UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gear Building & Customizing (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Telecore Shred-ocaster build :P (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1568774)

W4RP1G 10-19-2012 11:30 PM

Telecore Shred-ocaster build :P

Ok, it's about time I stop procrastinating and post what I'm currently working on. Basically I wanted to make something that was built for shredding but inspired by a tele. Sorry for the lousy pics, they were taken on my cell phone :o Also, I have a hard time remembering to take pics, so some steps weren't documented.

Specs:

Basswood/quilted maple body
Maple/walnut neck
Birdseye maple fretboard
20" radius
1 3/4" nut
24 frets
25.5" scale
Tele style bridge w/ humbucker (cheap bridge from Guitar Jones. Feels solid though)
Grover tuners
Seymour Duncan Blackout pickups

Here's my template. Not a good one, the waist seems a little off:

You can't tell in the pic, but the "maple" is a cherry color. Everyone thinks it's cherry at first. It was pretty cheap, $5 a bf, so it's nothing amazing but I think it looks cool:

Basswood body blank with quilted maple cap:

After glue-up. I wish I'd taken a pic of it while it was clamped. I used a ridiculous number of clamps on it because I'm paranoid:

5-piece maple/walnut neck:

Body shaped. Definitely nothing like the original template. I made the neck heel rounded, and the horn is deeper to allow better 24th fret access. And you can see my first idea for the headstock was kinda Ernie Ball inspired:

After the body and fretboard are bound. I definitely missed a few photo opportunities along the way. The fretboard is birdseye maple. You can see my new headstock design too. Please excuse the mess:

W4RP1G 10-19-2012 11:35 PM

Back to work on the neck. Got the headstock shaped and added the maple cap, and the truss rod is in:

Fretboard is glues on, neck is trimmed, and headstock is bound:

Neck pocket and neck humbucker route:

Shaping:

Neck is Shaped:

Side dots added:

W4RP1G 10-19-2012 11:44 PM

Putting things into perspective:

Neck after fretting:

Added this sweet beveled edge using advice from this thread(thanks woad_yurt, I took your advice):

And this is where I'm currently at, finishing :( Applied a black oil-based dye. I'll sand it back and stain it with green to pop the figure tomorrow:

ginger ninja102 10-20-2012 01:39 AM

Nice and neat looking thus far

whoomit 10-20-2012 07:33 AM

That's a nice piece of wood for $5! The bevelling looks a lot nicer on this then it did on the guitar you posted in the other thread in my opinion, good job.

When did you start this?

slapsymcdougal 10-20-2012 07:54 AM

Do want.

W4RP1G 10-20-2012 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoomit
That's a nice piece of wood for $5! The bevelling looks a lot nicer on this then it did on the guitar you posted in the other thread in my opinion, good job.

When did you start this?

Thanks! I started this in the last week of August.

Darkdevil725 10-20-2012 12:34 PM

Looking good so far. My friend has something he called a Shredcaster, it was a squier tele affinity body with a jackson neck.

Wisthekiller 10-21-2012 04:28 PM

I always thought you put frets on BEFORE binding?

W4RP1G 10-21-2012 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisthekiller
I always thought you put frets on BEFORE binding?

I suppose if you were't going to overlap the binding with the fret, that would be the only way to do it. I would never do that though, that would make the sides of the fretboard wasted space.

EspTro 10-21-2012 06:36 PM

ahhhh u painted it

Kevin Saale 10-21-2012 07:26 PM

Thats awesome.

W4RP1G 10-21-2012 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspTro
ahhhh u painted it

No, that was black dye. My intent was to sand it back to pop the grain before I stained it green. But that didn't work out because the figuring is so inconsistent(bargain bin quilted maple :rolleyes: ), so some spots were black and others were not. I ended up sanding away all of the black and going for just green:

However, I did not like how dark that green ended up being, so I lightly sanded it:

I think that looks better, and the figuring pops very nicely when wet:

The issue that that method, was that some areas, like edges, sanded back a little more than the rest, giving it a faded look. I actually like it, so I think that's how I'll leave it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Saale
Thats awesome.

Stratus475 10-22-2012 05:45 PM

John 5 would approve.

Explorerbuilder 10-22-2012 07:30 PM

Probably going to have trouble with a regular Tele bridge with a 20" radius.

Nico the Great 10-22-2012 07:30 PM

This is sexy. I want one. :cheers:

George Juggles 10-22-2012 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratus475
John 5 would approve.

:cheers:

I thought of him too.

W4RP1G 10-23-2012 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorerbuilder
Probably going to have trouble with a regular Tele bridge with a 20" radius.

Why is that? It's just like any other fender style bridge, with the tiny allen screws to adjust the height of each string.

W4RP1G 10-25-2012 04:11 PM

So, I wasn't completely satisfied with the color green I ended up with, it wasn't as bright as the green I originally intended to make. So, I bit the bullet, sanded back, and started over!

Here's the green I wanted from the beginning. Someone called it "acid green" and I think it fits:

I think it works well with the black hardware:

Some shellac added to seal it. The lighting blows:

Also, the fretboard has been coated with satin polyethylene. I looks really good, but I forget to take photos of it.

Anchr 10-25-2012 05:40 PM

How much you want for it? I'd buy it :p Looks awesome man, good job!