UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Electric Guitar (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Squier tele custom (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1572603)

switchfooter 11-12-2012 12:06 AM

Squier tele custom

Hi

Last time I was at guitar center I tried a Fender tele custom with p90's and fell in love with it. The only part that turns me away is the price. as a high schooler $700 is quite steep, especially while saving for a car. But anyways I was wondering if the Squire tele custom would even be half as good because its only half the price.

Thanks

Ippon 11-12-2012 01:08 AM

The Squier Tele Custom II should be close enough, specially if you have a decent amp.

Pink Muse 11-12-2012 01:58 AM

The Squier Telecaster Custom II is the one with P90's, I've got its humbucker brother (humbrother?) and I'm pretty happy with it for a beginner guitar. They can be found $150 or less used, too, so you can get a nice amp; I'd suggest a Vypyr 30 or something along those lines, around $100 used. $250 for a starter combo that'll last you a good, long while.

daverichards 11-12-2012 08:14 AM

had a squier tele custom ii (p90) for a couple years a while back, loved the guitar!
it was on par with mexi tele's easily, the pick ups were pretty good, definitely warmer than standard tele's.

only issue i had was the pots were a bit cheap (can't expect too much), so had to give them a bit of tweaking to get rid of the crackle-ness

Mazz- 11-12-2012 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchfooter
Hi

Last time I was at guitar center I tried a Fender tele custom with p90's and fell in love with it. The only part that turns me away is the price. as a high schooler $700 is quite steep, especially while saving for a car. But anyways I was wondering if the Squire tele custom would even be half as good because its only half the price.

Thanks

Yeah man, Squier's aren't bad...they're less expensive mainly because they're made/built in Indonesia right now, but that changed over the years, I'm 27 years-old, I've played guitar since I was 2 years-old (1987)...I had one of the first batch of Squier's, they were made in Mexico, then Japan, then Korea & now they're in Indonesia...but that's not completely a bad thing, parts like Pots (Potentiometers), Pickups, Switches, etc... are cheaper & aren't as good, but hell, higher quality parts like that cost a lot less & in this case I think the Soap Bar P90's they have in these are Duncan Design (not to be confused with Seymour Duncan's which are REALLY expensive pickups, but are, in many cases, worth it...)

HeartString 11-13-2012 12:39 AM

I have two and had a fret dress done with both and he set them up for lead and they have very low action and play like butter! 1 is the vintage seashore gold the other is candy apple red. 350.00 and 199.00 respectively. The fret dress is a must though imho. 90.00 for that service at our GC.

gpme332 11-13-2012 01:45 AM

Just tried a Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster with P90's at Sam Ash the other day. I was truly impressed with it's ease of play, sound and overall quality. I looked at the price and was stunned it was only $299.

Gonna keep my eye on those and buy one if possible. If the Tele is anything like the Jazzmaster I don't think you can go wrong.