UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Techniques (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Rhythm guitar (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1567830)

CryogenicHusk 10-14-2012 09:33 AM

Rhythm guitar

Any good songs for practicing your right hand rhythm technique? Something like Fear Factory but for 6 strings and preferably E standard (Maybe D standard/drop D. I think my strings are too low a gauge to go lower than that). Some jazz would be ok, too, but I can easily open my jazz standards book for that and learn something. For metal, I need suggestions since I usually listen to stuff like Malmsteen or Cacophony. I've decided to take a temporary break from trying to learn solos and focus on Rhythm and theory. Suggestions?

Brandeis 10-14-2012 09:50 AM

Long train running - doobie brothers

timothy95 10-14-2012 09:53 AM

Over The Wall by Testament, it's got a bunch of different right hand techniques.

EpiExplorer 10-14-2012 10:14 AM

Insomnia by Haken, lots of precise alternate stuff. Also a very good tab of it on this site

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/h/h..._guitar_pro.htm

StrykVladzimsky 10-14-2012 10:32 AM

Sylosis, man. Sylosis.

Sakke 10-14-2012 11:33 AM

Well, practicing down-picking never hurts. And that's Metallica, for sure. I am serious. I am not a big fan of Metallica but songs like Seek and Destroy & Ride The Lightning really helped my down and alternate picking. Master of Puppets is of course the ultimate down-picking rehearsal for me, when it comes to metal.

Scratcher17 10-14-2012 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykVladzimsky
Sylosis, man. Sylosis.

This.
Also, if you're willing to tune down to Drop D, you could play some Tool.

CryogenicHusk 10-14-2012 06:06 PM

Cool. Thank you all. Also Pantera's Cowboys from Hell just came to mind.

Sickz 10-15-2012 01:13 AM

Not sure it fits your musical style, since you dident mention it. But funk guitar is a great way to improve right hand.

Everything from old funk (James Brown, Tower of Power etc) to funk rock (Early chili peppers, extreme) is great to develop your sense of rhythm, in both hands.

CryogenicHusk 10-15-2012 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickz
Not sure it fits your musical style, since you dident mention it. But funk guitar is a great way to improve right hand.

Everything from old funk (James Brown, Tower of Power etc) to funk rock (Early chili peppers, extreme) is great to develop your sense of rhythm, in both hands.

Sounds good to me too. The more styles I learn the merrier (even pop is good). But with metal I didn't have good ideas because most of what I listen to is either lead-centric stuff like Cacophony and Malmsteen or really old stuff like early Sabbath and Blue Cheer which are arguably more blues rock than metal.

I recently checked out Fear Factory and the rhythms really caught my attention in Demanfacture, Fear Campaign, and some other tunes (unfortunately Dino plays 8/7 strings and/or lower tunings), which is why I started asking about metal preferably in E standard (but like I said, my strings can take D standard and drop D just fine too and there's no reason to think they wouldn't take e-flat standard just as well... It's just that I like not having to change tunings for every song I play and most of what I play right now is in E standard like Led Zep and early Sabbath).

Sickz 10-15-2012 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryogenicHusk
Sounds good to me too. The more styles I learn the merrier (even pop is good). But with metal I didn't have good ideas because most of what I listen to is either lead-centric stuff like Cacophony and Malmsteen or really old stuff like early Sabbath and Blue Cheer which are arguably more blues rock than metal.

I recently checked out Fear Factory and the rhythms really caught my attention in Demanfacture, Fear Campaign, and some other tunes (unfortunately Dino plays 8/7 strings and/or lower tunings), which is why I started asking about metal preferably in E standard (but like I said, my strings can take D standard and drop D just fine too and there's no reason to think they wouldn't take e-flat standard just as well... It's just that I like not having to change tunings for every song I play and most of what I play right now is in E standard like Led Zep and early Sabbath).

Well incase of more metal oriented styles i'd recommend progressive metal. If anything is going to up your rhythm skills it is that.

