UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Need a new delay pedal, round 2 (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1571283)

Random3 11-03-2012 07:20 PM

Need a new delay pedal, round 2

After making a thread a couple of days ago and doing some of my own research I have narrowed down my choice of delay pedals.

My requirements are that it has tap tempo, and some form of presets that can be changed while playing (without me changing the settings manually, so will need to be foot switchable).

Some of what I found include:

TC Electronic Flashback X4
TC Electronic Nova Delay
Boss DD20

I was also suggested a few others but those were the three that look most appropriate.

My budget is preferably no more than 200, I am willing to go used.

If anyone has any other ideas please let me know, the one thing stopping me from going out and buying a Nova Delay is that the presets can't be specifically chosen, they need to be scrolled through. Does anyone have experience with this? Is it really an issue?

Thanks

loki_lulamen 11-03-2012 07:38 PM

I have the DD20 and couldn't be happier with it. Though I would suggest getting a momentary footswitch to go with it for tap tempo. Or you have to hold down one of the pedals for 2 secs before it becomes tap.

As for the settings thing. On most foot controlled units you will have to scroll.

DasFishy 11-03-2012 08:41 PM

I have a Line6 DL4 and I think it's amazing. It has tap tempo, but only two presets. It also has an amazing looper. You can't use the presets at the same time as the looper, but that's offset by some other really cool functions.

Random3 11-03-2012 10:51 PM

Thanks guys, how does the Eventide Time Factor compare to those I listed?

Eppicurt 11-03-2012 10:55 PM

Timefactor is crazy good, if youre looking into that pricepoint take a look at the Strymon Timeline.

Any particular delay sounds you want to achieve?

Random3 11-03-2012 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eppicurt
Timefactor is crazy good, if youre looking into that pricepoint take a look at the Strymon Timeline.

Any particular delay sounds you want to achieve?

I only ask because I checked eBay and found one that may be going cheap.

Basically I really like the lead delay sound used by guys like Vai, Satch and Gilmour, but also the slapback kinda thing that Gilbert does in a few songs.

I also want to be able to make some interesting weird sounds.

Eppicurt 11-03-2012 11:00 PM

Timefactor would be good if you want versatility. Loads of banks, different delay sounds and great switching capabilities (midi etc).

T7E 11-04-2012 04:09 AM

Timefactor or Timeline. Both are brilliant

NakedInTheRain 11-04-2012 04:32 AM

only get the dd20 if you're happy with pristine digital delay. only thing it's good for. its tape/analog/whatever other sims it has are all horrible.

kmister 11-04-2012 07:55 AM

I have an iB modified Nova Delay, and to be quite honest i'm not that impressed with it, if i could turn back time I would pick up 2 Flash backs or new Flashback 4. Presets are a nice add but I don't find myself using this pedal as I had intended and hoped

MM14 11-04-2012 08:13 AM

Look on musicradar FX classifieds you can usually find some good stuff in there

Random3 11-05-2012 12:08 PM

I think I'm going to get a Flashback X4, looks great and has the preset and tap tempo capabilities I am looking for. Thanks guys!

Buffb 11-05-2012 04:14 PM

I currently use a hardwire dl8 and it's a nice piece of kit with loads of variables, would look at the mxr carbon copy as well but in all fairness the tc electronic stuff your already looking is supposed to be very good