UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Pit (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Cat6 - Mini Din cable wiring (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1567504)

conor-figgy 10-12-2012 11:57 AM

Cat6 - Mini Din cable wiring
 
Hey guys, just wondering if anybody knows the ins and outs of wiring up cat6 cables and an 8 pin mini-din.

Basically, I want to connect a numark cd player controller to the cd player via a cat6 patch panel.

The cd controller uses an 8-pin mini din cable, the cat6 cables we have a are T568B.

The mini-din cable are wired as follows:



The cat6 cable is wired as follows: (second list, T568B)



So I wired on a 1 to 1 basis, pin 1 to pin 1 etc. but it's not working. This may be due to simply bad connections but I'm also a bit afraid that I'm doing it wrong.

The wiring is as follows:

CD controller > mini din > cat6 > patch panel > cat 6 > mini din > cd player

Anyone got any ideas?

metal4eva_22 10-12-2012 11:59 AM

Cut the red wire. It's always the red wire.

sam b 10-12-2012 12:00 PM

You need to make a male to male bond

conor-figgy 10-12-2012 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam b
You need to make a male to male bond


Um, would you mind explaining this to me?

ExDementia 10-12-2012 12:21 PM

Well do you have a wiring diagram for the player and controller? Otherwise we don't have enough information to really help. If it's just straight through, it should work.

Did you wire the patch panel yourself? Either way, make sure it's wired correctly. I've come across more than a few that weren't. If all the wires are in the right place, get yourself a punch down tool if you don't already have one and punch them down again to make sure they have a good connection.

Wolfinator-x 10-12-2012 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor-figgy
Um, would you mind explaining this to me?
I'm fairly certain a "male" part is a plug, whereas a "female" part is a socket. Yes I am serious.

conor-figgy 10-12-2012 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDementia
Well do you have a wiring diagram for the player and controller? Otherwise we don't have enough information to really help. If it's just straight through, it should work.

Did you wire the patch panel yourself? Either way, make sure it's wired correctly. I've come across more than a few that weren't. If all the wires are in the right place, get yourself a punch down tool if you don't already have one and punch them down again to make sure they have a good connection.


I don't have a wiring diagram unfortunately, didn't come with the manual.

I didn't wire the patch panel myself no, it was professionally installed. What I'm actually doing is having the CD controller beside the sound desk and the cd player back in the main sound rack.

@Wolf Yes I know the whole socket/plug female/male thing, I just want to know what he would have me do.

ExDementia 10-12-2012 06:59 PM

Have you tested it with a short patch cable with both the controller and the player right next to each other, just to make sure the pins do what you think they do, and also to cut out all the adapters?

Take out as many variables as possible.

conor-figgy 10-12-2012 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDementia
Have you tested it with a short patch cable with both the controller and the player right next to each other, just to make sure the pins do what you think they do, and also to cut out all the adapters?

Take out as many variables as possible.


So basically re attach the mini din cables to each other?

I should mention that I haven't been soldering any male ends, I just cut a mini din cable in the middle and cut a cat6 cable in the middle.

Blayney 10-12-2012 07:34 PM

I don't think it's a 1to1 conversion.

I've found a guide to converting cat6 to another connector and it looks like the cat6 pinout is

1 CTS
2 DSR
3 RXD
4 GND
5 GND
6 TXD
7 DTR
8 RTS

Pin 1 is the one on the left looking at the connector with the tab on top and the cable going away from you.

As per your colour diagram I think it could be

CAT5 - > 8Pin DIN
white/orange - > red
orange -> orange
white/green -> brown
blue -> yellow
white/blue -> black
green -> purple
white/brown -> blue (DTR -> N/C ??)
brown -> green

http://www.usconverters.com/downloa...eling_guide.pdf

Here's my source. Don't take this is absolutely right. It's just my understanding, also it's very late. I could be entirely wrong. Hopefully someone with more of an idea will come along shortly.

ExDementia 10-12-2012 07:39 PM

No I mean just wire it up with the cat6 on your desk to see if it works. Controller > mini din > cat6 > mini din > player

If that works, you know its the patch panel thats causing problems.

