UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Electric Guitar (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   piezo equipped electric guitars, your opinion. (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1567726)

Metalloy 10-13-2012 05:50 PM

piezo equipped electric guitars, your opinion.
 
hello guys,
recently I stumbled upon few electric guitars equipped with piezo pickups and I was interested to know who has some personal experience with them and what do you think about them? do they really take the place of a real electro-acoustic guitar?
I have a fishman equipped electro-acoustic and was really amazed with its' performance when used through a PA system, I really liked it, but not the case when plugged with a regular amp, didn't try it with dedicated acoustic amps and I'm pretty sure things will be much better, the things is an electric guitar player will be using his guitar through an electric guitar amp not an acoustic, that's why I'm interested to know how well will the piezo equipped electric guitars do.
To name few models, music man JP6 and some Parker guitars.

krehzeekid 10-13-2012 06:01 PM

they're definitely not a complete replacement for a true electro-acoustic. they're definitely adequate for a couple of acoustic bits during a set, but they typically come up short of a good electro-acoustic. they just tend not to sound as natural. also, they sound their best either direct to the board or into an acoustic amp (electric amps do not do a great job of recreating acoustic tone in a transparent way)

Heideck 10-13-2012 06:05 PM

As said before, they not replace completly, they are a bit different. But I can tell you that Music man John Petrucci's signatures are mazing guitars

Metalloy 10-13-2012 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krehzeekid
they're definitely not a complete replacement for a true electro-acoustic. they're definitely adequate for a couple of acoustic bits during a set, but they typically come up short of a good electro-acoustic. they just tend not to sound as natural. also, they sound their best either direct to the board or into an acoustic amp (electric amps do not do a great job of recreating acoustic tone in a transparent way)

that was exactly what I was thinking of, thanks for your input :D

anybody else care to share?

Metalloy 10-13-2012 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heideck
As said before, they not replace completly, they are a bit different. But I can tell you that Music man John Petrucci's signatures are mazing guitars

I am planning to get one when I get the money, but I am wondering about the integrity of the acoustic sound that I can get from it ;)

DrJohnnyClash 10-13-2012 09:02 PM

I have a Nashville Power Telecaster with the fishman piezo bridge and I quite like it. When I run it into my amp, it adds the piezo adds a bit of woodiness to the sound. It's no substitute for a proper acoustic, but it makes for a more flexible guitar and, for my purposes, a nice clean sound.

|Long| 10-13-2012 09:18 PM

To give you some insight on the other spectrum. Piezo saddle pickups are just as bad on acoustics. They are the worst form of pickups for acoustic because they do not pickup the true sound of the wood, but the string vibration.

Piezo saddle pickups on electric give some approximation to an acoustic, but it can't capture the real acoustic setting.

gregs1020 10-13-2012 09:20 PM

if you can run the piezo to a PA or acoustic amp while running the regular magnetic pups to your favorite guitar amp you are opening up a huge dynamic you can't get any other way that i'm aware of.

both the prs guitars i've had with piezo pups have been great sounding guitars when used as acoustics.

the new P22 and P24 are the solid body versions, and may just sound better than the hollowbodies if you can imagine that. yes i tried them personally and yes i was shocked.

though i shouldn't have been, prs makes great instruments.

Spaztikko 10-13-2012 09:32 PM

Figure I might as well sound stupid than stay ignorant.

When you use a peizo on say, a EBMM JP, do you have two seperate lead jacks, or just one? Like, I know how the peizo works, but how do you get the signal running into two places then?

Delboyuk_01 10-14-2012 03:26 AM

Tbh I don't think there is a massive difference between an electro acoustic and an electric with piezo pickups. As someone else said, electro acoustics run in a similar way with pickups in the bridge.
My Parker has a great acoustic sound and you can get different tones by adjusting the tone as well. Mine has one output on the guitar but a button for Stereo or Mono, depending on if you're using more than one amp, the lead splits into 2 and I plug one into the electric amp and one into an acoustic amp. I think some guitars also have 2 outputs as well.
They are worth it, but if you're playing an acoustic set with no need for an electric sound then stick with an acoustic. If not buy one.

