UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Electric Guitar (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Seymour Duncan's Vintage Blues pick-up set (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1570230)

jpcl 10-28-2012 01:54 PM

Seymour Duncan's Vintage Blues pick-up set

Hey, I'm thinking of getting next year a Vintage LV100 (left handed model of the V100). I already have a SG from the same brand and I think it's probably my best buy considering what I paid for it. I've played a left handed V100 already in a shop, and I've played two different V100 icon models (the AFD and Lemon Drop), and I can't get enough of it's sound and feel even while stock.

Anyways, I do have some plans for this guitar. I think it's quite a good platform to use to mod and I'm basically going to turn into a Led Zeppelin jamming machine. I'll be modding pick-ups, pots, nut, addin coil-split, etc.

Now onto the real question. Considering I'm only really interested in making it a Jimmy Page LP sounding guitar, I'd like some feedback about these pick-ups to get the job done:

http://www.musicstore.de/en_EN/EUR/...5&campaign=EPOQ

I'm wondering if anyone has every had this dual pick-up set (or just one of them), are they worth buying for the goal I have in mind, and is there any other alternatives that you'd think would do the job better.

I don't exactly have a maximum budget for the pick-ups, so unless they're made of diamonds and cost 500 each, prices won't be a problem. Mind you, the less I can spend the better, as obvious, so if the difference is almost insignificant compared to this pair of pick-ups, I might keep the extra cash since I find this set to be quite cheap for a pair of SD's.

Ippon 10-28-2012 02:10 PM

I have a set of those and they do work well for dinosaur rock, specially with cabs with V30s or Greenbacks. Solid and pretty inexpensive.

jpcl 10-29-2012 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ippon
I have a set of those and they do work well for dinosaur rock, specially with cabs with V30s or Greenbacks. Solid and pretty inexpensive.

Good to know.

May I also take the chance since we're on the Jimmy Page subject to ask anyone if they have a Treble booster pedal. I've never owned or had much experience with these, so are they all generally similar to each other, or are there any treble booster pedals that are worth meantioning for this kind of sound?

Robbgnarly 10-29-2012 10:25 AM

Have you thought about a Pearly Gates for the bridge? I like that pickup alot in a LP for the Zepplin and AC/DC tones

jpcl 10-29-2012 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
Have you thought about a Pearly Gates for the bridge? I like that pickup alot in a LP for the Zepplin and AC/DC tones

Yeah I have, I've thought about many, although I've heard only good from the set that I linked so far and I'm wondering if anyone would know if other pick-ups would really be that different/better for a Led Zep sound. My niggle is weither there any any other pick-ups that are worth the price difference. I do want to get the closest I can get to a good Led Zep tone, but if I have to buy two pick-ups worth 100 or so each just for a minor sound difference, I'm not sure if it's worth it.

Robbgnarly 10-29-2012 10:37 AM

do you play on the bridge or neck pu more?
If you play the bridge, I'd get the pearly gates and then get something like the GFS vintage '59

jpcl 10-29-2012 11:47 AM

Yeah, I'll mostly be using the bridge pick-up. I think the most I'll be using the neck pick-up is for changing between clean and distorted sounds. He keeps his volume on his neck pick-up down to about 1-2 and switchs between pick-ups instead of turning distortion on and off when he played live.

I might give the upper edge on that combo you said since it'll probably be the most reliable to get a good Pagey sound.

Although there's just one more case I'd like to point out.
Has anyone had any experience with these pick-ups and how do they stack up?
http://www.shedpickups.com/viewpickup.asp?puid=76
I've heard on a few forums that they are probably as close as you can get to his tone in the period where he shined the most (early 70's).

There's also a video of a guy testing them out with some Led Zep, and I think they put up a great show, even though he isn't playing the song all that accurate, and a bit off beat.

They are more expensive, though I'd like if I could get some actual feedback if anyone has ever used or had any type of contact with these or other pick-ups from the same brand and how they stack up at their job.

EDIT: Been looking around at what people have to say about these pick-ups, and they seem to fit my purpose perfectly. They also come from a UK, which is what I needed, so I don't have to pay extra for shipping them. The only drawback I see that people talk about is about the waiting time for them being around 1-3 months, but I'm not in a hurry, and I can live with ordering them before I order the rest of what I'm wanting to buy.