UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Pit (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Mom sentenced in toddler abuse case (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1567548)

FenderBender72 10-12-2012 03:37 PM

Mom sentenced in toddler abuse case

Source http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...r-sentence?lite

Ok this is the lady who was potty training her 2 year old child and as a form of punishment, she glued her hands to the wall and beat her. She was sentenced to 99 years (I say just kill her). But here is where I get a little confused on our justice system.

Obviously with a sentencing like this, she will die in prison, as will, for example, Jerrry Sandusky. Now, here is where my confusion is; Jerry Sandusky diddled a dozen boys over a number of years, scarring them forever. He was sentenced to a minimum 30 years maximun 60 years. WTF? I mean it doesnt really MATTER because they will both be in prison for the rest of their lives, but how do they come up with the numbers? I'm not saying that her sentence of 99 years was too harsh (again, I say just kill her), but with this sentence, they are saying that she is worse than a child molester.

Any thoughts? :shrug:

EDIT: Either they updated the article, or I didn't see/read the last sentence, but I guess she will be eligible for parole in 30 years.

Mudmen190 10-12-2012 03:44 PM

Maybe beating a toddler is worse than diddling a dozen?

CoreysMonster 10-12-2012 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudmen190
Maybe beating a toddler is worse than diddling a dozen?

You never know the harm diddling'd do.

EDIT: 23-year old mother of FIVE?! What the balls does her vagina look like, the Esa'ala Cave??

EDIT2:

Quote:
Escalona admitted she was using marijuana about twice a day in the time before she attacked Jocelyn.

Yeah that sounds real likely :rolleyes:

She's obviously doing much harder drugs and not admitting it.

FenderBender72 10-12-2012 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreysMonster

EDIT: 23-year old mother of FIVE?! What the balls does her vagina look like, the Esa'ala Cave??

Had her first kid at 14. She's a real winner.

CG Man16 10-12-2012 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreysMonster

Personally, I'd rather be diddled than punched.

Yup, definitely.

Enigmatic564 10-12-2012 03:54 PM

Quote:
Escalona admitted she was using marijuana about twice a day in the time before she attacked Jocelyn.

Yay... Now people will say marijuana makes people violent :rolleyes:

adamgur96 10-12-2012 03:55 PM

Is doing fucked up shit to children a trend these days???

GazzaCee 10-12-2012 03:59 PM

I don't believe in this 99 year sentences. Prison should be about rehabilitation as well as punishment, and life sentences just keep the prisons full.

FenderBender72 10-12-2012 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamgur96
Is doing fucked up shit to children a trend these days???

It seems like I read a new child abuse story every week in the news. And those are the only ones we hear about. Truly is a sad thing. Something like this just happen locally, twice. And it's a small city. What's with all of these un-fit parents? Sure, you're going to get stressed while raising a child, but step back and take a breather! Don't take out your frustrations on a child.

TooktheAtrain 10-12-2012 04:07 PM

Should have been 6-8 years, her kids put up for adoption, and some sort of order against being around children.

99 years seems excessive.

FenderBender72 10-12-2012 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooktheAtrain
Should have been 6-8 years, her kids put up for adoption, and some sort of order against being around children.

99 years seems excessive.

I urge you to read the article

BurningStarlV 10-12-2012 04:20 PM

TooktheAtrain 10-12-2012 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderBender72
I urge you to read the article

I've read it, and although I have to admit I'm viscerally disgusted by what she did, I don't think she should be sentenced to such a long time in prison when compared with murderers, rapists etc.

Saint78 10-12-2012 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderBender72
Had her first kid at 14. She's a real winner.

Shoulda strangled it.
show

FenderBender72 10-12-2012 04:26 PM

Quote:
I've read it, and although I have to admit I'm viscerally disgusted by what she did, I don't think she should be sentenced to such a long time in prison when compared with murderers, rapists etc.

Thats what I was pretty much saying in the first post. But given the circumstances of this case, I think she should be put away for life. That video with the pictures of that little girl made me sick.

Jackintehbox 10-12-2012 04:34 PM

Quote:

On the other hand, she's probably created several future rapists and murderers.

whywefight 10-12-2012 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG Man16
Personally, I'd rather be diddled than punched.

Yup, definitely.

\/

TooktheAtrain 10-12-2012 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackintehbox
On the other hand, she's probably created several future rapists and murderers.

I'm not sure I buy the argument that abused kids are significantly likely to become violent abusers themselves.

whywefight 10-12-2012 04:45 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure I buy the argument that abused kids are significantly likely to become violent abusers themselves.

It's definitely a factor, from what I just read online.

Enigmatic564 10-12-2012 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whywefight
It's definitely a factor, from what I just read online.

It it's online, it must be true!