UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Electric Guitar (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Buying a Guitar Sight Unseen (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1571880)

demonhellcat 11-07-2012 06:41 PM

Buying a Guitar Sight Unseen

So, I want a new guitar... and I think I know what I want. The only problem is I can't find one in any guitar store nearby, neither Guitar Center (there are two near me) or any local place has it. So what is it you ask? I so want the Ibanez FRM100 TR but I'm just going on what I've read, seen, heard on the interwebz. Has anybody here purchased a guitar without ever playing it (or even a guitar like it)? If so can anybody recommend the best online retailer when it comes to returns (if it were to come to that)?

Other that that, does anyone know what more common guitar might have a comparable neck thickness/width? As that's the part that seems VERY different from my Les Paul I already own and am comfortable with.

JAHellraiser 11-07-2012 06:42 PM

Guitar Center give you 30 days to return something.

jeleopard 11-07-2012 06:44 PM

I JUST bought an Ibanez RGD7. I've only played 2 7s in my life before, and both were for short amounts of time. I have never played a baritone guitar either, but went ahead and bought it willingly.

I enjoy it, but I do believe GC does 2 week return policy.

stepchildusmc 11-07-2012 07:29 PM

i've purchased a few acoustics online without any trouble. all were in excellent condition without flaws and sounded like i thought they would. acoustics are much harder to buy online though. sound veries greatly form one to the next even with same exact models.
after i get xmas for my family out of the way( if santa doesnt get it for me first..hint..hint "the Blonde" if your reading this), i plan on getting an epiphone Ultra III les paul from ZZsounds. i've gotten quite a bit of stuff from them without any problems, customer service even calls about a month afterward and makes sure i'm still happy with my purchase. i have no hesitaions about electrics online.

dannyalcatraz 11-07-2012 08:25 PM

Most of my guitars have been bought without trying them first.

As long as you're working with a reputable seller, there shouldn't be a problem. Most of the big guys will give you a couple of weeks to a month to try something out. Smaller retailers and direct sales from the guitar maker vary from place to place.

My only qualm has been not with the sellers, but the delivery companies. In all but one purchase, I had the guitars delivered to a music store (the one I ordered the guitars through), or a mail box center, where I keep a box of just such purposes. That way, there is always a live person there to accept, sign for and secure the package during business hours, and I don't have to sit around waiting for it.

The one time I did not, I didn't have a choice in the matter- the guitar had to be delivered to my home/billing address because it was my initial order with that company.

The deliveryman put it on my doorstep, rang the bell, and left. Fortunately, I happened to be home waiting for a repairman.

demonhellcat 11-08-2012 09:13 AM

So, it's not a crazy idea after all. Musiciansfriend.com and guitarcenter.com both have it in stock. I'm guessing it's a good idea to call and order so I can ask questions and such, as opposed to blindly clicking "check-out".

JackalUK 11-08-2012 09:15 AM

Both of mine were bought blindly. They both rock though, so there we go. No problems.

dannyalcatraz 11-08-2012 12:05 PM

Also check Sweetwater.com if you're buying new.

J_W 11-08-2012 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
Also check Sweetwater.com if you're buying new.

I seriously cannot say enough good things about sweetwater's customer service. Sweetwater rocks!

dannyalcatraz 11-08-2012 02:02 PM

I haven't bought anything of note from them yet- its only a matter or time before I buy more than music strands or task lights for our church choir- but I was introduced to them by a professional musician whose opinion I trust.

JELIFISH19 11-08-2012 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_W
I seriously cannot say enough good things about sweetwater's customer service. Sweetwater rocks!

I bought some pickups from them and they were still calling me 3 years later about them haha. They seem to really care about the customers.

Buffb 11-08-2012 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonhellcat
Other that that, does anyone know what more common guitar might have a comparable neck thickness/width? As that's the part that seems VERY different from my Les Paul I already own and am comfortable with.

Having owned the fireman for around 3 months the neck to me is comparable to an LP if not a tad beefier. Have recently reviewed the guitar on UG so feel free to have a read it it is a very good guitar for the money. I played it first but then took a boxed version and not the one I played (daft i know) but it was fine straight from the box.
I'm in the uk and bought from guitar guitar, faultless as they always are.

Hope you get one and enjoy it.