UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Electric Guitar (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   EC400, need new pickups (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1567643)

ibacred 10-13-2012 07:30 AM

EC400, need new pickups

So I'm getting a EC400 in a trade soon, and I already know I'm gonna replace the pickups (no EMG's, he threw those out long ago, it has epi stock pickups now). I don't want to put EMG's in it again, I'm looking for passives.

I'm more focused on a bridge pickup, I can replace the neck later (unless there is a nice set :) )

I want something that can handle gain similar to Devin Townsend, BtBam, Opeth, distorted Porcupine Tree, but isn't hot enough where I couldn't play classic rock like Black Sabbath or Deep Purple.

Current gear is in the sig, (stop me now if I need to upgrade my amps first).

I'm thinking of a D-activator for the bridge, would that help me accomplish my desired sound?

Thanks for helping out guys :)

miio 10-13-2012 08:15 AM

I'd go for a Tone Zone and Air Norton !

Robbgnarly 10-13-2012 08:23 AM

Duncan SH-4, Pearly Gates
Dimarzio SD

JesusCrisp 10-13-2012 09:26 AM

I'd say Duncan Custom bridge, Jazz or '59 neck.

Offworld92 10-13-2012 05:33 PM

Check out the SD Custom. Maybe even a Custom 5.

I have a Custom in my H-301 right now. I'd say it'd be good for getting those tones.

krehzeekid 10-13-2012 05:59 PM

D'activator sounds great with for that sort of stuff (though your amps may not be the best choices- none of them are really metal amps). definitely go for a pair too. they sound nice and clear without being quite as crisp sounding as actives on the cleans. they're pretty hot pickups, but they have a reasonably pleasant character to pull off the more classic sounding stuff.

I would also check out the dominion bridge unit with a breed in the neck. it's a little bit of a lower output set that gives you really nice and chunky rhythm tones with big fat lead tones. I really like the sound of the dominion because its super heavy without any of the "active" sound you're trying to avoid in the first place.

ibacred 10-13-2012 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krehzeekid
D'activator sounds great with for that sort of stuff (though your amps may not be the best choices- none of them are really metal amps). definitely go for a pair too.

I'm working on trading or buying a used 6505 for my metal playing, just not sure how long it'll take.

I'm gonna look into SD custom, maybe a D-activator too. Might depend on which one I can get cheaper if they will both work for the tones I want :haha:

krehzeekid 10-13-2012 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibacred
I'm working on trading or buying a used 6505 for my metal playing, just not sure how long it'll take.

I'm gonna look into SD custom, maybe a D-activator too. Might depend on which one I can get cheaper if they will both work for the tones I want :haha:

the 6505+ will help a tonne!

also, make sure you swap for better pots when you do the pickups. it'll cost maybe $30 for the lot and it will make a tremendous difference!