UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Pit (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   The Planetside 2 thread. (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1572130)

King Twili 11-09-2012 07:51 AM

The Planetside 2 thread.

With the game coming out in little over a week, I thought it might have been a good idea to start a thread to try and attract some UGers to this awesome game.

Having played the beta for several weeks, I'd say that it's a really good game; think of Battlefield 2142 on steroids. It sees three factions - The Terran Republic (HitlerStalins) - The New Conglomerate (Smelly rebelling miners) - and The Vanu Sovereignty (Religious nutjobs using Alien technology). These factions pretty much duke it out for control over the planet they've been trapped on after the Wormhole generator broke down, Auraxim. Each has their own advantage and disadvantage.

The game itself is F2P, and if the beta is anything to go by, isn't P2W at all. All of the weapons and certifications/upgrades can be unlocked with in game "Cert Points" , with cash instead being used for XP boosts and vehicle camos.

Each continent on each server holds 2000 players - so as it stands for release, with three continents, each server will hold 6000 players (good one maths bro). More continents are to come, including water based continents (ie, ones with lots of water). Right now we have a desert continent, Indar, an Arctic continent, Esamir, and a Mountainous/Tropical/Meadow continent, Amerish.

Enough of my rambling, have some videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ49...feature=related

SysReq as of 31/08/12:

Minimum System Requirements

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 or higher / AMD Phenom II X2 or higher
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Hard Drive: 15 GB free
Video Memory: 256 MB RAM
Video Card: nVidia GeForce 8600 series or higher / AMD or ATI 4850 series or higher
Sound Card: DirectX compatible

Recommended System

Processor: Intel i5 processor or higher / AMD Phenom II X6 or higher
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Hard Drive: 15 GB free
Video Memory: 1,024 MB RAM
Video Card: nVidia GeForce 500 series or higher / AMD HD 6870 or higher
Sound Card: DirectX compatible

We should set up a UG outfit.

TL;DR - Free awesomeness. Acquire it and play it.

Weaponized 11-09-2012 07:55 AM

I got a beta key a a while back, but it turned out i can't run it at better than like 5fps with everything on low. Aw well :(

Antis0cial 11-09-2012 08:00 AM

I'll try it out once it's out. Not worth it to sign up for the beta at this point.

I doubt I'm going to play this over World of Tanks though... And I don't have the time to play 2 MMO games.

guitargodofaus 11-09-2012 08:10 AM

SO i don't have to buy it, I can just download it for free and play? if so I'm deffs going to play it

King Twili 11-09-2012 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antis0cial
I'll try it out once it's out. Not worth it to sign up for the beta at this point.

I doubt I'm going to play this over World of Tanks though... And I don't have the time to play 2 MMO games.

WoT is hardly an MMO.

^ and yeah, the game is F2P. The whole $40 thing they have going on right now is for guaranteed early access (no point in this now), $40 worth of Station Cash (real money credit), early weapon unlocks, special camos, and a 6month 105 xp boost. So for those of you who plan on spending money on this, go for it, it's not a bad deal. Personally, i don't think it's worth it though, when everything can be unlocked through gametime.

guitargodofaus 11-09-2012 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Twili
WoT is hardly an MMO.

^ and yeah, the game is F2P. The whole $40 thing they have going on right now is for guaranteed early access (no point in this now), $40 worth of Station Cash (real money credit), early weapon unlocks, special camos, and a 6month 105 xp boost. So for those of you who plan on spending money on this, go for it, it's not a bad deal. Personally, i don't think it's worth it though, when everything can be unlocked through gametime.

Yeah ill definitely play this then, just was not going to buy it seeing as im a uni student currently without a job :p:

H4T3BR33D3R 11-09-2012 10:02 AM

Is this the game that TB doesn't shut up about?

King Twili 11-09-2012 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H4T3BR33D3R

I have no idea what or who TB is.

Teh Traineez0rz 11-09-2012 10:29 AM

I played this last night wasn't too interesting but when I played today we pissed off a bunch of Terrans by taking their turf. They rolled back up 10 mins later with 50 guys with tanks and shit lolol.

I'm playing as the Religious Nutjob faction.

