UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Bass Guitar (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   List of "Don't buy this " items for bass . (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1567289)

WTmission 10-11-2012 03:26 AM

List of "Don't buy this " items for bass .

I guess everyone has had bad experience with low quality items. So I suggest we make a list of items that we should not buy unless we have no other choice.

Deliriumbassist 10-11-2012 05:04 AM

Poor idea. This will simply turn into a list of things people don't like. In addition, ALL manufacturers produce lemons, even batches of lemons, and not just in this area of the market. And when you buy something at a price, you do so acknowledging that there are certain things to expect at that price.

JustPhil 10-11-2012 07:25 AM

inb4 Behringer.

On a serious note, they do cut corners in production to cut costs and this can show on some products. Amps have a tendency to break down, they lie about the power output and their pedals are made from plastic and have to be treated with exceptional care, there's some products that are worth getting because they're so damn cheap but just don't expect them to last if you treat them like the rest of your gear.

chatterbox272 10-11-2012 07:53 AM

This just screams flame war...

Jehannum 10-11-2012 07:59 AM

Woolly hats

red_hot_chili18 10-11-2012 09:18 AM

Drummers, all of them.

Deliriumbassist 10-11-2012 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPhil
inb4 Behringer.

On a serious note, they do cut corners in production to cut costs and this can show on some products. Amps have a tendency to break down, they lie about the power output and their pedals are made from plastic and have to be treated with exceptional care, there's some products that are worth getting because they're so damn cheap but just don't expect them to last if you treat them like the rest of your gear.

They don't lie about the power output. They do, however, use a measurement which isn't RMS (and RMS is different in different countries), within a certain frequency range with a certain THD tolerance. The same happens with a lot of surround sound amps, they give the power rating of one channel driven from 20-20,000Hz. The truer measurement would be the power output of a channel when ALL channels are driven, using the full frequency range of a Blu-ray soundtrack.

anarkee 10-11-2012 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliriumbassist
Poor idea. This will simply turn into a list of things people don't like. In addition, ALL manufacturers produce lemons, even batches of lemons, and not just in this area of the market. And when you buy something at a price, you do so acknowledging that there are certain things to expect at that price.

I have to agree with Ben here. This is going to end up looking like an argument clinic quite quickly. For instance, I don't like Thunderbirds, even the Gibson one's but that doesn't mean if someone really finds them satisfactory for their playing that they aren't worth the price for that bass player. Though if Justin Meldal-Johnsen ever decided to give me his, I wouldn't mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_hot_chili18
Drummers, all of them.

Your drummer is either really poor or you're going to have issues in every band you ever play in.

red_hot_chili18 10-11-2012 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarkee
I have to agree with Ben here. This is going to end up looking like an argument clinic quite quickly. For instance, I don't like Thunderbirds, even the Gibson one's but that doesn't mean if someone really finds them satisfactory for their playing that they aren't worth the price for that bass player. Though if Justin Meldal-Johnsen ever decided to give me his, I wouldn't mind.

Your drummer is either really poor or you're going to have issues in every band you ever play in.

Or I'm joking?

Spanner93 10-11-2012 10:49 AM

It's all a matter of opinion. I for example would tell everybody to never-ever buy a fender, but that's just my preference. Whereas someone else will tell you to never buy an Ibanez (and then they deserve to be shot :P).....

All of these threads, barring the technical support ones are purely based upon somebody's opinion.

Sudaka 10-11-2012 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanner93
All of these threads, barring the technical support ones are purely based upon somebody's opinion.

I agree that this thread might become a useless flame war, but i completely disagree with this. This threads are purely based upon somebody's opinion, and they always were. There's nothing wrong with that. You may have had bad experiences with fenders, and it's great that you can share that with us, so at least when we think of getting a fender, will do being warned and that could make us make the best choice for us. Others experiences and opinions are useful, and this is what forums are all about. At least, that's what i think.

King Of Suede 10-11-2012 11:31 AM

P basses

anarkee 10-11-2012 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Of Suede
P basses

See this brings up my point exactly. My next purchase is going to be a MIA Precision and I love them to death.

King Of Suede 10-11-2012 12:14 PM

Bite me =P

OtamotPuhctek 10-11-2012 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTmission
I guess everyone has had bad experience with low quality items. So I suggest we make a list of items that we should not buy unless we have no other choice.

I'd suggest avoiding the 1974 Ford Pinto.

anarkee 10-11-2012 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtamotPuhctek
I'd suggest avoiding the 1974 Ford Pinto.

You don't like cars that explode? Where's your sense of fun?

OtamotPuhctek 10-11-2012 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarkee
You don't like cars that explode? Where's your sense of fun?

Lost my asbestos lined jammies in a card game. Never been the same since!

Spaz91 10-11-2012 01:38 PM

Behringer, Laney, Boss, Cort, Mexican Fenders, Affinity Squiers, Talkbass Fads.

My own personal hate list.

Spanner93 10-11-2012 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
Behringer, Laney, Boss, Cort, Mexican Fenders, Affinity Squiers, Talkbass Fads.

My own personal hate list.

OOOOOOOOOOH, was waiting for someone to do this.

Anyway, my turn.

Fender, Gibson, MXR (not bad gear, but it's overpriced), Laney and above all Squier (ALL SQUIERS).

Spaz91 10-11-2012 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanner93
OOOOOOOOOOH, was waiting for someone to do this.

Anyway, my turn.

Fender, Gibson, MXR (not bad gear, but it's overpriced), Laney and above all Squier (ALL SQUIERS).

Classic Vibe Squiers are amazing. :confused: