UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Electric Guitar (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Les Paul Setup Problem (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1570172)

kitarmen 10-28-2012 09:08 AM

Les Paul Setup Problem

Hi there. I have a Vintage Les Paul. I have a setup problem. I replaced all strings and the thickest string while playing touches the frets (buzz). I dont know exactly whats the problem, the neck or the Bridge. Is there a way to find out what is the problem? Sorry for my English.

miio 10-28-2012 09:45 AM

Did you change the string gauge to thicker? It could be that the action is too low for thicker strings so raise the action a bit. Or it could also be that the nut slot for the low E is too small, either get it reslotted or buy a thinner set of strings.

Robbgnarly 10-28-2012 10:05 AM

How close are the other strings to the frets? Did this just happen? have you messed with the bridge height on purpose or accidentaly truned it?

I would say loosen the strings and raise the bridge a little on the side that has the problem. You do not ned to go crazy when making the adjustments.

kitarmen 10-28-2012 10:16 AM

i changed the strings from thick to thiner. the tuning is half step down. i did mess around with the bridge. the action is actualy prety high. much higher than on my strat. but the buzz is still there.

gregs1020 10-28-2012 10:28 AM

going to a thinner gage string you probably let out some of the bow in the neck making it flatter or a back bow. plus going a half step down also relieved tension on the neck furthering the same issue.

not knowing what you did when you "messed" around with the bridge that may have caused another issue entirely.

you will likely need the truss rod tightened to straighten the neck issue out. if you don't know what you are doing, take it to a guitar tech is my recommendation.

jj1565 10-28-2012 01:25 PM

when you take all the strings off at once.

and

when you put on a lighter string gauge,
you allow the neck to relax, like said.

you need to measure the necks relief.

1. fret the low E at the first fret.
2. at the same time, fret the low E at the last fret,
where the neck and body meet.

3. with both places held look at the middle of the fretboard.

does the string lay on the fret wire there?

if it does, then it is safe to turn the truss rod
1/4 turn Counter clockwise.

don't force the turn.
don't turn more than indicated.
and post back with questions if you are unsure.

after you turn, let the guitar settle in tune.

kitarmen 10-29-2012 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
when you take all the strings off at once.

and

when you put on a lighter string gauge,
you allow the neck to relax, like said.

you need to measure the necks relief.

1. fret the low E at the first fret.
2. at the same time, fret the low E at the last fret,
where the neck and body meet.

3. with both places held look at the middle of the fretboard.

does the string lay on the fret wire there?

if it does, then it is safe to turn the truss rod
1/4 turn Counter clockwise.

don't force the turn.
don't turn more than indicated.
and post back with questions if you are unsure.

after you turn, let the guitar settle in tune.

I tested it. the middle of the fretboard is ok. the problem is on the higher frets. the 12-th and above. should i still turn the trus rod? i most say that i replaced 10mm strings for 9mm.

offcell 10-29-2012 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitarmen
I tested it. the middle of the fretboard is ok. the problem is on the higher frets. the 12-th and above. should i still turn the trus rod? i most say that i replaced 10mm strings for 9mm.

No, don't turn it. When holding down both ends of the E string and looking at the 7th fret, how far from the fret is the string?

kitarmen 10-29-2012 07:12 AM

I would say a milimeter or less.. maybe half milimeter.

jj1565 10-29-2012 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitarmen
I would say a milimeter or less.. maybe half milimeter.

if you can only fit a thing pick or less in the middle gap,
when holding the Low E in both places then yes,

it is safe to turn the truss rod like said, and
hopefully that will help playability,
so you can eventually lower the bridge again.