UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   pod hd500 (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1567237)

IbanezShredz55 10-10-2012 07:05 PM

pod hd500

should i sell my boss me-70 and get a pod hd500

current gear
- marshall mg15mszw
- crate fw15r
- ibanez s420
- epiphone special 2
- boss ds1
- danelectro fab metal
- boss ME-70
*will be getting a marshall 4x12 cab
budget
- enough to afford the pod
-to be specific - 600$
genres
- progressive metal - dream theatre
- classic rock /blues rock - led zeppelin
- neo-classical
- regular metal - black sabbath

need it for medium sized gigs , home use, and recording

ihartfood 10-10-2012 07:08 PM

With the MG it isn't going to sound very good. I'd suggest you confine your budget to a new amp. a Marshall 4x12 isn't going to make it much better either.

HD500s are good, but you can order a used XT Live from Guitar Center which IMO are much better, having gigged with both. better models, with a good tube power amp they are at least small gig worthy.

gumbilicious 10-10-2012 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezShredz55
should i sell my boss me-70 and get a pod hd500

i'd say that'd be a pretty nice upgrade

Quote:
current gear
- marshall mg15mszw
- crate fw15r
- ibanez s420
- epiphone special 2
- boss ds1
- danelectro fab metal
- boss ME-70
*will be getting a marshall 4x12 cab

are you running a stereo setup? is that why you have two small amps?

are you considering selling them both for a better amp?

what are you planning on running with the marshall 4x12 when you get it?

Quote:
budget
- enough to afford the pod
-to be specific - 600$
genres
- progressive metal - dream theatre
- classic rock /blues rock - led zeppelin
- neo-classical
- regular metal - black sabbath

need it for medium sized gigs , home use, and recording

the HD500 will be nice for recording situations for sure. if you like the tone well enough you can probably just get a power amp for it and use it's amp models for tones.

IbanezShredz55 10-10-2012 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartfood
With the MG it isn't going to sound very good. I'd suggest you confine your budget to a new amp. a Marshall 4x12 isn't going to make it much better either.

HD500s are good, but you can order a used XT Live from Guitar Center which IMO are much better, having gigged with both. better models, with a good tube power amp they are at least small gig worthy.

oh believe me the mg is amazing the cleans are unbelievable( shocking i know lol). and the dirty channel is really powerful

IbanezShredz55 10-10-2012 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbilicious
i'd say that'd be a pretty nice upgrade

are you running a stereo setup? is that why you have two small amps?

are you considering selling them both for a better amp?

what are you planning on running with the marshall 4x12 when you get it?

the HD500 will be nice for recording situations for sure. if you like the tone well enough you can probably just get a power amp for it and use it's amp models for tones.

no i switch between the two amps depending on the situation
i'll be keeping both of them(well might sell the crate to get a better combo)
i'll be running the 4x12 with the marshall mg (until i get a new amp some time in the future)

ihartfood 10-10-2012 07:27 PM

revision:

if you do plan on getting a new amp in the future, I definitely suggest you a Pod XT Live. my all time favorite (not-AxeFX) multieffects.

also - your MGs cleans are good for what they are. but once you turn that sucker up to gigging volumes it will. sound. like. garbage.

same with the drive.

I do like MGs - solely for practice and never for anything else. They are decent amps at low/jam volumes.

oh, jesus christ its the zakk wylde one? god help you man. you will need a new amp.

gumbilicious 10-10-2012 07:30 PM

Quote:
no i switch between the two amps depending on the situation
i'll be keeping both of them(well might sell the crate to get a better combo)
i'll be running the 4x12 with the marshall mg (until i get a new amp some time in the future)

oh, it's the zack wylde mini stack one :facepalm: didn't put that together.

i was just wondering what you were doing about the amp situation. if you are gonna end up gigging at places bigger than a coffee shop you are probably gonna need a bit more amp for those gigs.

were you joking about the MG to ihartfood? the MG's don't get much respect around here, so you are kinda inviting a TON of people to convince you to get another amp if you don't clear the air. literally, people will forget all about your original question and start convincing you how bad they think an MG is.

either way, you will probably end up having to get something louder in the future. just start a 'what amp' thread when you're ready

ihartfood 10-10-2012 07:32 PM

Does your amp have an effects loop?

