UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Electric Guitar (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   8 string guitar help (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1569119)

Joker-82 10-22-2012 05:21 AM

8 string guitar help

Hey guys, after a lot of thinking I've decided to get an eight string guitar for Christmas. What should I know about them? What tunings you prefer the most? I'm thinking of an Agile Septor and spending about 650 , better models for the same price? Thanks in advance.

Joker-82 10-22-2012 05:43 AM

Please help me

W4RP1G 10-22-2012 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker-82
Hey guys, after a lot of thinking I've decided to get an eight string guitar for Christmas. What should I know about them? What tunings you prefer the most? I'm thinking of an Agile Septor and spending about 650 , better models for the same price? Thanks in advance.

If I were to get one, it would probably be tuned to AEBGDAEB or a step down from that. I just see no real good use for the low F# string, unless I played all of my rhythms around or above the 12th fret(which I guess would be pretty sweet is done right). But don't take me too seriously, I don't even play my 7 string.

OldEscape 10-22-2012 06:34 AM

Damn... that's the whole purpose of buying an 8 string guitar to me... finding the tunings that suit you best with your instrument...

CGDAEGDA

DGDGBDA

EADADGAD

F#ADADF#AD

I can go on, but it's just more fun to experiment yourself instead of having someone list all of it out for you... ultimately what you do with it is up to you, dude...

Edit:
Personally I wouldn't buy an Agile, I'd go to the ESP custom shop or get a Black Machine... maybe you should save the 650, continue to add to that and shop a little more... and maybe not, I'm sure the Agile fans here will be coming with the torches and pitchforks before long. Agiles just aren't for me, maybe they're for you, though.

Mind_Reader7 10-22-2012 06:45 AM

The tuning really comes down to what you want to play. I mean, no point taking it below standard if you're not even going to use such low notes. I've been using open tunings for several years, and I don't think anyone (I haven't heard of anyone) uses open tunings on an 8 string guitar.

EpiExplorer 10-22-2012 07:33 AM

Why not experiment with an Open tuning? it'd sound wierd, but probably also awesome:

D F A# F A# F A D

jeleopard 10-22-2012 09:32 AM

Go the Joshua Travis way and tune EBEBEF#BE

Personally, I'd probably just stick to standard, but what ever works for you man.

As for which guitar, get an Ibanez RGA8. You probably don't want to order an Agile over there. Agile's pretty much an American exclusive brand, and shipping would be very expensive, and it could get pretty damaged on the way there.

Heideck 10-22-2012 01:12 PM

RG* are great guitars, there is just the pick ups that arent super

dannyalcatraz 10-22-2012 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldEscape
Damn... that's the whole purpose of buying an 8 string guitar to me... finding the tunings that suit you best with your instrument...

CGDAEGDA

Noting that CGDAEG is Robert Fripp's New Standard Tuning, I went looking to find out about artists modifying NST for 7+ stringed guitars- here's what Wikipedia had to say:

Quote:
NST has been adapted for instruments besides guitar. Trey Gunn (Crimson's touch-guitar player from 1994 to 2003) and Markus Reuter (TUNER with Crimson drummer Pat Mastelotto)[28] have adapted NST for their 8- and 10-string instruments; in 2007 Reuter used a B♭-F-C-G-D-A-C-D tuning. Finnish musician Heikki Malmberg uses a 7-string guitar tuned in NST with an additional low F when he is not playing drums.

dannyalcatraz 10-22-2012 02:46 PM

I've heard good things about BC Ritch & Shechter's 8s...as long as you stay away from their entry-level models.

jeleopard 10-22-2012 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
I've heard good things about BC Ritch & Shechter's 8s...as long as you stay away from their entry-level models.

BC Riches don't make 8 strings outside of custom shops.

FenderBender72 10-22-2012 04:28 PM

You can really spice things up and tune to GAGDAFAG

jeleopard 10-22-2012 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderBender72
You can really spice things up and tune to GAGDAFAG

I laughed so hard.