UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Another Amp Thread (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1572577)

minieme007 11-11-2012 09:08 PM

Another Amp Thread

So basically I'm looking to buy my first tube halfstack. The reason I'm going for the halfstack is because of the few gigs I've played they've had a cab mic'd up and just wanted me to use a head, or just use theirs. Obviously, I'd like to use my own head, and cabinet when needed.

Budget: $1000 AUD, I could go a few hundred over if it'll get something really great, but that's about it.

New or used: Don't care

Genres: Any kind of rock really. Tones I love are Tom Morrello, Matt Bellamy, and that sort of generic pop punk sound. Good cleans are a must, and I'd like to have the versatility of both crunch and high-gain, as I occasionally play a little metal (nothing particularly brutal though)

Home or gig: Both. I'll probably just get a 112 for home, and use venues' cabs when I can.

Closest city: Melbourne, Australia

Current gear: Randall RG40, not versatile enough for me, doesn't sound particularly great. Guitar is a custom, Bare Knuckle nailbomb bridge and Duncan P90 in the neck.

What I'm currently looking at is the Bugera 1990, one of the new ones that supposedly have the reliability issues fixed, I've heard they sound great, and unlike the old ones don't break in five minutes. Used JCM 900 is also a possibility. Peavey Valveking I'm also looking at. Cabinet, something like just a Blackstar 112, possibly a Marshall 1960A. I played through a TSL something and it blew me away, though this was at a gig and I didn't tinker with it, plus it's a bit out of my price range.

Thanks for reading that great Wall :)

EDIT: I thought I should probably add, absolute necessities are an effects loop and channel switching, not that they're uncommon but just so you know

telemetal 11-11-2012 09:11 PM

Try and track down a used Egnater Renegade dude. I love mine, it's damn versatile and really well built too

ihartfood 11-11-2012 10:08 PM

the JCM900 is a safe bet for that although you'll probably want the SL-X or Mk II model, as the dual reverb model uses a lot of solid state BS.

Look into the Jet City JCA50 as well.

Perverockstar69 11-11-2012 10:33 PM

JCM 2000 DSL
Laney VH100
Egnater Renegade

ihartfood 11-11-2012 10:37 PM

Laney Gh50 or the aforementioned VH100 will work as well.

Perverockstar69 11-11-2012 10:41 PM

He needs good cleans so I don't think the GH50 is gonna work for him :shrug:

ihartfood 11-11-2012 11:45 PM

oh schnap. missed that.

Ippon 11-12-2012 12:00 AM

In addition to those already mentioned, don't forget to audition the following if you see them: Peavey JSX, Bogner Alchemist, H&K Tubemeister, B-52 AT100.

:cheers:

ihartfood 11-12-2012 12:05 AM

Ippon have you owned an alchemist?

if so, what'd you think of it?

Ippon 11-12-2012 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartfood
Ippon have you owned an alchemist?

if so, what'd you think of it?

I love it, a lot. So easy to dial.

Very reactive to whatever picking style, specially with medium output PUs. I love its Bogner Clean (:)) to dirty Blues to Dinosur Rock, and with my 7 strings, decent Metal. The only passable thing is the Reverb. Mine's from the 1st week it was released. Got it for a silly price because of a dent. It's a keeper since it survived my occasional carelessness and friends' idiocies. :haha

ihartfood 11-12-2012 01:06 AM

k coo. sorry for hijack TS :)
nice to know. I've yet to play one myself but I've heard them several times in stores, like the kind of store where the people demo the stuff for you haha. "ruh roh, teenager alert! don't let him touch SHIT!"

minieme007 11-12-2012 02:42 AM

What do you guys think of the Blackstar Club 50 and Bugera 1990? Without being able to play a whole lot at the moment, these are my two primary options that I'm looking at, though obviously I'll try before buying.

Actually the Hughes and Kettner looks pretty kickass too, and luckily the shop I'm going to tomorrow has them so I might give it a shot

Perverockstar69 11-12-2012 02:53 AM

Both sound good, cons are Blackstar is not all tube (has SS clipping diodes IIRC, just like some JCM 900's anyway...) and some Bugera's tend to have reliability problems. I wouldn't buy any of those but that's just because I'm too picky about amps.

Volcz 11-12-2012 05:04 AM

The H&K will be really nice! But I think they have a solid-state 'boost' channel?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Sledgeman 11-17-2012 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcz
The H&K will be really nice! But I think they have a solid-state 'boost' channel?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Maybe the lead boost function, it's not a channel of its own, is that. Just like putting an OD pedal in front of the amp. If one doesn't like it, than use your favorite OD pedal instead.