UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Pit (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Every worked a nightshift? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1571956)

ChucklesMginty 11-08-2012 07:13 AM

Every worked a nightshift?

Looking around for a job (I know right?) and was rather intrigued that an HMV near me is offering work from somewhere between 6pm and 6am. Although it doesn't have the exact hours.

I figured a job with hours like that would have less applicants and I'm a complete night owl, so perfect. A couple of things though...

1) Why would an HMV need people working nights? I'm assuming it's for stock room work, packaging CDs, arranging displays? Anyone have a clearer idea though? the job is listed as only going on until the end of December so is it a Christmas thing?

2) Does working nights completely screw things up and are there repercussions I've not thought of?

3) I have to apply in person, I've never had to do this. How can I make a good impression right away and what are some do's and do not do's?

slash_GNR666 11-08-2012 07:14 AM

I've not but one of my best friends did and we never got time to hang out again due to him sleeping during the morning/afternoon :(

I rarely see him now due to that job

But if the pay is good :)

red_hot_chili18 11-08-2012 07:16 AM

Night shifts WILL **** you up if you're not prepared to sleep during the day, I recommend getting some really decent blinds so that NO light can get into your bedroom, but yeah, best of luck with your job :cheers:

ChucklesMginty 11-08-2012 07:18 AM

this is my only chance at getting an Axe FX!

Hydra150 11-08-2012 07:20 AM

I'm sifting through job ads too, and am willing to do nightshifts. Not got anything else going on that requires a normal sleeping pattern anyhoo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChucklesMginty

3) I have to apply in person, I've never had to do this. How can I make a good impression right away and what are some do's and do not do's?

Also need any guidance in this regard.

macaroni 11-08-2012 07:22 AM

I think working til 6am will **** your body up, I work til midnight and it's not bad, but going to sleep everynight at 7am will be bad for you.

SlackerBabbath 11-08-2012 07:23 AM

Quote:

1) Why would an HMV need people working nights? I'm assuming it's for stock room work, packaging CDs, arranging displays? Anyone have a clearer idea though? the job is listed as only going on until the end of December so is it a Christmas thing?

They could be running 24 hour open hours during the run up to Christmas, many stores do.
Quote:
2) Does working nights completely screw things up and are there repercussions I've not thought of?

Sleeping all day and working all night obviously means you are not going to be getting as much sunlight as you normally would. This is by no means confirmed, but it is thought that vitamin D levels become too low when people do not get enough Ultraviolet-B on their skin, which may in turn cause depressive symptoms.
Quote:

Be polite and willing.

Steyr9001 11-08-2012 07:24 AM

I used to work nights at a convenience store.

It's not so bad be prepared to not be able to do anything during the day. That being said, a lot of people I know that have worked/work night shift absolutely hate it.

Ur all $h1t 11-08-2012 07:24 AM

Quote:
Looking around for a job (I know right?) and was rather intrigued that an HMV near me is offering work from somewhere between 6pm and 6am. Although it doesn't have the exact hours.

I figured a job with hours like that would have less applicants and I'm a complete night owl, so perfect. A couple of things though...

1) Stock Control, Cleaning, Fixing Shit, and Security.

2) It'll suck really badly for the first few weeks, after that you'll get used to it. Your social life will suffer. You will have to be really disciplined to ensure you get enough sleep and at the same times every day.

Hydra150 11-08-2012 07:25 AM

I used to take Vitamin D pills, not too expensive and one of the rare vitamins that isn't a scam.

BelowTheSun 11-08-2012 07:26 AM

I've never gone straight through to the morning, but I used to do pretty physical work 5pm to 1am four nights a week, was pretty tough at first. But after a week or two you get used to it really, it's just getting to that point.

K'Nuckles 11-08-2012 07:26 AM

Well if it's for an Axe Fx, then TOTALLY do it. I'd give my left bollock for one.

Hydra150 11-08-2012 07:26 AM

Also;

jambi_mantra 11-08-2012 07:28 AM

I used to work at a bar and would finish and get home around 3/4am. It was hell.

Hydra150 11-08-2012 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambi_mantra
I used to work at a bar and would finish and get home around 3/4am. It was hell.

What time would you wake in the morning/afternoon?

red_hot_chili18 11-08-2012 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambi_mantra

I used to work 10pm - 6am, pity me.

naedauuf 11-08-2012 07:30 AM

It's 6:30am right now and my bed time is soon at around 8. I work 10:30pm-7am. (today is my day off)

Honestly if you can stay away I would. It ruins your life. You effectively become nocturnal, and it's cool at first, but it is just horrible later on. Can't ever see anyone because everyone is up while I'm asleep, I'm always alone because I'm up when people are asleep. Lonely lonely life.

**** nights. Only reason I work them is because my job ****ed me over and cut me to 16 hours a week for days, and I can get lots on nights because no one wants to do them. It's hard to find a new job in my area, so I'm stuck doing this bullshit.

Try not to, but if you're in a situation like me (living on your own, no other choice), then you gotta do what you gotta do.

Hydra150 11-08-2012 07:32 AM

^I've heard similar complaints from my brother. He does nightshifts occasionally, but used to do them regularly (they stopped paying extra a while back).

naedauuf 11-08-2012 07:33 AM

The night premium is an okay bonus too, an extra dollar an hour where I work.. Better than nothing, I guess :/

Hydra150 11-08-2012 07:34 AM