UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gear Building & Customizing (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   replacing a guitar neck (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1568521)

SilverSpurs616 10-18-2012 02:59 PM

replacing a guitar neck
 
Hey all :)

I have a JS100 which I like but it has has 22 frets, and I really don't like that part. Is it practical to replace the neck with a 24 fret one? What things do I need to be aware of?

J_W 10-18-2012 03:13 PM

Pretty sure you can't just slap a 24 fret neck on. It changes the scale length of the guitar and the intonation will not be right.

slapsymcdougal 10-18-2012 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_W
Pretty sure you can't just slap a 24 fret neck on. It changes the scale length of the guitar and the intonation will not be right.

It needn't change the scale length, as the first 22 frets could be exactly the same.
If anything, the issue would be the location of the neck pickup rout, and the fretboard(not the neck) would be longer.

T00DEEPBLUE 10-18-2012 04:20 PM

Reminds me of this thread.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1547472

slapsymcdougal 10-18-2012 04:25 PM

Yea, I just reread what I wrote.
What I meant was the scale length and number of frets aren't related in a "more frets = longer scale length" way. You can fit 24 frets into a 25" scale just as easily as 22 or 21, only some 24 fret bodies have the neck pickup moved closer to the bridge, so that the last frets don;t overhang the cavity.

J_W 10-18-2012 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapsymcdougal
Yea, I just reread what I wrote.
What I meant was the scale length and number of frets aren't related in a "more frets = longer scale length" way. You can fit 24 frets into a 25" scale just as easily as 22 or 21, only some 24 fret bodies have the neck pickup moved closer to the bridge, so that the last frets don;t overhang the cavity.


I didn't mean to imply that more frets = longer scale length. I was thinking the 24th would be where the 22nd was thus lengthening the fretboard. Does a 24 fret neck always have the 23rd and 24th frets overhanging onto the body? I will be the first to admit I'm no expert when it comes to the actual building of guitars.

T00DEEPBLUE 10-18-2012 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_W
Does a 24 fret neck always have the 23rd and 24th frets overhanging onto the body?

No. Set neck and neck-through guitars don't.

W4RP1G 10-18-2012 10:03 PM

Looking at the JS100, it almost look like you could fit a 24 fret neck on it if you were to cut away part of the humbucker ring and chisel out that piece of wood between the neck and pickup. But even then it'd be pretty close, and you'd probably have to cut the neck down or remove the pickup.

It's not a particularly nice or expensive guitar. Just sell it and buy and RG, or trade for one.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:04 PM.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.