octave signal on top of that - it doesn't alter the original. You can hear both of them at once if you listen closely. Octaver pedals tend to be a little glitchy and sputtery, which you'll start to hear once you recognize it. A lot of Hendrix has it in there.

Here's a great example of just a guitar with an octaver. Listen to when he bends or holds notes and it sort of glitches out or stutters. He's not playing any chords or using any other effects here - it's all just single notes with an octaver into a dirty amp.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng7X...feature=related

gumbilicious 10-10-2012 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcroy
you guys are awesome, thanks. Why do you think its an octave up, rather than him just playing that far up on the neck? Or is it that the distortion is shifted an octave?


he is playing 'low', but there is a doubled track (or an octave fuzz effect doubling what he plays an octave ) cuz the tracking is that tight. you can just tell it's a doubled track, and also the 'higher' part has those 'glitches' colin was talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcroy
when you have the volume up that high to get those great crunchy sounds - seems like every little thing gets picked up. Do you just great control over not brushing strings or making side noise? I have a noise suppression on it, maxed out and still get every tiny sound added in :)


i got used to playing with volume and gain, you ended up using all the imperfections (scrapes, feedback, noise) in the effect of the solo.

kcroy 10-10-2012 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Listen to when he bends or holds notes and it sort of glitches out or stutters. He's not playing any chords or using any other effects here - it's all just single notes with an octaver into a dirty amp.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng7X...feature=related


damn that is the sexy sounding.

went ahead and cranked up my volume and can get a nice growl just by letting go of the strings, or tapping my hand on the wood of the guitar with out muting any strings.

kcroy 10-10-2012 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbilicious
he is playing 'low', but there is a doubled track (or an octave fuzz effect doubling what he plays an octave ) cuz the tracking is that tight. you can just tell it's a doubled track, and also the 'higher' part has those 'glitches' colin was talking about.



i got used to playing with volume and gain, you ended up using all the imperfections (scrapes, feedback, noise) in the effect of the solo.


I read there was tons of overlaying guitar tracks on that album, so that would make sense.

edit: hey cool - there is an OCT FUZZ setting on this BOSS Multipedal.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:39 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.