UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Electric Guitar (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Just Need Some Advice (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1570218)

brenthinds 10-28-2012 12:41 PM

Just Need Some Advice
 
I have been playing guitar for only 2 months on a squier strat and 15w amp. I bought this because I didn't know if I would really enjoy guitar but I love it. I want to get a better guitar and amp. I want to play a lot of mastodon, system of a down, iron maiden and avenged sevenfold. For a guitar I was looking at the ESP LTD V-50 or the Jackson JS32 King V. I will also be getting a better amp and was looking at the Roland Cube 40xl. Any input on this choice and any better guitars under 500 or good bedroom amps will be appreciated.

Wisthekiller 10-28-2012 12:45 PM

If you're okay with going used, a ton of much better guitars will be available.

dannyalcatraz 10-28-2012 12:53 PM

2 months in is a bit soon to upgrade, IMHO, but:

1) the first thing you want to upgrade is your amp. It's the single biggest factor in defining your sound. You will want a tube amp that is suited for your favored genres. You don't need a huge amp, just a good one. This is especially true if you have to worry about your neighbors. For most people, 40w is more than they need.

2) given what you say you want to play, you want something with 2 humbuckers or a mix of HBs and singlecoils. $500 for a budget should get you something nice, especially if you go used. How the guitar feels in your hand than how it looks or sounds (that can be changed with a pickup swap). Avoid a tremolo, and go used.

W4RP1G 10-28-2012 12:56 PM

You're playing on a Squier amp? Definitely upgrade it as soon as you can. Upgrade your guitar later on when you have a better idea of what you want.

My advice, get a used Vypyr 30. They are super cheap and have lots of options for you to mess around with.

brenthinds 10-28-2012 01:08 PM

Yeah I know 2 months is early and it will still be a while before I upgrade. So if I get a Vypyr 30 i will be able to get an OK sound from my squier.

W4RP1G 10-28-2012 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenthinds
Yeah I know 2 months is early and it will still be a while before I upgrade. So if I get a Vypyr 30 i will be able to get an OK sound from my squier.

Well, probably not the exact sound you want, you'll want a humbucker for that. But you will get much closer with a new amp than you will a new guitar, which should tide you over for a while, thus giving you more time to figure out exactly which guitar you need. You're still at such an early stage that I don't think you could really choose the right guitar at this point.

brenthinds 10-28-2012 01:20 PM

Yeah I know without humbuckers I wont be able to get a tone like a good rig would but thanks for the advice. Is changing out pickups difficult to do?

W4RP1G 10-28-2012 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenthinds
Yeah I know without humbuckers I wont be able to get a tone like a good rig would but thanks for the advice. Is changing out pickups difficult to do?

No, changing pickups is pretty easy. You might want to put a hot rail in the bridge and be done with it, but only if you can't stand you current pickups.

I say just get the amp and go from there. Used Vypyr 30s are around $100 here(I got one for $80 from GC because it didn't have a handle). Worth every penny, imo.

jpcl 10-28-2012 01:36 PM

I suggest the budget to be swapped, as in using the 500$ for the amp instead of the guitar. I still use my Squier strat if I have a good amp around.

Keep one thing in mind though. If your going to go for a valve amp, and you live next to other houses, or in a apartment, your better off buying something with low watts. Lately I've had my 22 watt all valve amp in my room and even with a toggle switch to half the power, I still have to keep the master volume around 1. Don't be fooled by tube's amps low watts, because 20-30 watts of tube power will get you about the same volume power as a 70-90 watt normal solid-state amp.

I also suggest you save your money for a new guitar later on. If you do by any chance go to any place to test some amps, try some guitars so you can get a feel of how each is different, and what feels best to your ear and hands.

You may also want to think about getting a pedal or two to use with a new amp.

Elderer 10-28-2012 01:46 PM

Um.
Save some more money and just play with current gear for a while.
If possible save up to 1k$.

Then invest in good tube amp-good Fender one.Blues Junior.

Pink Muse 10-28-2012 01:59 PM

A used Vypyr 30 can be had at $100 if you look around. This leaves you with ~$400 for a guitar; that's most used mid-range guitars, or something like an Epiphone Korina V, and then upgrading pickups or something. When you get better at playing and get a better ear for tone, you can get something like an Orange Dual or Dark Terror, and the guitar will still be decent through it. When you're playing with other people, then you can really upgrade to something killer.

jpcl 10-28-2012 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Muse
A used Vypyr 30 can be had at $100 if you look around. This leaves you with ~$400 for a guitar; that's most used mid-range guitars, or something like an Epiphone Korina V, and then upgrading pickups or something. When you get better at playing and get a better ear for tone, you can get something like an Orange Dual or Dark Terror, and the guitar will still be decent through it. When you're playing with other people, then you can really upgrade to something killer.


Spending so much on a guitar so soon seems a bit like of a waste... With 2 months of practise, I think no one can be really sure what kind of a guitar they like, and soundwise it won't be that much of an improvement with a cheap amp.