Check out bands such as:
Dream Theater
Symphony X
Seventh Wonder
Pagan's Mind
Circus Maximus
Protest the hero (not prog metal but still very good)
Vanden Plas
Anubis Gate
Planet X

Despite being bands that are very lead heavy, they also have very much amazing rhythm guitar work. I promise they are atleast worth to check out.

Cheers, and good luck!

CryogenicHusk 10-15-2012 02:58 PM

Quote:
Well incase of more metal oriented styles i'd recommend progressive metal. If anything is going to up your rhythm skills it is that.

Check out bands such as:
Dream Theater
Symphony X
Seventh Wonder
Pagan's Mind
Circus Maximus
Protest the hero (not prog metal but still very good)
Vanden Plas
Anubis Gate
Planet X

Despite being bands that are very lead heavy, they also have very much amazing rhythm guitar work. I promise they are atleast worth to check out.

Cheers, and good luck!

Ah yes I'm very familiar with Dream Theater and Planet X. I'll check out the others too. Got a couple of specific songs in mind?

Sickz 10-15-2012 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryogenicHusk
Ah yes I'm very familiar with Dream Theater and Planet X. I'll check out the others too. Got a couple of specific songs in mind?

Well, what comes to mind right at the moment.

Dream Theater - Eretomania.
Planet X - Alien Hip hop.
Symphony X - Set the world on fire.
Circus maximus - Sin.
Anubis Gate - Desiderio Omnibus.
Seventh Wonder - Mercy falls.
Protest the hero - Bloodmeat.
Pagan's mind - God's equation.

You might want to check out the "exteme progressive metal bands" aswell, also what some people call Djent. Anything that people would label as "techincal metal" really will improve your rhythm guitar ability, but so will funk and jazz, just in other ways. Anyways, that would be bands like.

Periphery
Meshuggah
Vildhjarta
Tesseract
Textures
Born of osiris
Veil of maya
The faceless

GazzaCee 10-15-2012 03:32 PM

Quote:
Well, what comes to mind right at the moment.

Dream Theater - Eretomania.
Planet X - Alien Hip hop.
Symphony X - Set the world on fire.
Circus maximus - Sin.
Anubis Gate - Desiderio Omnibus.
Seventh Wonder - Mercy falls.
Protest the hero - Bloodmeat.
Pagan's mind - God's equation.

You might want to check out the "exteme progressive metal bands" aswell, also what some people call Djent. Anything that people would label as "techincal metal" really will improve your rhythm guitar ability, but so will funk and jazz, just in other ways. Anyways, that would be bands like.

Periphery
Meshuggah
Vildhjarta
Tesseract
Textures
Born of osiris
Veil of maya
The faceless

Lots of those bands use 7/8 strings and tune down pretty far, making them unsuitable for TS. But if he was able to get a 7 string or whatever, yes, these would be fantastic for rhythm.

CryogenicHusk 10-15-2012 03:41 PM

@Sickz awesome! I'll check those prog metal songs out. Yeah I'll look into those funk bands you mentioned. I have been looking into jazz as well. Learned a couple of standards, and working on a couple more.

@GazzaCee darn it.

Sickz 10-15-2012 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazzaCee
Lots of those bands use 7/8 strings and tune down pretty far, making them unsuitable for TS. But if he was able to get a 7 string or whatever, yes, these would be fantastic for rhythm.

He could learn them in standard/drop D tuning though. I did before i got my 8 string. :)

Bloodbath Salt 10-19-2012 02:19 AM

FU wangwu0510 you spamming trash
Opeth - Master's Apprentices (E std) or Blackwater Park (drop D). Or Heir Apparent (E std). That song uses the widest array of rhythm techniques (including using a slide) I've heard in a single song.

Scratcher17 10-20-2012 08:10 AM

Also, you could play Lamb of God songs, pretty much all of them are in Drop D tuning.

lfcagger 10-20-2012 09:57 AM

Early Trivium is your friend. Ascendancy is all in Drop D or E Standard, and the current stuff is Drop Db.

Scratcher17 11-25-2012 04:16 PM

If you're willing to play in D standard, then Gojira all the way.