UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Electric Guitar (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Telecaster Strap Buttons - Question. (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1569066)

Charvel1995 10-21-2012 08:30 PM

Telecaster Strap Buttons - Question.

Hi, so I got myself a Tele on Friday night, and when I got it the fellow that had it said it was very prone to having the strap fall off. he told me that if I played it standing up, there was a possibility that the button wouldn't support the strap and it would just fail and the strap would come off. He said to take a rubber washer and put it on as a strap lock to sort of combat this.

My question is, are Tele's more prone to this than other guitars. I've had my strap fall off of other guitars, I mean no strap button is totally perfect and I'm well aware of that. I'll get strap locks for it when I take it to the local tech to get it set up. But this kind of struck me as odd.

tl;dr: Are Tele's more prone to having the strap fall off than any other guitar like a Strat or LP?

HomerSGR 10-21-2012 08:53 PM

There is no bigger problem than with other guitars. I would rather say that a Telecaster's placement of strap-buttons in relation to its weight distrubution would make it more trustworthy than most in that regard. A Les Paul for instance has a much more risky positioning of the upper strap-button.

As always, nothing is certain - not even strap-locks. Screws can come loose, and they may fail in others ways. Always check every time you pick up your guitar to minimize the risk of it being damaged.

tukk04 10-21-2012 10:59 PM

I find my tele to be the sturdiest of any of my guitars when it comes to the strap popping off, my LP copy is f-ing terrible for this and I still have yet to get strap locks for it. But in all seriousness just get straplocks if you're worried, like $13 for dunlop ones of $3 for the plastic ones that fit on the existing button, basically a more elegant version of rubber washers.

KG6_Steven 10-21-2012 11:41 PM

My custom shop Tele came with locking straplocks. Never had a problem with it. My wife's Gibson LP is the only that worries me. The strap button on that one is rather small and at an angle that just begs for the strap to disconnect and send the guitar flying.

sideslick 10-22-2012 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6_Steven
My custom shop Tele came with locking straplocks. Never had a problem with it. My wife's Gibson LP is the only that worries me. The strap button on that one is rather small and at an angle that just begs for the strap to disconnect and send the guitar flying.

Sorry for being off topic here, but seriously man, I'm jealous.

I want a girlfriend who shares my interest in guitar. I don't know many girls in my high school who have any interest in actually playing my favorite genres of music. I know many who listen, but none who play.

Maybe a wife, eventually. Who knows. I just want someone that I can be friends with...

---

Back on topic:

I have Schaller locks on my Spalted Maple Tele. I had to use toothpicks to fill the holes, since the screws with the locks are a bit smaller than the stock screws. Even with a quick-fix like that, I have had zero problems, and zero close-calls since the install.

When I still had the stock-pins, they held up most of the time, but close-calls were had. I'm glad I developed the kinds of reflexes to catch it while my multiple squier strats were damaged, and not my prized Tele.

With the Schallers, I can be so much more active onstage. I actually just recently started spinning in circles on bigger stages. I've developed that kind of confidence in these locks. They are built to last.

As I've read in multiple places: They are pretty much a $17 insurance policy. I am with those who I just quoted. The Schallers will save your guitar.

trashedlostfdup 10-22-2012 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideslick
Sorry for being off topic here, but seriously man, I'm jealous.

I want a girlfriend who shares my interest in guitar. I don't know many girls in my high school who have any interest in actually playing my favorite genres of music. I know many who listen, but none who play.

Maybe a wife, eventually. Who knows. I just want someone that I can be friends with...

my wife plays as well, mainly my gear, but she has some of "her" stuff, but we play whatever.

it really helps in a relationship (for me anyway) to be able to express ourselves in another way that not everybody does. she doesn't really play my genres a ton, but we do play together on some of her stuff and some of mine.

back on topic.

schaller straplocks. LP's are way more prone for a strap falling. trust me i caught mine on the way down once or twice in the time it took the strap locks to get here (from MF)

i haven't owned a tele for a while, but its best to be safe, although teles can take a beating. a slab of wood with a stick bolted down. that makes it pretty resilient.

Charvel1995 10-22-2012 07:35 AM

I had Schallers on my old Ibanez Gio when it was my only guitar that worked. They saved it.