Pink Muse 10-28-2012 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcl
Spending so much on a guitar so soon seems a bit like of a waste... With 2 months of practise, I think no one can be really sure what kind of a guitar they like, and soundwise it won't be that much of an improvement with a cheap amp.

Thus the Vypyr 30. The Vypyr will give him a wide range of tones to try and see what he likes, and then he can get a better amp when he knows what he's really going for. He seems to aesthetically like V's, so something like the Epi will stay in budget, and it's better than a starter piece of strung firewood, so even when he gets better he can keep it as a backup or something. Since it's not falling out of tune every ten minutes he won't get fed up with it and keep interest in playing for a while.

jpcl 10-28-2012 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Muse
Thus the Vypyr 30. The Vypyr will give him a wide range of tones to try and see what he likes, and then he can get a better amp when he knows what he's really going for. He seems to aesthetically like V's, so something like the Epi will stay in budget, and it's better than a starter piece of strung firewood, so even when he gets better he can keep it as a backup or something. Since it's not falling out of tune every ten minutes he won't get fed up with it and keep interest in playing for a while.


Thing is you don't hold an amplifier in your hand. With a good amplifier made for something around his area of interest in music, he can change a bit in tastes without having to change amps. With a good amp, all he'll have to do is fiddle around with different settings and so on.

Guitars however are different. He probably hasn't picked up many guitars before, and getting a V because aesthetically he likes it is a very bold move. It's already important for anyone to try out the actual guitar they are buying, so for a 2-month old guitarist getting a new guitar based on internet advice might not be the best move.

W4RP1G 10-28-2012 03:09 PM

He could get a get a Vypyr 30 and a really sweet Korean made Schecter or LTD for his budget, which isn't necessarily a bad thing for any beginner who wants to play metal. However, I'd stay away from cheaply made V guitars.

And he should also be aware that he might grow out of any guitar he buys now as his skill level improves, which is why I suggest he stick with the Squier if he can bare it. I'd probably try to get a used Duncan Hot Rail for around $50 on eBay, or just buy a GFS rail pickup.

jpcl 10-28-2012 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
He could get a get a Vypyr 30 and a really sweet Korean made Schecter or LTD for his budget, which isn't necessarily a bad thing for any beginner who wants to play metal. However, I'd stay away from cheaply made V guitars.

And he should also be aware that he might grow out of any guitar he buys now as his skill level improves, which is why I suggest he stick with the Squier if he can bare it. I'd probably try to get a used Duncan Hot Rail for around $50 on eBay, or just buy a GFS rail pickup.


Yeah, that would be my best bet. I remember how I was so fed up with my Squier strat, and needed something with humbuckers and a different neck. Today it certainly isn't my favourite/main guitar, but I sure have grown to like it a lot as time has gone by.
I'm also GAS'ing badly for a Telecaster, which is something I thought to be impossible 2 years ago or so.

brenthinds 10-28-2012 04:28 PM

I actually like dean mls the best looks wise. I was probably going to get a new guitar in maybe 6 months. Would upgrading my current pickups to seymour duncans help a lot? I like seymour duncans a lot because the guys from iron maiden use them.

brenthinds 10-28-2012 04:31 PM

Should i upgrade the pickups first or buy a new amp?

jpcl 10-28-2012 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenthinds
I actually like dean mls the best looks wise. I was probably going to get a new guitar in maybe 6 months. Would upgrading my current pickups to seymour duncans help a lot? I like seymour duncans a lot because the guys from iron maiden use them.


Sound-wise, with your current amp, a new set of pick-ups will sound almost the same. A good amp will give you a good sound as you should know, but also make the improvements that you make to your guitar (or getting new pedals) much more noticeable. Seymour Duncan is a fantastic brand, although there are loads of different models so it depends on which ones you change to. But overall, yeah they will, but you'll have to wait for an answer by someone else on which would be best if your after a Iron Maiden type of sound, since I can't help you that much in that area of music.

EDIT: Get a new amp for sure. Pick-ups are only going to worth it after you got a good amp, but only do it if your really not digging how your guitar sounds, because otherwise it might be better to save the pick-up money and then get a guitar.

Dave_Mc 10-28-2012 04:40 PM

i wouldn't bother with pickups too much until you have a decent (tube) amp. the roland is a decent high gain modeller, so that sounds like a sound choice on the amp front (maybe check out the peavey vypyr too, i haven't tried it, though).

then get a nicer guitar with at least a bridge humbucker, as everyone has been saying. $500 should buy you a pretty nice guitar, even new.

e.g. http://www.music123.com/guitars/god...electric-guitar (haven't tried that model, but the (very few) godins i've tried were very nice, they're made in canada)

or you have the EMG-loaded model for a little more money ($650). if you'd rather have duncans, just get the cheaper one and then upgrade the pickups yourself.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:29 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.