Metalloy 10-14-2012 07:47 AM

thank you guys, that was reall helpful.
Now one more question regarding running 2amps, an electric and an acoustic, from a piezo equipped electric guitar having only one single output, How do i do that? using a line slector perhaps?

deltaten 10-14-2012 08:12 AM

I believe that the "splittable" types use a stereo jack for output. A simple stereo channel "Y" splitter is used to divide the pickups.
I don't usually do this with mine. I simply use the combined setting on the selector and dial in whatever amount of piezo that I want to augment the HBs.
Peavey sez that the piezo and internal pre-amp on mine has been set to Martin D-28 "sound". If I bought a Martin that sounded like this, I'd sue ! ;)
I bought an Acoustic amp specifically for this set up. While it seems to work the piezo well, it's lost on the HBs. I end up using the "hot" input on the Fender 65r most often. I trip over one cord often enough. Two would be cataclysmic. :D

HTH

adamgur96 10-14-2012 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaztikko
Figure I might as well sound stupid than stay ignorant.

When you use a peizo on say, a EBMM JP, do you have two seperate lead jacks, or just one? Like, I know how the peizo works, but how do you get the signal running into two places then?


The EBMM JP models have 2 output jacks:

http://i923.photobucket.com/albums/...y/JP6-jacks.jpg

That way you can send the piezo to an acoustic amp and the magnetic to an electric amp.

Robbgnarly 10-14-2012 09:25 AM

I played a Parker Fly extensively for about 6 months and it had an amazing piezo (I think it was an LR baggs). it was a truly versitile guitar for everything from Metal to Folk. The dual out puts on the guitar made it easy to go into both a electric and acoustic amp.

The parker was also one of the best playing guitars I have ever touched, but it is ugly as hell.

Metalloy 10-14-2012 10:42 AM

so both the parker and and the Music Man JP6 has double outputs? that would be sweet!
hopefully my next guitar qill be one of them :D

adamgur96 10-14-2012 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalloy
so both the parker and and the Music Man JP6 has double outputs? that would be sweet!
hopefully my next guitar qill be one of them :D


Well you better start saving up. :haha:

The cheepest Parker you can get (new) is like $4,000 (Parker is super high quality. From the carbon fiber fretboard to piezo to the tremolo bridge to the pickups).

The EBMM JP model is much cheaper and sounds and feels orgasmic, I'm currently saving up for a EBMM JPX7, i've played it once at a music store....... It's a dream guitar.

Don't buy a Parker unless you're filthy rich or a pro that needs super high top quality.

Robbgnarly 10-14-2012 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamgur96
Well you better start saving up. :haha:

The cheepest Parker you can get (new) is like $4,000 (Parker is super high quality. From the carbon fiber fretboard to piezo to the tremolo bridge to the pickups).

The EBMM JP model is much cheaper and sounds and feels orgasmic, I'm currently saving up for a EBMM JPX7, i've played it once at a music store....... It's a dream guitar.

Don't buy a Parker unless you're filthy rich or a pro that needs super high top quality.

The Parker I played was bought for $1400USD used :shrug: but that was 10 yrs ago also.

jwoodbury3571 10-14-2012 11:02 AM

I just got a PRS P24 with the Piezo. It's pretty sweet when you run it to an acoustic amp.

adamgur96 10-14-2012 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
The Parker I played was bought for $1400USD used :shrug: but that was 10 yrs ago also.


Well yeah, 10 years ago Parkers were at a descent price....

But ever since Ken Parker (founder of Parker guitars) died, Parker are very very very expensive.

Delboyuk_01 10-14-2012 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalloy
thank you guys, that was reall helpful.
Now one more question regarding running 2amps, an electric and an acoustic, from a piezo equipped electric guitar having only one single output, How do i do that? using a line slector perhaps?


The stereo lead has one plug at one end and 2 at the other. If you don't want to use 2 amps then you just use a regular lead. It's so better having the 2 amps though.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:09 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.