Blayney 10-12-2012 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDementia
No I mean just wire it up with the cat6 on your desk to see if it works. Controller > mini din > cat6 > mini din > player

If that works, you know its the patch panel thats causing problems.


This is a good idea TS.

conor-figgy 10-12-2012 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDementia
No I mean just wire it up with the cat6 on your desk to see if it works. Controller > mini din > cat6 > mini din > player

If that works, you know its the patch panel thats causing problems.


Ahh right, no I did this already unfortunately.

@Blayney Ahh cool, I'll try that configuration tomorrow.

Thanks guys :cheers:

ExDementia 10-12-2012 08:46 PM

Another thing that might make things easier is to buy another 8 pin mini din cable, cut it in half, then splice it with the cat6 going into the wall. That way you don't have to worry about precision soldering on those little pins on the connector and you can unplug it, leaving the cable usable for later. So it would look like this:

Controller > mini din male > mini din female > splice from mini din to cat6 > panel > splice from cat6 back to mini din female > mini din male > player

conor-figgy 10-12-2012 09:00 PM

Well, that's pretty much what I'm currently doing.

The 8 pin mini-din I have is male to male. I cut both cables in half and now I'm splicing them so I'll have two cables that have one cat6 end and one mini din end.

ExDementia 10-12-2012 09:18 PM

Oh I must have read wrong. I thought you were soldering the wires to the pins themselves, which would have been completely impractical, lol.

Now that I'm thinking about it, a wiring diagram is pretty much irrelevant, and I'm pretty sure it actually is a 1 to 1 conversion since it's going into the same mini din connection on both sides. The wires are just wires, they don't really care what they do, just as long as they are all going to the right place. As long as one wire starts as a ground (for example) and ends as a ground, everything should work. Maybe something got crossed or isn't making a strong enough connection?

All you are really doing is extending the wire, correct? It doesn't matter what kind of connector is goes through, just as long as the signal travels down the same connection from one end to the other. At my last job we used to do something similar to what Blayney linked, we would make RJ45 to serial adapters on both sides to make use of existing building wiring. It essentially just turned it into one long cat5 cable -- 4 pair meets 4 pair in the end, but needed some adapters to get it to that point without rewiring every building.

conor-figgy 10-12-2012 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDementia
Oh I must have read wrong. I thought you were soldering the wires to the pins themselves, which would have been completely impractical, lol.

Now that I'm thinking about it, a wiring diagram is pretty much irrelevant, and I'm pretty sure it actually is a 1 to 1 conversion since it's going into the same mini din connection on both sides. The wires are just wires, they don't really care what they do, just as long as they are all going to the right place. As long as one wire starts as a ground (for example) and ends as a ground, everything should work. Maybe something got crossed or isn't making a strong enough connection?

All you are really doing is extending the wire, correct? It doesn't matter what kind of connector is goes through, just as long as the signal travels down the same connection from one end to the other. At my last job we used to do something similar to what Blayney linked, we would make RJ45 to serial adapters on both sides to make use of existing building wiring. It essentially just turned it into one long cat5 cable -- 4 pair meets 4 pair in the end, but needed some adapters to get it to that point without rewiring every building.


Yup, that what I was originally thinking, that all I'm really doing is extending the signal path through a cat6 network system.

My main worry was whether when wired up on a one to one basis, a data carrying cable might be entering a ground cable etc. when going through the patch panel and into the rack causing the data to be lost. I've never studied computer networking...

I'm going to try again tomorrow and make sure all connections are completely sound. This might be especially important as the power for the controller is also provided from the cable.

Blayney 10-16-2012 02:57 PM

Did this get resolved?

conor-figgy 10-16-2012 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blayney
Did this get resolved?


Ha! I just got it working about an hour ago! Turns out it was just a simple one to one wiring, my connections just needed to be better. The only problem I have now is trying to figure out how to incorporate the mini-din's ground wire in the configuration. Do you think I'd get away with joining it to one of the 8?



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:35 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.