UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Musician Talk (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Chord Progression Help (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1571518)

AndreasBrown 11-05-2012 09:25 AM

Chord Progression Help

I was trying to come up with a chord progression in the key of Dm, but am actually wondering how to start it in Dm. This probably sounds stupid, so I'll go into a little more detail about my problem.

The Dm scale is (as far as I'm aware): D, E, F, G, A, A#, D.
Using the chord progression chart (major, minor, minor, major, major, minor, minorb5), you end up with: D, Em, Fm, G, A, A#m, Dmb5.

So my actual question is how would I start with Dm, if it is not in the chord progression? Would I have to go into modes?

Thank you in advance for any help,
~Andreas.

mrkeka 11-05-2012 09:34 AM

First of all, the Dm natural minor scale is D, E, F, G, A, Bb and C
Second, the "chord progression chart" you used is actually from the major scale, and not a chord progression chart, but only the order of chords built from each scale step.
Modes have nothing to do with it. Forget about modes.

AndreasBrown 11-05-2012 09:38 AM

Thank you, that clears a lot of the problem up :)
But would you be able to explain how I would be able to come up with a chord progression using Dm to start with?

mdc 11-05-2012 09:56 AM

What's a minor 6th interval from D, TS?

J-Dawg158 11-05-2012 10:40 AM

For D minor
i = Dm
V = A
vii = Cdim
ii = Edim
iv = Gm
VI = Bb
III = F
VII = C
* = Any of the other chords

This is by no means hard fast rules for chord progressions, just simply a flowchart depicting fairly common changes in minor keys.

will42 11-05-2012 05:55 PM

In natural minor Dm is as such (7th included for courtesy):
Dmin(min7), Ehalfdim7, Fmaj(maj7), Gmin(min7), Amin(Min 7), Bbmaj(min7), Cmaj(min7).
In harmonic minor it's just a little different:
Dmin(Maj7), Ehalfdim7, Fmaj(Maj7), Gmin(min7), Adom7, Bbmaj(min7), C#fully dimished7.

HotspurJr 11-05-2012 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasBrown
Thank you, that clears a lot of the problem up :)
But would you be able to explain how I would be able to come up with a chord progression using Dm to start with?

Start with the seven diatonic chords of Dm:

Dm Edim F Gm Am Bbmaj Cmaj.

A major also shows up commonly.

Don't follow any "rules" to come up with a chord progression. Play those chords and get the sound of them in your head. Then play what you want to hear.

Really try to do it brain-first: "I want to hear something that sounds like this sound in my head, let me find it," rather than "Let me jam around until I hear something that sounds good." Trust me. You'll just make better music that way.

There are other chords you can use, but those are the most common, by far.