UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Electric Guitar (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Thinking of buying. Jackson soloist SLXQ (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1569269)

UFC on VHS 10-22-2012 10:43 PM

Thinking of buying. Jackson soloist SLXQ. TremeloNO

Ok well been looking around for a new guitar carefully for which seems like forever and I found this one for $500 Canadian and I really like it.

http://images.guitarcenter.com/prod...001_natural.jpg

My only problem is the tremelo I would rather not have it but all the higher end jacksons and ibanez guitars seem to have it. Now I'm not lazy and don't mind a little extra work but the fact is I have no interest in using it. So my delima/question is if I have no intentions of using the whammy bar would there be any disadvantages in taking it off and simply not using it? Does it effect anything? (besides not being able to change tuning easily)

Drmckool 10-22-2012 10:49 PM

If you don't like it put a piece of wood, or something similarily hard (such as a 9v battery underneath it, though I would not recommend that). They are personally not my favorite systems, but you can get around them if you like the guitar enough otherwise. However I do have to admit they are fun to do divebombs on.

Also if you are in the market and in Toronto for a little more money I'll sell you an SL3 Soloist I no longer want for $750 (I paid $1400 for it). Matte black, Seymour Duncan HSS pickups, Genuine Floyd Rose, and I never play it because I prefer hollow-bodies for my guitar tone.

jeleopard 10-22-2012 10:52 PM

I'd recommend not a battery.

Seems a little dangerous to put a battery there...

But yea, you could buy a tremel-no or put a block of wood to put on there.

UFC on VHS 10-22-2012 11:43 PM

Would most guitar shops be familiar would this tremelno?? Just searched it online seems just what I'm looking for but not so sure about installing it myself.

Although after looking on YouTube blocking with a piece of wood doesn't look so hard.

jeleopard 10-23-2012 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFC on VHS
Would most guitar shops be familiar would this tremelno?? Just searched it online seems just what I'm looking for but not so sure about installing it myself.

Although after looking on YouTube blocking with a piece of wood doesn't look so hard.

The tremol-no just replaces the tremolo claw and is put in the trem block like a spring.

Looks like that.

Wood is the cheaper way, but it might not work as well as the tremol-no. Like the tremol-no gives sustain, not sure of the block of wood does that.

UFC on VHS 10-23-2012 04:17 PM

Anyone have anything else to comment on the tremelno is it good?

T00DEEPBLUE 10-23-2012 04:21 PM

Yes. Its very effective.

Dellinger1988 10-23-2012 04:28 PM

I prefer the ESP Arming Adjuster.. well its something else to think about anyway.

jeleopard 10-23-2012 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFC on VHS
Anyone have anything else to comment on the tremelno is it good?

All the dudes in Periphery use it.

T00DEEPBLUE 10-23-2012 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeleopard
All the dudes in Periphery use it.

I'm not saying that the tremel-no is a bad product, but i hate it when people say this.

"X band uses it, it must be good!"

People who use statements like that are a marketer's wet dream. It pretty much proves that no matter how shitty a product is, if you attach it with something that isn't shit it makes people buy it.

God knows how many famous people use iPhones, that doesn't mean that its a great product.

OliOsbourne 10-23-2012 05:06 PM

Tremolno should work fine

jeleopard 10-23-2012 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
I'm not saying that the tremel-no is a bad product, but i hate it when people say this.

"X band uses it, it must be good!"

People who use statements like that are a marketer's wet dream. It pretty much proves that no matter how shitty a product is, if you attach it with something that isn't shit it makes people buy it.

God knows how many famous people use iPhones, that doesn't mean that its a great product.

I see your point.

But it is a good product :P

Bastyn99 10-24-2012 07:11 AM

Don't know about that guitar or particular FR, but I do know about blocking one. I've blocked the Edge Zero on my RG1570Z using a block of wood from an old table. I just cut of a small piece and filed it down until it fit in the crevice under the trem. It works great, tuning is no problem and sustain increased noticeably. So its definitely no problem blocking a tremolo, and it won't make the guitar worse, other than you of course wont be able to use the trem.
Sure if can be fun using an FR when it is set up, but setting it up is just such a PITA, and if you rarely use it, I would recommend blocking it.