UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Electric Guitar (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Buying my first guitar (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1572317)

Themius 11-10-2012 12:23 PM

Buying my first guitar

So I am wanting to buy an electric guitar. First one, I want to start playing a new instrument. I used to play trombone. I was going to buy an epiphone lp special 2. My budget is about 200 dollars. Or used lp 100; however, I was looking around this forum and I saw some older post mentioning rondo and was wondering would a douglas shadow be better?

krehzeekid 11-10-2012 01:43 PM

all three of those guitars are rather poor. the douglas is probably better value, but it isn't any better.

if you can pop the $225 for it, an Agile al-2000 (from Rondo) would be much better. It is better made and features better materials and parts.

what is your total budget though? what amp are you considering?

Themius 11-10-2012 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krehzeekid
all three of those guitars are rather poor. the douglas is probably better value, but it isn't any better.

if you can pop the $225 for it, an Agile al-2000 (from Rondo) would be much better. It is better made and features better materials and parts.

I have an old 2004 vox amp I am planning on using. It's never been used but... five times or so?

krehzeekid 11-10-2012 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themius
I have an old 2004 vox amp I am planning on using. It's never been used but... five times or so?

do you have a model name?

also, what sort of music are you wanting to play?

Themius 11-10-2012 02:15 PM

Quote:
do you have a model name?

also, what sort of music are you wanting to play?

indie rock, classic rock, random jazz is i'm in that mood. I really like just about every genre of music. I don't have a model name, it's currently in storage I'll be getting it later.

JoeFlips 11-10-2012 02:19 PM

Quote:

+1

AL-2000 with P90s

krehzeekid 11-10-2012 02:20 PM

cool.

the al-2000 will be a solid all-purpose guitar, provided that your amp is up to the task. depending on which vox you have, you may need to pop for a distortion pedal too (you can get decent ones for $50 pretty easily).

Themius 11-10-2012 03:02 PM

My budget really is right around 160-170 though and the 2000 is going to be 225 + the shipping, unless I can ind one used.

krehzeekid 11-10-2012 03:11 PM

Quote:
My budget really is right around 160-170 though and the 2000 is going to be 225 + the shipping, unless I can ind one used.

the reality with the guitars you're looking at is that spending $50 or so more is going to get you a substantially better guitar. the epiphones and the douglas are nice looking firewood at the end of the day. the other factor to consider is how long a guitar will last you- a really cheap guitar will feel cheap really quickly, and you'll undoubtedly replace it quickly. a better guitar will last you longer, thus forcing you to spend less money in the long run.

Themius 11-10-2012 03:30 PM

Quote:
the reality with the guitars you're looking at is that spending $50 or so more is going to get you a substantially better guitar. the epiphones and the douglas are nice looking firewood at the end of the day. the other factor to consider is how long a guitar will last you- a really cheap guitar will feel cheap really quickly, and you'll undoubtedly replace it quickly. a better guitar will last you longer, thus forcing you to spend less money in the long run.

it's going to cost $90-100 more for the agile. I'm buying my guitar strictly with earnings i've made online, If I wait another month I'll probably have enough for it then but I have nothing to play till then and times a wasting.

krehzeekid 11-10-2012 03:50 PM

Quote:
it's going to cost $90-100 more for the agile. I'm buying my guitar strictly with earnings i've made online, If I wait another month I'll probably have enough for it then but I have nothing to play till then and times a wasting.

it's your money, it's your choice.

I'm simply suggesting that your money will go further if you can be patient. A month isn't that long- it's probably worth the wait.

ghobby 11-10-2012 04:59 PM

I would wait for the extra money, if you can't I would reccomend a yamaha pacifica or ltd ec-50. The cheaper Epi's don't stay in tune very well and will drive you crazy.

JoeFlips 11-10-2012 05:03 PM

Quote:

+1

Borrow money if you have to, an agile will last you years both in durability and versatility. Almost any other guitar at that price ringe will be useless within a year.

Themius 11-10-2012 06:25 PM

What about the xaviere xv-500. I see it has good reviews on here. I'm bidding on one.

Themius 11-10-2012 09:07 PM

I'm bidding on the xaviere, but I do have another 90 dollars in another blog I will get once it reaches 100 which it should this month, IN that case I would have an extra hundred to spend and would buy the agile.

Is there anywhere else that I can buy the agile al2000 for a good price?

Edit:

Accidental double post. I'm used to a forum where double post automatically get pushed into your previous one.

JoeFlips 11-11-2012 12:13 AM

^ Rondomusic.com

AWACS 11-11-2012 12:28 AM

Themius, do you live in the US? Otherwise buying from Rondo is useless. With shipping, customs, etc., the guitar is going to be 1.5x-2x the cost normally if you lived in the US.

Themius 11-11-2012 01:07 AM

I live in New Jersey so that won't be a problem. I wanted to see if I could find a used Agile but there are none on ebay or cragslist..

SteveHOC 11-11-2012 01:50 AM

I'd look at:

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/msg/3324547151.html

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/msg/3311439289.html

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/msg/3311439289.html

Three very different options - I'd go with the Wildkat, as you might be able to offer $200 and get it flat-out. I'm not sure if these are near you or not, but just a few ideas.

krehzeekid 11-11-2012 02:08 AM

either of those would be good guitars. as long as they seem to be in decent shape upon inspection, they'd be fine (Jersey is relatively small- check them in person if you can)