I guess I'm asking as to why he would say Tele's are more prone to faling off the straps. The general consensus seems to be that an LP would be more prone to it due to button placement.

mark66saints 10-22-2012 08:13 AM

The first time I ever took my Tele (which was close enough to brand new) to my drummer's place to start up my band, my strap came undone and my guitar hit the floor. It got a little chip on the horn, to this day the only damage to that guitar. A little while later I got some cheap strap locks, and hated them. The screws kept coming out of the guitar, and they looked pretty damn ugly. Now I've just got gaffer's tape holding down the strap, which I reckon looks pretty cool, but some people hate it.

If you're worried, go and find strap locks. But just remember that not all locks are as good as good as each other. I think part of it is finding a strap that has ends that can support the weight of the guitar, as well.

sideslick 10-22-2012 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
my wife plays as well, mainly my gear, but she has some of "her" stuff, but we play whatever.

it really helps in a relationship (for me anyway) to be able to express ourselves in another way that not everybody does. she doesn't really play my genres a ton, but we do play together on some of her stuff and some of mine.

back on topic.

schaller straplocks. LP's are way more prone for a strap falling. trust me i caught mine on the way down once or twice in the time it took the strap locks to get here (from MF)

i haven't owned a tele for a while, but its best to be safe, although teles can take a beating. a slab of wood with a stick bolted down. that makes it pretty resilient.

I repeat: I am very jealous of the wife/girlfriend. Even with my lack of a relationship at all right now, I still want someone like that.

-kinda-back-on-topic-

My Tele is a special edition Spalted Maple with a set neck. It almost looks like it could be neck-through to the untrained eye.

No bolts here: No chance for any neck replacement.

Strap locks are a must for me. I can't risk my baby. With its D'Addario heavy-gauge .12's and an aftermarket Seymour Duncan Invader in the bridge: it's MY dream guitar.

OP, get some locks if you love your guitar.

KG6_Steven 10-22-2012 07:11 PM

I'd be curious to know what the ratio of female guitars players is to male players. I was certainly lucky to find a woman who loves music and loves playing it. She plays guitar, piano and drums and is also wanting to learn either saxophone or clarinet. I'm happy just playing guitar and piano. One nice thing about our marriage is the his and her's Mesa Boogie amps - she has the Lonestar Special and I have a regular Lonestar. The other good part is that she understands my GAS. Now I know you guys are really jealous! lol

Back on topic: The Tele I own uses the Schaller locks. I really like them. One part mounts permanently on the strap, while the other part mounts to the guitar. Did I say that I really like them?

krehzeekid 10-22-2012 07:20 PM

my tele (G&L ASAT Classic) was actually quite bad when it came to having the strap fall off. It seems to have been an issue with the buttons themselves though- they were a really dumb conical shape.

anyways, strap buttons are the easiest thing to replace on a guitar (quicker than a string change!), so getting a locking system shouldn't be too tough

trashedlostfdup 10-23-2012 12:37 AM

schaller makes the best straplocks. even if the mechanism would fail, you would likely still have it on because it comes from the bottom and the strap side would still hold it. i have used them for a long time and its all i would use. throw a tooth pick and a little bit of glue in there and screw them in, wipe off the glue from the surface and they will stay.

on the strap side where it screws together, use some temporary loctite when you screw it together (i can never remember which color is which).

whoomit 10-23-2012 03:56 AM

Sounds like he just has a shitty strap. Cheap straps with cheap, thin, leather ends tend to fall off of anything easily.

sideslick 10-23-2012 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoomit
Sounds like he just has a shitty strap. Cheap straps with cheap, thin, leather ends tend to fall off of anything easily.

My old Planet Waves strap had thick ends that were REALLY brittle. They started to crack and weaken, as it required removal for the hard-case. They wore out REALLY fast.

One on my first guitars was victim to this faulty strap while I was jamming in my bedroom in my early weeks of playing. The neck actually was actually ripped off of the body by the screws!

Rest in piece, my first Strat...

Schaller locks don't let the strap get worn out. The stress of removal falls on the locking mechanism, itself.

Again, OP: Get some Schallers. They work.

trashedlostfdup 10-24-2012 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoomit

i dont care what strap you have, i still wouldn't put it on an LP and trust it not to fall off.

i realize that we are talking with a tele and it isn't as bad, but IMO straplocks are a must.

~$15 is pretty cheap insurance for a $1000 instrument or whatever the guitar is worth.