UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   The Doom Thread! (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1569727)

VishNuRoXoUt 10-25-2012 03:30 PM

The Doom Thread!

So I couldn't find anything when I searched that was specific. But I'm a big fan of doom and stoner and the likes and I feel like there should be a place to discuss these matters in GG&A simply because I like UG more than many other places. Hopefully this won't get closed or anything. There just simply aren't enough picture and discussion posts that aren't spam-o-tron anymore.

So on with it.

What are you guys running to get your doom feels going? :haha:

I'm running this at the moment!

I'm making changes to the pedalboard. It's currently tuner > Blunderbuss > Volume > Carbon Copy > Dispatch Master.

The gain channel on the Budda alone is incredible and with the Blunderbuss going as well it excels in bringing my house down. SOOOOOO loud for 30 watts.
Absolutely SLAYS the TH30 I traded for it.

cdr_salamander 10-25-2012 03:36 PM

I am not into doom or stoner music at all but I just wanted to compliment your SD 30. I have the head version myself and you are correct, it is probably the loudest 30 watts I have ever heard, but it sounds amazing on both channels.

Good luck with the thread! :cheers:

VishNuRoXoUt 10-25-2012 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdr_salamander
I am not into doom or stoner music at all but I just wanted to compliment your SD 30. I have the head version myself and you are correct, it is probably the loudest 30 watts I have ever heard, but it sounds amazing on both channels.

Good luck with the thread! :cheers:

Such a good amp. I play a lot of R&B and Indie stuff and it does really well on the clean channel. The gain channel can nail coheed and cambria and the likes and I can even get solid heavier metal type tones. I'm really surprised more people don't use them.

cdr_salamander 10-25-2012 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VishNuRoXoUt
Such a good amp. I play a lot of R&B and Indie stuff and it does really well on the clean channel. The gain channel can nail coheed and cambria and the likes and I can even get solid heavier metal type tones. I'm really surprised more people don't use them.

They don't have any nostalgiac value and places like MF and GC don't carry them, so I can imagine they are a lot harder to come by in many places. I bought mine because I read that it had the clean channel of the AC-30 and the drive channel comparable to the JCM800, which was all I needed. Unfortunately, people usually go for the big names. If Peavey refused to pick them up, they probably wouldn't have survived or would have went 100% boutique and sell for twice the price.

I think Bonamassa endorsed the SD amps back in the mid 2000s but then he stopped, not sure why.

VishNuRoXoUt 10-25-2012 03:55 PM

Yeah, I got mine because I was sick of my Orange TH30 and it was offered to me in a trade. After I got it I found out Pete Adams of Baroness has been playing a Budda SD80 head. Which makes me really want the upgrade. Fantastic amps!

311ZOSOVHJH 10-25-2012 04:33 PM

Goolz made Doom Thread I think.

Just sayin'

Nice Budda tho Brudda

VishNuRoXoUt 10-25-2012 04:35 PM

I couldn't find one! Link?

nickdohle 10-25-2012 06:14 PM

What are some good Doom and Stoner metal bands? I need some new music to try and get into

BCKRedBaron 10-25-2012 06:23 PM

VishNu, how does the Blunderbuss compare/contrast with the standard Musket fuzz? I have the Musket, but I was wondering what the difference was.

For sludge, nothing beats a fuzz thru a tube amp with the tongue hangin' out of it!

EDIT: to nickdohle, check out this thread in the Metal subforum: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1388287
Tons of good recommendations there. Orange Goblin and Ahab are two good bands off the top of my head.

W4RP1G 10-25-2012 06:36 PM

Am I doing it right?

VishNuRoXoUt 10-25-2012 06:40 PM

nickdohle!
Check out

Loss
Bongripper
Sleep
Om
Earth

Just a couple I listen to regularly. Earth is a little different but I think this is the genre they fit in? Maybe? haha.

And BKC. I've owned a V1 Musket and a Very Special Twosome before the Blunderbuss. But I haven't played them next to each other. My best description of the different is that the original has a more distortion like quality and the Blunderbuss has a fuzzier quality. Overall they still sound pretty similar but the clipping is obviously different and stuff. I want to get another original so I can play them side by side.
My Blunderbuss is #003. So I'mma try like hell not to get rid of this one. hahaha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
Am I doing it right?

And you're not doing it wrong.

greeny23 10-25-2012 06:44 PM

**** this place.

BCKRedBaron 10-25-2012 06:44 PM

Do you know if the clipping diodes are different between the two? It seems like both models have Germanium diodes, but I could be mistaken.

VishNuRoXoUt 10-25-2012 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCKRedBaron
Do you know if the clipping diodes are different between the two? It seems like both models have Germanium diodes, but I could be mistaken.

Well the Blunderbuss is a Hybrid (Si/Ge). And I think my buddy was looking at my gutshot and said something was interesting about the gain stages. Something about an LED or something or another as well. He just said it was interesting. I'm not sure what he was going on about. hahaha.

ihartfood 10-25-2012 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdohle
What are some good Doom and Stoner metal bands? I need some new music to try and get into

Sleep.

when I dick around with stoner metal I usually borrow stuff from my friends. Often ends up something like
my Tele > Crybaby > big muff or whatever fuzz is available > at least a 1x12, sometimes I use an old 1x15 keyboard amp and run it as a cab > Valveking (or whatevers available).

Ideally I'd have a wall of 4x15 cabs and a Matamp Green and an old SG.

VishNuRoXoUt 10-25-2012 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartfood
Sleep.

when I dick around with stoner metal I usually borrow stuff from my friends. Often ends up something like
my Tele > Crybaby > big muff or whatever fuzz is available > at least a 1x12, sometimes I use an old 1x15 keyboard amp and run it as a cab > Valveking (or whatevers available).

Ideally I'd have a wall of 4x15 cabs and a Matamp Green and an old SG.

Wouldn't we all want a wall of 4x15's. hahaha.

I really just want to get a V4 or a JMP 2203 and a nice Janice cab. Probably just 4x12.

My Budda 2x12 into that 1969 Traynor Super Twin 15 with EV-SROs does plenty for me now though. hahaha. I want to grab something like a Bassman 100 and run my Budda's Slave output into it. That would be gnarly.

Ippon 10-25-2012 08:57 PM

My amps, pedlulz, and cabs are currently in different places and/or disassembled but after various speaker testing, here's my favorite set-up:

Older MIJ Burny SG, Big Muff and/or Fuzz, Orange Rockerverb 100 MKII, Orange PPC 412 (V30s) or 212 Pine cab with EVM12Ls and an EV 215 cab with EVM15L, EVM15B, and mid-range driver.

Pics when cabs are fully-assembled. :)

VishNuRoXoUt 10-25-2012 09:19 PM

God damnit Ippon. haha.

Firstly, that Burny has to sound awesome. That 2x15 sounds gnarly as hell too. I think my favourite set up is a 2x12/2x15. I'm loving it more than my Orange 4x12 I recently got rid of.

Stoked to see that. :lurk:

Ippon 10-25-2012 09:42 PM

The 212 and 215 are a bit easier to move around but the 215 is PITA heavy.

The Burny was a huge win since it's one of the old school '61-type SGs that I snagged from HC for $300 shipped! Long tenon, incredibly light Mahogany, etc.

The 215 with EVMs sounds huge. The Emi Delta Pro 15s are very nice, too. I have it in an EV115 cab. :)

I just sold the Orange Thunderverb 200 ... nothing more massive with the 215s and 412.

NakedInTheRain 10-25-2012 09:43 PM

i wanna LSTR. i heard it's good for doomz.