UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Electric Guitar (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   looking for an ideal guitar to buy (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1571898)

manosnight 11-07-2012 09:32 PM

looking for an ideal guitar to buy
 
Greetings from Brazil!! I'm going to travel to Miami on Jan 2013 and I look forward to purchase a guitar from Guitar Center, and my budget at the moment goes from 3000 to 3500 dollars, but I have no idea on which guitar to get! I am very eclectic, and my taste goes from blues and classic rock to heavy metal and metalcore, excluding the possibility to buy an floyd rose based guitar (as I change tunings often) I am also open to possibilities like used guitars (which makes me wonder if I can be really sure if all the used guitars on guitar center sale are genuine)

Sorry for my bad english,

Rodrigo

EDIT: In addition, my influences are Mark Morton (lamb of god), JB (August Burns Red), John petrucci (Dream theater), B.B King, Steve Howe (Yes) and many others

I find LPs to be attractive too

JAHellraiser 11-07-2012 10:02 PM

As I asked in your other thread:

How long are you in Miami?

and

Are those American Dollars?

manosnight 11-07-2012 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAHellraiser
As I asked in your other thread:

How long are you in Miami?

and

Are those American Dollars?


I will be on Miami for 11 days

Yes those are american dollars

Darkflame 11-07-2012 10:29 PM

Honestly, don't see how you could go wrong with something like a Gibson Les Paul Custom, it'd do pretty much everything and feel amazing.
You could also get two guitars for that price if you want a lot of different tonal options, say an american deluxe Telecaster and some high end metal guitar such as an ESP Eclipse (LP shape) or some Jackson, Ibanez... You could also get a Gibson Les Paul studio or SG standard or something...

With that price range, you can get an awful lot of stuff.

Dellinger1988 11-07-2012 10:30 PM

Suhr

manosnight 11-07-2012 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame
Honestly, don't see how you could go wrong with something like a Gibson Les Paul Custom, it'd do pretty much everything and feel amazing.
You could also get two guitars for that price if you want a lot of different tonal options, say an american deluxe Telecaster and some high end metal guitar such as an ESP Eclipse (LP shape) or some Jackson, Ibanez... You could also get a Gibson Les Paul studio or SG standard or something...

With that price range, you can get an awful lot of stuff.



I've really got in love with LPs customs but i THINK they exceed my budget? So used would be the way?

thanks again

griffin888 11-07-2012 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellinger1988
Suhr


Have to agree. My Suhr is head and shoulders above anything else I've played.

Darkflame 11-07-2012 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manosnight
I've really got in love with LPs customs but i THINK they exceed my budget? So used would be the way?

thanks again

Herp Derp, just checked on Musiciansfriend and you're right, sorry, my bad... They're like 300 bucks over your budget =(

manosnight 11-07-2012 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame
Herp Derp, just checked on Musiciansfriend and you're right, sorry, my bad... They're like 300 bucks over your budget =(


i've been thinking if it's worth to buy an used one, but i'm just too afraid to buy it blindfolded when it could be a fake LP custom

manosnight 11-07-2012 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellinger1988
Suhr

Apologise me for my ignorance, i've never heard of suhr before so after i saw some playthroughs of it i'm still wondering if it has enough gain to play some heavier metal

JAHellraiser 11-07-2012 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manosnight
Apologise me for my ignorance, i've never heard of suhr before so after i saw some playthroughs of it i'm still wondering if it has enough gain to play some heavier metal

this enough evidence for you?



it just depends on what guitar and amp you're using.

Heideck 11-07-2012 11:24 PM

Music man john petrucci signature, Ibanez RG prestige 3521 (it has fixed bridge)

Darkflame 11-08-2012 12:03 AM

I can vouch for Suhr being amazing guitars, played a few of them and they felt extremely good. I strongly dislike heavy music however, so can't help for that.

mmolteratx 11-08-2012 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manosnight
Apologise me for my ignorance, i've never heard of suhr before so after i saw some playthroughs of it i'm still wondering if it has enough gain to play some heavier metal


What? Your amp is where the gain comes from. No offense, but if that's how you think, it might be wise to hold off on such an expensive guitar. No doubt an LPC or a Suhr is a great guitar (and I own both), but what amp are you using?

manosnight 11-08-2012 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmolteratx
What? Your amp is where the gain comes from. No offense, but if that's how you think, it might be wise to hold off on such an expensive guitar. No doubt an LPC or a Suhr is a great guitar (and I own both), but what amp are you using?



I am currently using a Vox AC15C1 15w for studying at my home and a peavey 6505 for rehearsals, im just no gear geek

dannyalcatraz 11-08-2012 12:16 PM

No knock on GC or any of the other sores out there, but there is a world of great guitars In that price range that simply won't be on their shelves, like Suhr.

Might I suggest as a possibility you look at Carvin and US Masters Guitars online?

http://www.carvinguitars.com/customshop/
http://www.usmasters.com/allmodels.htm

As for the used gears at GC...well, I cannot say they are all real, but I have bought and handled a few of their used guitars amid never encountered a counterfeit yet.

mmolteratx 11-08-2012 12:17 PM

Oh, well in the case, buy whatever. :haha: You've got solid amps and the 6505 will make pretty much anything sound brutal. The Les Paul Custom is a very chunky sounding guitar. Always fat and it can even make mediocre pickups sound huge. Personally, I'm not the biggest fan of the stock pickups because they're too dark and replaced them several times in my LPC to find a good balance.

And as much as I liked my Modern 7, the stock pickups were dreadful. Way too dark and mushy sounding for a metal guitar, especially a 7. The only humbuckers from Suhr that I really like are the Aldrich's, and those don't ever come in Pro Series guitars and not many order them in Custom Series guitars either.

The Suhrs are better players than Gibsons, stock at least. I wound up sanding off the neck finish on my LPC because it was too sticky and restrictive when playing faster. Now they're about on par after some work on the Gibson.

Normally I'd tell you to grab a Custom while on sale, as I got mine for $2400 brand new but you won't be in the States when any large sale is going on. Not worth $4k, IMO, especially when used ones go for mid $2000s all day long. The Suhrs hold their values a little bit better, but I still lost $800 in value when I traded my Modern 7 for a G0.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:54 PM.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.