UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Pit (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   A question to those of you who play(ed) in a band... (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1567843)

xinzilla 10-14-2012 11:28 AM

A question to those of you who play(ed) in a band...

For those of you who play in a band. In order to perform at top, do you think that the members all have their own preferences regarding the volume balance of the different instruments?

For example, a bass player maybe want to hear himself and drums the most, whilst the lead guitarist maybe want to hear the rhythm guitar the most.

Please answer in poll :)

Bob_Sacamano 10-14-2012 11:29 AM

Perhaps but the sound should generally be balanced equally regardless.

L2112Lif 10-14-2012 11:36 AM

That's what in-ear or stage monitors are for.

stratman_13 10-14-2012 11:41 AM

Monitors are your best friend. Everyone should usually be about the same level and the final mix and levels are obviously taken care of at the board.

Paraffinity 10-14-2012 11:44 AM

Like said, get some good moniters and a PA system then there's nothing to worry about.

Trowzaa 10-14-2012 11:45 AM

Of course they do, but if they had their own way then they'd be the loudest.

Random3 10-14-2012 11:49 AM

Yes, but as has already been said, that is what in-ear monitors are for.

L2112Lif 10-14-2012 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xinzilla
For those of you who play in a band. In order to perform at top, do you think that the members all have their own preferences regarding the volume balance of the different instruments?

For example, a bass player maybe want to hear himself and drums the most, whilst the lead guitarist maybe want to hear the rhythm guitar the most.

Please answer in poll :)

Kinda difficult to just answer this one in a poll because the wording is hella weird. I don't even know if I should answer as M. Bison or what, because your question half contradicts itself.

ffaf12 10-14-2012 12:09 PM

Should be balanced the lead in our band constantly wanted to be louder and louder to the point where he even drowned out our drummer non of us could concentrate

donender 10-14-2012 12:23 PM

Should sound balanced as a whole, but i think the bassist and drummer mostly want to hear eachother in order to lock in, so as long as the monitoring is good, and the bassist is standing in a good position, they should get the best of both worlds.

When i have played in bands before, people sometimes step off the stage whilst playing to make sure everything sounds balanced during soundcheck.

rockownsyou 10-24-2012 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trowzaa
Of course they do, but if they had their own way then they'd be the loudest.

Not remotely true. If you are a good musician, you should want to make sure the music sounds the best it possibly can.

If I am playing drums at a show, I want my monitor to have bass above everything. The bass and drums should be in perfect time with each other. My drum throne has a build in amp that, when plugged into a line out from a bass amp or sound board, vibrates every time the bassist hits a note. This makes it easier for us to stay perfectly synched together.

If I am singing, I want my vocals to be slightly louder than the other vocals in the monitor mix, to make sure that I am not off key and my harmonies/melody is in tune with everyone else.

darkwolf291 10-24-2012 04:00 AM

Of course they do.
It's why they each get their own monitor, and the sound guy sends them their preferred mix

beau05 10-24-2012 04:40 AM

For me, I'm not too fussed when I'm on stage, just as long as I can hear the drums predominantly, with the bass, vocal, and 2nd guitars at the same level.

At our last gig about 2 weeks ago, for some reason all I heard was myself coming through the monitors, turned up to f*ckin 11, was deaf as f*ck for about 20 minutes afterwards, and I messed up a few times because all I could hear was myself. However, according to the dudes in the crowd it sounded awesome, and everyone could be heard equally. So I guess it depends, and whats most important is what it sounds like out in the crowd