UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Pit (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Is this breaching copyright? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1571536)

K'Nuckles 11-05-2012 12:02 PM

Is this breaching copyright?

So I'm writing a concept album at the moment based on this:

I'm using character names and just basing the whole thing off of the story. Since the book's copyrighted and shit, will I need to write to them to get permission or is it all good? Edge of Sanity's Crimson and Crimson II are both based off of a book as well, so I dunno. The author's dead as well, so I can't really talk to him about it. :haha:

rabidguitarist 11-05-2012 12:04 PM

Depends how long he's been dead for.

K'Nuckles 11-05-2012 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidguitarist

2-3, maybe 4 years? I guess I could message his family, since a lot of people seem to be doing that on this fan run site.

blake1221 11-05-2012 12:42 PM

Similarly, I was planning on writing an album based solely around TS Eliot's The Waste Land. A song for each part, and still debating on whether I should use strictly lyrics from the poem or just make it about the poem itself.

Hmm.

crazysam23_Atax 11-05-2012 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake1221
Similarly, I was planning on writing an album based solely around TS Eliot's The Waste Land. A song for each part, and still debating on whether I should use strictly lyrics from the poem or just make it about the poem itself.

Hmm.

Wouldn't making it about the poem itself be more creative? :shrug:

Anyway, TS, I'd write to the author's family. Better safe than sorry.

blake1221 11-05-2012 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
Wouldn't making it about the poem itself be more creative? :shrug:

Creativity's not my concern. Making the music match it would be more suiting. It's not like I'm going to be able to expand upon the greatest modernist work, so I'd probably rather it be an homage.

crazysam23_Atax 11-05-2012 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake1221
Creativity's not my concern. Making the music match it would be more suiting. It's not like I'm going to be able to expand upon the greatest modernist work, so I'd probably rather it be an homage.

Then use the words of the poem as lyrics. Eliot's been dead for 50 years. It is an excellent poem, btw.

Portuguese_boy 11-05-2012 12:54 PM

Will your album be popular enough for anyone to give a shit about copyright issues?

Krieger91 11-05-2012 12:56 PM

Well, Sylvan wrote a song based on Beren and Luthien and Silmarillion and nothing happened to them and I don't think they payed anything..considering it was their first album and all..

J-Dawg158 11-05-2012 12:56 PM

Not 100%, but I think that the publisher retains the rights to the use of material such as this, so I would think that you would have to contact the publisher of the book. I'm not a copyright expert though so :shrug:

Acϵ♠ 11-05-2012 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidguitarist

Not long enough. Although under fair use and fair dealings law, you might be able to bypass obtaining copyright permissions. Best example i can think of is Pink Floyd and George Orwell's Animals, i don't *believe* they had to obtain copyright permissions and stuff but that was also a much different legal era.

I believe if you just blatantly copy and paste the text from that book into an album, you may run into some legal issues, but if you make enough small changes to the wording and diction then you should be fine.

K'Nuckles 11-05-2012 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portuguese_boy
Will your album be popular enough for anyone to give a shit about copyright issues?

Extremely doubtful. :haha:

Life Is Brutal 11-05-2012 01:15 PM

Writing one about the Sandman Graphic Novels, and I'm wondering the same thing. :haha: