UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gear Building & Customizing (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Need More Ballz Than Dimarzio Tone Zone (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1567610)

Omni-Virus 10-13-2012 12:30 AM

Need More Ballz Than Dimarzio Tone Zone

Okay so here's the thing guys: I have an EBMM (Ernie Ball Music Man) Axis Supersport Rockstar Version. It is a Basswood body with a Maple neck and a Rosewood fretboard. I wanna put my Tone Zone back into my neck position. This however brings up the problem of getting a Bridge pickup.

First things first it has to come in F-spacing.

I want it to have more output than the Tone Zone, but I also want it to sound thicker than the Tone Zone as well. I find that when the Tone Zone is in the bridge position it sounds slightly brittle and I don't like that at all. I want it to be very chunky and very smooth and have lots of chugga chugga and if it can do artificial harmonics and pinch harmonics easily that would be a plus too.

I have a sound that I'm slightly looking for:

but in relation I want slightly more bassiness/thickness and more smoothness and less of the high-mid and treble. The pickups these guys are using is the Super Distortion. I've heard the Super 3 is good but I've heard the lowered bass on it can make it sound empty. So if you know anything equal to or higher output than a Super Distortion or Super 3 that's thicker and smoother, that'd be what I'm looking for :P

I'd prefer posts that include sound clips or videos of the recommended pickup(s).

Note: Needs to be a Passive Humbucker

steven seagull 10-13-2012 01:54 AM

Might want to look at the Breed. Also I know exactly where you're comig from with regards to the Tone Zone sounding "brittle".

Output's largely irrelevant, that's why pickups are height adjustable, pedals exist and amps have knobs

Omni-Virus 10-13-2012 01:32 PM

I've found output is important in my amp's case. That's why I'm trying to look for more of it :/

steven seagull 10-13-2012 01:55 PM

It probably isn't as important as you think, as long as you can broadly classify a pickup as low, medium or hot it's usually going to do the job as far as output goes regardless of the fine details

Omni-Virus 10-13-2012 02:19 PM

I'm using an amp that's very touchy with pickup output. Most people put air nortons in their neck and say it has enough balls. It barely pushed my amp at all. Believe me when I say output is important.

steven seagull 10-13-2012 03:03 PM

What amp is it?

Omni-Virus 10-14-2012 12:05 AM

It's a Raven RG60. It's a 60-watt 1x12 speaker Solid State. Actually one of the best solid states ever. Sounds better than most tube amps IMO.

steven seagull 10-14-2012 04:36 AM

In that case I stand by everything I've already suggested

Omni-Virus 10-14-2012 12:53 PM

I'll consider it, but in the case that I actually need a bridge with higher output, then what would you recommend?

AsOneIStand 10-14-2012 03:45 PM

I recommend a new amp.

Omni-Virus 10-14-2012 06:21 PM

It's a perfectly fine amp. I'm not planning on replacing it any time soon.

Tempoe 10-14-2012 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsOneIStand
I recommend a new amp.

+1

sorry but yeah

Omni-Virus 10-14-2012 06:46 PM

How about we focus on the actual topic. My amp is fine. There's nothing wrong with it. It sounds nicer than most amps I've played. Focus on the bridge pickup guys.

R45VT 10-14-2012 07:05 PM

They aren't wasting your time. Its a cheap SS practice amp.

Seriously your pick-up will have about... 10% difference in tone? Probably much less through your amp. Your money would be better spend on a new amp.

With the $$ for the pick-up you could be half way to a used tube amp that would really help you.

Your time would be better spent in the accessories forum looking for a new amp.

Omni-Virus 10-14-2012 08:07 PM

I've used this amp for gigs, it gets very loud and it sounds better than the low-end tube amps I've played through. The amp is fine. I'm asking about a bridge pickup guys. GAWD. Either answer the question or go away. Seriously.

roshjosh 10-14-2012 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omni-Virus
How about we focus on the actual topic. My amp is fine. There's nothing wrong with it. It sounds nicer than most amps I've played. Focus on the bridge pickup guys.

With all due respect; If your amp was fine, then you wouldn't have an issue with your sound (You already have high-output HBs, which are more than capable of outputting that sort of sound).

Omni-Virus 10-14-2012 09:48 PM

Finally found the sound I want, but I want it with a bit more bass in my tone. Again, Basswood body. The pickups I currently have are a tone zone in the bridge and a norton in the neck. I want my tone zone back in the neck because I've used it before and I like that tone, but I need a bridge to match to get this tone. The amp does fine at what it does, trust me.

roshjosh 10-14-2012 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omni-Virus
Finally found the sound I want, but I want it with a bit more bass in my tone. Again, Basswood body. The pickups I currently have are a tone zone in the bridge and a norton in the neck. I want my tone zone back in the neck because I've used it before and I like that tone, but I need a bridge to match to get this tone. The amp does fine at what it does, trust me.

In that recording, there are actually 2 guitars. That's why it produces that very punchy, but full, tone.

Also, choosing sound clips that feature other instruments (especially studio recordings, like that) are going to seriously affect how we hear the guitar.

Trust me. You won't be able to achieve that tone by changing your pickups. It's no possible. If gain, or punch, was the issue with your sound - then your current pickups are not the problem.

Trust me. Trust me. No matter how much you want to convince yourself that getting new, and cool, pickups is going to solve anything - It just isn't the case.

Omni-Virus 10-14-2012 10:05 PM

In that case I'd like to know if I should try getting a speaker change, as I like my amp.

Omni-Virus 10-14-2012 10:11 PM

Or a cab.