UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Electric Guitar (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   My guitar won't make any noise. (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1572404)

Deek_13 11-10-2012 09:08 PM

My guitar won't make any noise.

Okay, let's think about how to put this, i'm terrible at explaining things...

When i plug my guitar into any amp i can't get any sound to come through at all. The amp works perfect for other guitars and the leads work perfectly for other guitars. The strange thing about it is that when i plug into my tuner, the tuner picks it up no problem its a boss tu-2 which i believe has no mic so it can't be picking up the un-amplified strings if that makes any sense. Any idea how i can start making noise again guys?

Edit: I had a look around the guts of the thing and there doesn't seem to be any loose connections or anything, all looks as it should.

Huge Guy 11-10-2012 11:36 PM

Could be the input jack. Do you hear any sort of static or anything like that when you plug it into an amp?

Deek_13 11-11-2012 11:27 AM

Yeah, it makes all the usual sounds plugging in and then nothing... :(

Huge Guy 11-11-2012 11:59 AM

Should be an easy fix then.

jj1565 11-11-2012 01:23 PM

take the jack out, look to see if both wires still connected.
then post back.

Deek_13 11-11-2012 08:52 PM

Yeah, they're both connected! All the wires look fine.

jj1565 11-11-2012 09:06 PM

with the jack still out, insert the cable and see if it connects.
here.

also, make sure that your cable is a good one.
try other guitar cables, other guitars, other amps.

DarkHorseJ27 11-11-2012 09:41 PM

That happened to me once. I didn't plug in the amp. :D

Huge Guy 11-11-2012 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorseJ27
That happened to me once. I didn't plug in the amp. :D

Ha ha, I've connected the guitar to the headphone input! :o

JAHellraiser 11-11-2012 09:56 PM

well what kind of guitar is it? does it have active pickups?

Deek_13 11-12-2012 11:24 AM

I've tried different guitars, amps and cables its the guitar that's playing up for sure! It's just a cheap schecter Blackhawk with passive pups. It's for messing about on that's why I'm a bit reluctant to spend some cash getting it fixed.

Dick Foster 11-12-2012 01:09 PM

Does the tuner work with either pickup and or both?

Have you tried connecting the tuner to the amp and using the stomp bypass switch in the tuner? You didn't say so I thought I'd ask. At least that would eliminate jacks and what not.

Seems to me if the tuner is working then it should feed the amp. However maybe you just have a very low signal level from a bad volume pot or pickup switch and the buffer amp in the tuner can pick it up but it's insufficient to drive an amp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deek_13
I've tried different guitars, amps and cables its the guitar that's playing up for sure! It's just a cheap schecter Blackhawk with passive pups. It's for messing about on that's why I'm a bit reluctant to spend some cash getting it fixed.

jeleopard 11-12-2012 01:50 PM

If the volume pot turned up >.> I forget about it sometimes XD

FenrirFangs 11-12-2012 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeleopard
If the volume pot turned up >.> I forget about it sometimes XD

Check this haha. I can't tell you how many times I've done this. Freaked out, checked the entire guitar, amp, cords, all of it, only to realize I had the volume knob down.

jeleopard 11-12-2012 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenrirFangs
Check this haha. I can't tell you how many times I've done this. Freaked out, checked the entire guitar, amp, cords, all of it, only to realize I had the volume knob down.

I also sometimes freak out cause the wrong pickup is toggled and my tone is wrong and I'm like "WTF IS WRONG AAAGGGGHHHH.... Oh......"

jj1565 11-12-2012 09:09 PM

Quote:

make sure you are bypassing any other tuners or pedals, go directly into the working amp.

blow can compressed air into the switch while flicking.
see if dirt in there, cutting off signal.

if not you're going to need to find the detatched wires.
possibly from the output jack to the pot.

Deek_13 11-13-2012 11:03 AM

Its deffo not something stupid like volume turned down or anything like that, i've made sure of that! the only thing i've not tried is plugging into the amp through the tuner so i'll go try that in just a second. The one other thing is compressed air thing, seems quite likely that it could be clogged up with dirt. The guitar has been sitting on the shelf for months and was dusty as hell when i took it down.

Dick Foster 11-13-2012 02:01 PM

Work all the switches and pots back and forth several times. Jiggle them while playing to see if you can isolate the offending part. If a contact is oxidized sometimes that will clean it up enough to operate. I think I saw that that guitar had push pulls so exercise those too.

If you not into electronics maybe get a friend who is to go over and clean up all the controls with some electrical contact cleaner.

Quote:
Its deffo not something stupid like volume turned down or anything like that, i've made sure of that! the only thing i've not tried is plugging into the amp through the tuner so i'll go try that in just a second. The one other thing is compressed air thing, seems quite likely that it could be clogged up with dirt. The guitar has been sitting on the shelf for months and was dusty as hell when i took it down.

bigtrv_93 05-17-2013 02:08 AM

Quote:

Hey, I don't know whether this problem has been solved or not, but I've done some reading on the Blackhawk, and apparently the Volume pot is quite often a faulty issue. Replacing one is fairly simple, and usually only costs a few dollars. Hope this helps :)

Axe Murderer 05-17-2013 10:08 AM

You have to STRUM it for it to make noise!