UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   On the market for new rock/metal amp (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1572034)

MetalManiac_86 11-08-2012 05:08 PM

On the market for new rock/metal amp

I wanted to get a few opinions on some amps capable of doing some real ballsy metal. I currently have a Mesa Lonstar Special which I'll be selling and some cash on top of that so I have a fairly good budget. I recently bought a house so I'm also no longer worried about being too loud or noisy as much as when I was in an apartment... Soooo i think I want to get a head and 4x12. Unless I found a good deal on an interesting combo.

A head I'm really considering is a Mesa Dual Rec.
I know there are the usual recommendations of the aforementioned, 5150/6505, engl's, diezel, etc

What do you guys think? What would be a nice cab? Haven't owned any before.
Like I said, ultimately I'm looking for something that has some seriousHeAVY tones on tap without the need of a distortion pdl yet can still do some other things decent and isnt a one trick pony sort of deal.

lemurflames 11-08-2012 05:11 PM

Dual Rectifier and a Mesa Rec 412 or Orange 412.

Dave_Mc 11-08-2012 07:22 PM

the recto cabs have a good rep. also the v30s in them are slightly different from v30s loaded into most other cabs, so if you've liked how a recto sounds through its own cab, it might make sense to get the recto cab.

two points:

1: I wouldn't say the recto is super-saturated/super-distorted compared to a lot of more modern high gainers. It does sound badass, and does sound heavy as all-get-out because of its voicing, though. a boost would help with the saturation (and also tighten it up, assuming you get something in the tubescreamer mould).

2: While I wouldn't call it a one-trick pony, I wouldn't call it the most versatile high gainer available, either.

It really boils down to- do you want something that sounds like a recto, or do you just want a killer high gain tone? If the former, get the recto. You probably won't be happy unless you do. If the latter, consider some other options (you have loads)- they may be more versatile, and have more gain/saturation/compression.

MetalManiac_86 11-08-2012 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
the recto cabs have a good rep. also the v30s in them are slightly different from v30s loaded into most other cabs, so if you've liked how a recto sounds through its own cab, it might make sense to get the recto cab.

two points:

1: I wouldn't say the recto is super-saturated/super-distorted compared to a lot of more modern high gainers. It does sound badass, and does sound heavy as all-get-out because of its voicing, though. a boost would help with the saturation (and also tighten it up, assuming you get something in the tubescreamer mould).

2: While I wouldn't call it a one-trick pony, I wouldn't call it the most versatile high gainer available, either.

It really boils down to- do you want something that sounds like a recto, or do you just want a killer high gain tone? If the former, get the recto. You probably won't be happy unless you do. If the latter, consider some other options (you have loads)- they may be more versatile, and have more gain/saturation/compression.

Hey thanks for your reply. I do like the recto but I honestly have 't spent a whole lot of time with one either. What other options would stand out to you? Just curious to hear peoples thoughts.

Dave_Mc 11-08-2012 08:12 PM

kinda hard to say, because canadian prices are probably a bit different from the european/UK/Ireland prices which I'm more used to.

But I'd say look into soldano, fryette (formerly VHT, current VHT is owned by AXL and makes totally different, more vintage-style amps), splawn (haven't tried those) and peavey 6505. The evh 5150 III is meant to be good, too, but i haven't tried it.

then you have european brands which might not be as good value where you are (or the USA-made stuff might be better value where you are than it is here, which in effect is the same thing) but which are worth trying if you can find them- Engl, Diezel, Brunetti, Laney, stuff like that.

Unholy.Daemon 11-08-2012 08:13 PM

well there are the obvious answers like you said, 6505, 5150, etc.

i'd suggest blackstar, as they always seem to be capable of a lot of different tones, and while they can sound quite marshally (in my experience) you can use that ISF feature they have to get a more american sound if that's what you're after

Ippon 11-08-2012 08:31 PM

Depending how heavy you want to get, in case you're still looking for amp suggestions, check out the Tremoverb, very versatile and retains the Recto signature tone. If you want even more versatility, check out the RoadKing II. The RK II is a tweaker's amp and if you're patient, will truly satisfy, from LoneStar Clean to in-your-face br00tz.

Check out the Bogner Uberschall or Uberschall Twin Jet, too. If pristine Clean all the way to high Gain is a priority, check out the Rivera KTre and KR100/KR7. These don't sound good at bedroom/low volumes, BTW.

If you need the hotrodded Marshall tone, check out the Splawn QuickRod (EL34) or ProMod (KT88). I prefer the Bogner Ecstasy over the QR.

KailM 11-09-2012 09:35 AM

First off, what's your budget?

Because when I think versatility, I don't think of Rectifiers and 6505s. All-out brutality, yep, they do that. I personally prefer the 6505 sound, but I've never owned a Rectifier. I've never been able to get a real satisfying brutal tone out of one, but I realize they take a bit more time to get adjusted. All of the 6505s I've played, including the one I own have been super easy to obtain that pummeling rhythm tone I like. With some tube swaps I've been able to get mine to have really nice clean tones as well, especially with passive pickups.

That said though, if you have enough money, there are other options. I've been playing a Mesa Royal Atlantic at the local store recently and I'm quite impressed -- excellent cleans, nice rock crunch, and plenty of gain for extreme metal. But here, we're talking about quite a bit more dough. All I can suggest beyond that is to take your guitar and go around trying as much as possible -- and ask if you can crank them for a bit. Most of the amps you'll be looking at sound better when "opened up" a bit.

sg4ever 11-09-2012 01:21 PM

The only rectos that I've really liked were the Roadster or aforementioned Roadking II. The regular Dual Rectifiers that I've played (even the 2010 revisions) were just a bit too wooly and soft in the low frequency. I could dial in a manageable sound, but I generally prefer a stiffer and more sharp attack the sound when playing that sort of music.