UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Electric Guitar (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   LF recommendation on a new guitar. (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1571953)

Nimbus456 11-08-2012 06:51 AM

LF recommendation on a new guitar.

Hey'a guys and gal's!

I am in the market for an upgrade to my tempest extreme.
I'll keep it short and sweet.

Budget: <$1500.

Music I play, (or try to): Coheed & Cambria, Opeth, ZZ top, Pink Floyd, King Crimson, The Haunted, Metallicus... to name a few. I've gone off hardcore metal, and am enjoying just using the vintage distortion on my amp.

Prefferences: Something with as lovely a neck as my Schecter (or a parker fly) >_>
I do dispise Ibanez though, I just cannot play them comfortably. Prefferably no whammy.

PUPS: Passive, and versitile. H-S-H would be nice, but an HH with coil tapping would be great too.

New or used, though I wouldn't mind a custom guitar.

Location: Rural AUS, the only stores nearby stock Ibanez, one or two gibsons, and some fenders.

Gear is in my sig.

Any ideas are much appreciated.

PS: I've heard great things about Carvins, how are they sound and playability wise?

Thanks. (:

Shornifier 11-08-2012 08:20 AM

ESP all the way dude; the Horizon II with Duncans should make you a very happy man. String thru (no whammy) and their necks are the most comfortable I've ever played, thus making ESP my favorite guitar manufacturer.

The Japanese don't **** with their quality. :)

Sakke 11-08-2012 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shornifier
ESP all the way dude; the Horizon II with Duncans should make you a very happy man. String thru (no whammy) and their necks are the most comfortable I've ever played, thus making ESP my favorite guitar manufacturer.

The Japanese don't **** with their quality. :)

ESP has one of the most awkward necks that I've ever tried. It's okay, I give it that much, but there are lots better ones for my hand. So, that being a statement, you shouldn't sound like an ESP fanboy, only recommend it or rate it highly.

TS, Carvin makes good guitars but you should check if they're in your budget cause they have got a lot different prices around the world. For me, Carvin would be probably like 1900 euros with the options I want whereas in the States it's much cheaper. You should check if there are any Australian custom shops and see if you are able to get a custom from somewhere.

Also, you could check PRS out. They have a few hardtail models. Those guitars are tremendous. I tried a PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson model and I was amazed by the feel and the quality of such guitar. Tremendous bang for the buck, I tell you.

Could you extend your budget by selling your Tempest or do you want to keep it as a back-up guitar?

To add.. Are you sure you don't want a better amplifier... Say.. A tube amp? If you're looking to upgrade your sound, since you want a similar neck as your Schecter has, maybe an amp would be better for you.

JustRooster 11-08-2012 10:12 AM

You already have a good mid-range guitar and $1,500 to spend?

Dude, a rockin' half-stack or twin.

Nimbus456 11-08-2012 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakke
To add.. Are you sure you don't want a better amplifier... Say.. A tube amp? If you're looking to upgrade your sound, since you want a similar neck as your Schecter has, maybe an amp would be better for you.

Well, my amp already has a preamp valve in it, I know that doesn't really substitute entirely for a tube amp, but I do like it. I shall look into amps regardless.

Quote:
Also, you could check PRS out. They have a few hardtail models. Those guitars are tremendous. I tried a PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson model and I was amazed by the feel and the quality of such guitar. Tremendous bang for the buck, I tell you.

I always thought PRS were in the upwards of $3 grand. If not, O:\

Quote:
Could you extend your budget by selling your Tempest or do you want to keep it as a back-up guitar?

I don't think anyone would want to by a guitar with "LICK MY NUT" scratched into the back of it for more then $200. It really is a personal guitar, and has lasted me since 06.

Sakke 11-08-2012 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimbus456
Well, my amp already has a preamp valve in it, I know that doesn't really substitute entirely for a tube amp, but I do like it. I shall look into amps regardless.

I always thought PRS were in the upwards of $3 grand. If not, O:\

I don't think anyone would want to by a guitar with "LICK MY NUT" scratched into the back of it for more then $200. It really is a personal guitar, and has lasted me since 06.

Well, you really didn't state that your guitar is not to be sold.

PRS aren't. They make excellent budget guitars, called the SE line. Tremendous quality at a tremendous price, I tell you.
http://www.guitar.com.au/guitars/el...s_se_index.html

It does not substitute and I'm sure you'll like a tube amplifier more, honestly. I had a Marshall Valvestate which I thought that sounded great, but then I got a Marshall DSL combo and it sounded even better. Now I've got Laney VH100R which is, to be honest, pretty much perfect for my needs.

Nimbus456 11-08-2012 04:37 PM

If I got an SE, I could also afford an amp.

EDIT: What are the stock PRS hardwares like? PUPS, tuners, bridge etc.

jjfeu662 11-08-2012 06:38 PM

dannyalcatraz 11-08-2012 07:04 PM

Carvins are high quality guitars, but- import price aside- some feel their pickups are kind of middle-of-the-road. Not what you want for metal.

You might find something more your speed with US Masters, but again, cost would probably be an issue.

Godin has HSS, HSH and coil-tapped HH guitars that will be extremely well made.

The Malden Bad Karma is a nice HH guitar with, as I recall, individual coil taps.

Reverend has some nifty models that have a H/P-90 design, like the Double Agent and the a Reeves Gabrels Signature models. They may have some that are HH splittable.

Pink Muse 11-08-2012 08:58 PM

Play an Orange Rocker 30 with your Tempest. ~$1100 used in the US, not sure about down under. As a fan of almost all the artists you listed I recommend trying that out and reevaluating purchase priority. :)

Nimbus456 11-08-2012 09:41 PM

Lol, jjfeu662.
I don't like them simply because I find their necks uncomfortable, and I have a hard time playing them in general. They feel like mass-produced bits of balsa wood.

To dannyalcatraz, I'm not really into metal very much anymore. I preffer jamming with some lighter distortion and vintage tones. Though I do like the ability to metal out with my **** out occasionally.

I'll look into some of these other makers and that amp. Cheers.

dannyalcatraz 11-09-2012 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimbus456
To dannyalcatraz, I'm not really into metal very much anymore. I preffer jamming with some lighter distortion and vintage tones. Though I do like the ability to metal out with my **** out occasionally.

Strictly speaking, while there are metal players using Godins or Carvins, etc., none of the brands are considered to be true metal machines in the sense of the ultra-heavy droptuned stuff that has cropped up in the past decade or so*. Most are for everything else into that point, but not beyond- you'll find them in the hands of classic rockers, jazz men, blues players, etc.

So again, any would be just fine for your purposes.

* US Masters might be the sole exception, but I don't know any metal players using one for sure.