King Twili 11-09-2012 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh Traineez0rz
I played this last night wasn't too interesting but when I played today we pissed off a bunch of Terrans by taking their turf. They rolled back up 10 mins later with 50 guys with tanks and shit lolol.

I'm playing as the Religious Nutjob faction.

Ah, I'm really not too keen on the VS, they just feel so underpowered to me. It would be nice if they'd get a buff

thes50 11-09-2012 05:01 PM

Brilliant game, worth taking a look at if you haven't seen it yet.

*Shameless self-promotion*

I happen to have a video of Planetside 2, you should check it out!

That video is definitely one of my worst, but seriously, the games brilliant and if your computer can run it then it's worth playing, it's in beta for a few more days then it's released as an f2p game.

King Twili 11-09-2012 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thes50
Brilliant game, worth taking a look at if you haven't seen it yet.

*Shameless self-promotion*

I happen to have a video of Planetside 2, you should check it out!

That video is definitely one of my worst, but seriously, the games brilliant and if your computer can run it then it's worth playing, it's in beta for a few more days then it's released as an f2p game.

Not a bad summary video from what I've watched so far. My only question though; How in the world do you play on such a low FoV?

CrimsonBizzare 11-09-2012 08:00 PM

Quote:

Yes. I'm pretty sure he's paid by SOE to promote it, though.

I've a beta key and I have the game halfway downloaded but I haven't bothered to finish the download and play it yet. :shrug:

TheChaz 11-09-2012 08:45 PM

Ooh. I had no idea it was coming out so soon. How's the beta playing? Does it seem ready for release, or should I wait a few months for some extra polishing to be done?

King Twili 11-09-2012 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChaz
Ooh. I had no idea it was coming out so soon. How's the beta playing? Does it seem ready for release, or should I wait a few months for some extra polishing to be done?

A recent patch has, in my opinion, tidied it up a LOT. Went from playing from low at 1280*720 to a mix of medium/high at 1920*1080. There are still more changes to come before release. I'd say there's no harm in getting it on release. SOE have really listened to the community on this one.

TheChaz 11-09-2012 09:17 PM

Quote:
A recent patch has, in my opinion, tidied it up a LOT. Went from playing from low at 1280*720 to a mix of medium/high at 1920*1080. There are still more changes to come before release. I'd say there's no harm in getting it on release. SOE have really listened to the community on this one.

Cool. Those system reqs look pretty high for a game with unimpressive graphics. Is it really that intensive? I pass everything but the video card for the recommended specs, and I'll be getting a new one soon anyway, but it still seems quite high.

King Twili 11-09-2012 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChaz
Cool. Those system reqs look pretty high for a game with unimpressive graphics. Is it really that intensive? I pass everything but the video card for the recommended specs, and I'll be getting a new one soon anyway, but it still seems quite high.

I wouldn't say the graphics are unimpressive - when you see it running on max settings at night time, you'll see that it's quite pretty. Considering the default draw distance is (I believe) set to 10km too, it's again expected. Not to mention that there are a shitload of players on each server. The result is that the game is quite CPU intensive, although they're trying to reduce the strain a bit. I will agree though that the textures are piss poor, even on high settings. I think somebody mentioned that theyre adding higher res ones after release.

Trowzaa 11-09-2012 09:44 PM

Quote:

To be fair, he does sell it pretty well.

This is one of the many games that are making me want to buy a top-end PC.

TheChaz 11-09-2012 10:07 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't say the graphics are unimpressive - when you see it running on max settings at night time, you'll see that it's quite pretty. Considering the default draw distance is (I believe) set to 10km too, it's again expected. Not to mention that there are a shitload of players on each server. The result is that the game is quite CPU intensive, although they're trying to reduce the strain a bit. I will agree though that the textures are piss poor, even on high settings. I think somebody mentioned that theyre adding higher res ones after release.

Good. The textures are the main thing that make it look kinda weak. I'm gonna be getting a GTX 670 and I'll want to push it.

Teh Traineez0rz 11-10-2012 02:28 AM

the graphics are pretty bad, but it's free to play and it's an mmo so it's pretty negligible when you get immersed in the game.