UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   NAD+NPD!!! (Kinda long post with pics!) (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1569768)

EncoreBlade 10-25-2012 07:09 PM

NAD+NPD!!! (Kinda long post with pics!)

Today I'm here to present you guys with my new gear!!!

Mid-90s Peavey Classic 30

This is an awesome amp. I saw an ad for it on Craigslist and offered up my Fender Blues Jr and when he agreed I was part happy, part sad. I mean I loved my Blues Jr and I didn't want to give it away, but I just needed something else.

Pros : It was just what I was looking for : 2 channels and an FX Loop. I love the cleans almost as much as the Blues Jr and the overdrive channel is pretty awesome. I put my TS9 in the overdrive channel (0% Drive, 100% Level) and it sounded amazing. The tweed exterior and dark brown grille look pretty cool too. It came with the stock 7 tubes, 4 power and 3 preamp tubes and the original Blue Marvel speaker I believe. The reverb also sounds pretty nice, though I think my Blues Jr had a better reverb.

Cons : There are a couple things that irk me about this amp. The overdrive channel does sound a little bit fizzy if I put too much gain, but I usually compensate by turning down the gain since I don't really need to use too much gain. Another thing is the pop that occurs when you turn the amp off. It kinda makes me jump sometimes but I'm ok with it. Also, the tube rattle isn't as annoying as I thought, but the fact that it's there has me kinda worried about transportation and its fragility. Another thing to add to that worry is how unguarded the tubes and back of the amp seem to be. And finally the fact that it didn't come with a footswitch kinda bothered me, but not too much. The fact is, I would have to invest at least $80 (tube tamer+tube guard+footswitch) in order for me to have a peace of mind, but the sound of this thing is killer enough for me to overlook them.

NOTE : The following two pedals I ordered off of ********.com 2 weeks prior to me finding/getting the Peavey amp.

Mooer Cruncher Distortion Pedal

This pedal is definitely the sound I was looking for! Nice and full sounding distortion, while retaining clarity and punch. Also, it's super small meaning it fits perfectly on my pedal without taking too much space. I tell you, when I first saw the size, it really surprised me and surprised me even more when I heard what this little thing sounded like. I believe it's supposed to be a clone of the MI Audio Crunchbox, but not really sure. It's very simple to use, though controlling the little tiny tone and volume knobs are kinda tedious and hard to hone in, but once you get it to where you want it, it sounds great.

Joyo JF-37 Analog Chorus

This one's a new effect for me. It's my first chorus pedal so I can't really compare it to anything. The most I can compare it to is my modulation settings on the delay and I'd say its pretty cool. I got the pedal as just a "hey there's a half-off coupon, might as well get it" kind of thing. After spending some time playing with it, it's pretty easy to get a good sound out of it, and I think I've already found a sound I'm gonna stick to for a while. Overall, I think it sounds great, is easy to use, and seems durable enough to me.

And here's a picture of all three of them

Also I have a question regarding the FX loop. My Nova Repeater has a LO AND HI INPUT. Reading the manual, it says if you're going from guitar-pedal-amp use LO and if going from FX SEND-PEDAL-FX RETURN use HI. Is it right then to go FX SEND - JOYO CHORUS - NOVA REPEATER HI - DL8 - FX RETURN? Still kinda new to the whole effects loop thing so if you guys can clarify that would be a big help.

ihartfood 10-25-2012 07:19 PM

I love those amps :cheers: HNS(tuff)D!

Dave_Mc 10-25-2012 07:40 PM

very nice :)

might pick up a few mooers myself :o I've tried the joyo version of the cruncher and it's a nice pedal.

Cathbard 10-25-2012 08:49 PM

Here's the way it works. V1a is common. V1b and V2a are switched in for the extra gain for the dirty channel. That's a bit of a pita because your problems could be either V1 or V2 (or both).
Buy a JJ ECC83S and try it in both positions to see what happens. You may find that only one is the problem. It does certainly sound like a crappy tube issue.

Btw, V2b is the tone stack.

HNAD
:cheers:

nickdohle 10-26-2012 12:33 AM

HNAD and HNPD!

I love the classic amps. Is the Joyo a plastic housing or a metal housing? Ive really considered looking to some of there effects.

EncoreBlade 10-26-2012 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Here's the way it works. V1a is common. V1b and V2a are switched in for the extra gain for the dirty channel. That's a bit of a pita because your problems could be either V1 or V2 (or both).
Buy a JJ ECC83S and try it in both positions to see what happens. You may find that only one is the problem. It does certainly sound like a crappy tube issue.

Btw, V2b is the tone stack.

HNAD
:cheers:

In relation to the fizziness of the lead channel or the pop thing? And I've never changed tubes on my amp before, but I'd like to try my hand at it. I've watched a couple videos on the procedures and all that so I have a basic understanding. Are the JJ ECC83S the preamp tubes? And if so, can you elaborate what the V1, V2 stuff means and its relation to this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdohle
HNAD and HNPD!

I love the classic amps. Is the Joyo a plastic housing or a metal housing? Ive really considered looking to some of there effects.

As far as I could tell and comparing with my Joyo American Sound, the pedal is housed in a metal casing. Seems pretty durable and I've had the Joyo American Sound drop at least twice on concrete floor with no damage there so it should be road-worthy.

NakedInTheRain 10-26-2012 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdohle
HNAD and HNPD!

metal.

hna/pd!