UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Bandleading (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Afraid to sing (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1568679)

silly6-string 10-19-2012 11:40 AM

Afraid to sing

I need help to break my shell on singing. How to do it? I can sing not great but when ppl are over I get nervous etc. how to get over this?

karateguy29 10-19-2012 12:08 PM

I found it easier to begin by singing in front of people I didn't know... ie open mics, busking, stuff like that. I always felt more self-concious around people I knew, but after singing for strangers, it wasn't a big deal anymore.

HotspurJr 10-19-2012 12:16 PM

I found that lessons really helped.

Getting a solid grounding in technique can help you be confident that your voice will do what you want it to do.

deadlydictator 10-19-2012 12:23 PM

Don't give any ****s about what people think

DonRoos 10-19-2012 03:14 PM

Be confident. If you ar eunsure you are likely to miss notes and falter. The best way to gain confidence are to have your voice trained so you know how to warm up and get some guidance on proper technique. The you have to practice. We all have to break the ice and sooner or later you will have to sing in front of people and people you know. Bite the bullet and go for it. People are not always as judgmental as yolu think they might be - unless you suck and then it is better that somebody tells you nicely than finding out on an Idols audition in front of the whole world.

gorkyporky 10-21-2012 04:18 PM

As people said before, its easier to sing to strangers. I have been giging reguraly for almost 5 years now, and i have no problem singing at a gig. I actualy love it.

At home its a different matter tho, i still dont dare to sing in front of my family and friends.

Anyway, just do it, when you have to sing, sing, and it wil become much easier very fast. Thats pretty much the only thing you can do. Except get drunk i guess, have two beers before a gig, and you will sing your heart out :D

King Of Suede 10-21-2012 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadlydictator

Basically that.
It's a confidence thing. As long as you're honest about what you're singing, it's pretty easy to let loose.
I normally just close my eyes or don't look at people and move around a lot.
If you put it in your body, it will be a lot easier to let your emotions out, therefore making it easier to put on a great performance.

silly6-string 10-22-2012 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorkyporky
As people said before, its easier to sing to strangers. I have been giging reguraly for almost 5 years now, and i have no problem singing at a gig. I actualy love it.

At home its a different matter tho, i still dont dare to sing in front of my family and friends.

Anyway, just do it, when you have to sing, sing, and it wil become much easier very fast. Thats pretty much the only thing you can do. Except get drunk i guess, have two beers before a gig, and you will sing your heart out :D

Takes more than 2 bud. : ). I get your drift. Thanks.

tukk04 10-23-2012 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadlydictator

This ^ You gotta own it whether you're good or not. If you aren't confident, pretend you are or wear sunglasses. Stare at people in the crowd if you have to. I've played quite a few shows since I started gigging a year and a half ago, and I still have trouble not turning my back when I'm just playing, so I force myself to sing backup on songs I don't sing lead so I have to face the crowd.

Jamler3 11-19-2012 09:24 AM

I could always sing on pitch and sang songs well when singing along with tunes...
Then my band said; take vocals on some songs... What I found, is that singing and playing
together is a different thing... I'm assuming you can sing and its just fright or you're wavy?
What I learned:
1. Breathing at the right times is key to good vocals
- (Listen to song and note places where you must breath)
2. Never let the vocal fail while playing along.
- (Guitar parts have to be known COLD, if you have to think of a chord or playing vox suffer)
- (If in band, you may be able to stop your playing to nail the vocal, if solo get it COLD)

Remember this is all assuming you can sing well... If you're suffering confidence problems and
may need a little vocal work, then start with a few lessons. You can probably find some
interval piano training on Youtube... Good luck; I've come a long way with this experience,
and if you can sing, you too will eventually nail it well!