UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Electric Guitar (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   New neck pickup suggestions. (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1569599)

!..!_Rock_!..! 10-24-2012 09:31 PM

New neck pickup suggestions.
 
I've got an Agile Al-2000. I've had it for a little over 7 months and I play it all the time. I play through a Boss DS-1 into a cheap solid state bass amp (Noteworthy AL-620B 20w if you wanna know). Anyways, I'm satisfied with the sound of the stock bridge pickup. On the other hand, the neck pickup is just boring. I can't get any good solo or classic rock sounds out of it so I want to get a pickup upgrade. I don't know anything about pickups so I'm lost. The ones that have caught my eye are the EMG H4 and the SD SH-8 Invader. Anybody have thoughts on these? Is there something else you'd recommend? Thanks.

H4T3BR33D3R 10-24-2012 09:39 PM

Is there a particular reason you want the invader? It's not really the first pickup I think of when I want a 'classic rock' sound. What do you like about it?

!..!_Rock_!..! 10-24-2012 09:51 PM

I just want to get rid of the old pickup because it can't even do classic rock much less any kind of metal which is what I play mostly. As for why I want the Invader. I won't lie: because Synyster Gates uses it (as well as both LoG guitarists) and his solos have the kind of sound that I like. (I do realize there is a lot more to his sound than pickups however.)

H4T3BR33D3R 10-24-2012 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by !..!_Rock_!..!
I just want to get rid of the old pickup because it can't even do classic rock much less any kind of metal which is what I play mostly. As for why I want the Invader. I won't lie: because Synyster Gates uses it (as well as both LoG guitarists) and his solos have the kind of sound that I like. (I do realize there is a lot more to his sound than pickups however.)


What are you looking for tone wise? Clear and articulate? Or something fat sounding? So you're mostly playing metal music? What's your current bridge pickup?


Sorry for asking so much but it's easier to answer your question this way.


Also the obvious answer is that a new amp will have the most drastic change in sound. Personally I find pickups to make very little difference but that's just me.

spiderjerusalem 10-24-2012 10:25 PM

Save your money for a new amp.

marianoarnaiz 10-24-2012 10:32 PM

Dimarzio Pickups are the best (in my humble opinion) I would sugest:

Neck: PAF® 36th Anniversary , LiquiFire or Air Norton

Bridge: Super Distortion, Norton or Tone Zone.

Visit dimarzio for specs :)

!..!_Rock_!..! 10-24-2012 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H4T3BR33D3R
What are you looking for tone wise? Clear and articulate? Or something fat sounding? So you're mostly playing metal music? What's your current bridge pickup?


Sorry for asking so much but it's easier to answer your question this way.


Also the obvious answer is that a new amp will have the most drastic change in sound. Personally I find pickups to make very little difference but that's just me.


Fat is more like it I'd say.

!..!_Rock_!..! 10-24-2012 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H4T3BR33D3R
What are you looking for tone wise? Clear and articulate? Or something fat sounding? So you're mostly playing metal music? What's your current bridge pickup?


Sorry for asking so much but it's easier to answer your question this way.


Also the obvious answer is that a new amp will have the most drastic change in sound. Personally I find pickups to make very little difference but that's just me.


My bridge pickup is just the stock Agile pickup.

What amp is good for around $150?

|Long| 10-24-2012 10:46 PM

If you are looking for classic rock tones, you want to look into the PAF pickups. What is your price range? There are many boutique PAF pickups that are quite expensive, but on a more general scale,

Seymour Duncan Seth Lover. These, I've heard from many are the most accurate sounding to the original Gibson PAFs. Also, they were made with the creator of the PAFs them selfs (Seth). Seymour Duncan Antiquities are also quite nice.

DiMarzio has a few PAF like pickups as well that I heard good things about, but from my understanding they weren't designed to replicate the PAF, but get close and add their own spin.


---
EDIT: By the looks of things though, getting a better amp may give you better mileage.

Rickshaw Jah 10-24-2012 10:53 PM

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampl...uitar-combo-amp
Save 50$ up or look used. Pickups aren't going to do anything for you through that bass amp.

|Long| 10-24-2012 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickshaw Jah
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampl...uitar-combo-amp
Save 50$ up or look used. Pickups aren't going to do anything for you through that bass amp.

I've heard a lot of good news about the Fender Mustang II as well,
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampl...uitar-combo-amp

Haven't tried it my self though.

BigHeadClan 10-24-2012 11:02 PM

Start saving them pennies and invest in a half decent amp, the 30 watt vyper isn't bad but it needs a speaker swap to really make it into something good and that would tack on about another 40-80 bucks.

But if you can't wait to have 350-500 bucks to drop on a good workhorse amp then the 30 watt is hard to beat.

dash-rendar 10-24-2012 11:19 PM

Yeah you need a new amp, but to better address your topic - I REALLY dig the Seymour Duncan Jazz for the neck pickup. I have one in my Washburn and it sound fantastic. Nice and warm sounding both clean and dirty. Really singing lead tones can be brought forth from this wonderful box of win

iam19feettall 10-25-2012 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash-rendar
Yeah you need a new amp, but to better address your topic - I REALLY dig the Seymour Duncan Jazz for the neck pickup. I have one in my Washburn and it sound fantastic. Nice and warm sounding both clean and dirty. Really singing lead tones can be brought forth from this wonderful box of win


1. I second the Jazz recommendation, it's really versatile, smooth with some punch that can clean up well or get some overdrive when pushed; it's very responsive.

2. Dash Rendar...damn, now that's a name. Excellent, excellent name.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:02 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.