Addonexus408 10-10-2012 07:34 PM

i would sell the metal petals,the boss and the small amps. Get a POD XT Live along with a power amp and a cab. you would have a pretty decent setup. much better than what you have. they have some cheap power amps you can find used, it doesnt have to be a tube power amp for now as you can upgrade that later.

ihartfood 10-10-2012 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addonexus408
i would sell the metal petals,the boss and the small amps. Get a POD XT Live along with a power amp and a cab. you would have a pretty decent setup. much better than what you have. they have some cheap power amps you can find used, it doesnt have to be a tube power amp for now as you can upgrade that later.

/thread

IbanezShredz55 10-10-2012 07:42 PM

Quote:

the MG's don't get much respect around here, so you are kinda inviting a TON of people to convince you to get another amp if you don't clear the air. literally, people will forget all about your original question and start convincing you how bad they think an MG is.

either way, you will probably end up having to get something louder in the future. just start a 'what amp' thread when you're ready

yea i guess i knew people would rip of the mg , but it does sound good the cleans are friggin awesome(summon the trolls).
i'll just do a 'what amp thread' for some suggestions later, but until then i think im gonna get the hd500 but i will look into the pod xt live

IbanezShredz55 10-10-2012 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartfood
Does your amp have an effects loop?

nope

IbanezShredz55 10-10-2012 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addonexus408

best suggestion so far(not to sound like a d-bag). thanks i'll look into the pod xt-live and see how it compares to the hd500
for amps i would definitly prefer head and cab over combo, but i'll take what i can get.

nido 10-10-2012 08:33 PM

Quote:
oh, it's the zack wylde mini stack one :facepalm: didn't put that together.

i was just wondering what you were doing about the amp situation. if you are gonna end up gigging at places bigger than a coffee shop you are probably gonna need a bit more amp for those gigs.

were you joking about the MG to ihartfood? the MG's don't get much respect around here, so you are kinda inviting a TON of people to convince you to get another amp if you don't clear the air. literally, people will forget all about your original question and start convincing you how bad they think an MG is.

That there just made my day :haha:

OP keep only your guitars and try selling the rest of your gear off.
The HD500 is a very cool and versatile unit.
Get a nice power amp and a cab for it or a good powered monitor.

gumbilicious 10-10-2012 08:38 PM

^yup, the HD500 will make most of his other gear pretty obsolete
Quote:
yea i guess i knew people would rip of the mg , but it does sound good the cleans are friggin awesome(summon the trolls).

as long as you're happy with it then you are golden.

IbanezShredz55 10-10-2012 10:06 PM

alright my 'what amp' thread is up

my current list is
- peavey classic 50 2x12
- peavey 6505 2x12
- jet city JCA5212RC

TheWarpRider 10-11-2012 09:19 AM

Why are people suggesting XT Live? The HD500 is far better, especially the amp models.

kutless999 10-11-2012 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarpRider
Why are people suggesting XT Live? The HD500 is far better, especially the amp models.

+1

The effects are also way better too, as the HD uses the m series effects found on the m5, m9, and m13. And plus, you wouldn't need an amp, just use the pod direct.

chestercheetah 10-11-2012 10:19 AM

what you really need is a new amp.

Perverockstar69 10-11-2012 12:19 PM

Quote:
alright my 'what amp' thread is up

my current list is
- peavey classic 50 2x12 Best for classic rock
- peavey 6505 2x12 Best for metal
- jet city JCA5212RC Versatile amp

What kind of music do you want to play?