UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Emulating a Mardhall MG100DFX through JH-1 Jackhammer distortion pedal? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1572634)

odandrikop 11-12-2012 07:33 AM

Emulating a Mardhall MG100DFX through JH-1 Jackhammer distortion pedal?

Hi,
I'm fairly new in this forum, but I have one small question. I play through a ESP Eclipse 1 CTM FR (standard series) plugged in a Marshall MG100DFX combo. I play mostly metal and hard rock. Up to now, my amplifier's distortion is my choice in playing, although I also own a Boss Metal Zone pedal.
In the studio, we want to emulate that distortion sound (of the MG100DFX). I think it's a fairly simple thing to do, since we're talking about a very cheap amp (no tubes, the combo cost around $500 6 years ago). However our pedals don't do a very convincing job.

Should I go for the JH-1 Jackhammer pedal? It has the same controls as the amplifier's distortion pedal.... They claim it's a Marshall distortion "on the go". Is this really the case?

Thanks in advance, and please pardon my grammar errors, English is not my first language.

I K0nijn I 11-12-2012 07:35 AM

First of all I have no clue why you would want to emulate the sound of an MG100, but if that's your thing, that's your choice.

Second of all, why don't you bring your amplifier in to record?

odandrikop 11-12-2012 07:43 AM

You are right, MG100 is a crappy amplifier compared to more expensive models, however the question should be more like "can I emulate this kind of distortion with the JH-1 pedal?". I mentioned the MG100, since I don't have the experience to say if that's the classic Marshall distorted sound....
Also, I don't really want to carry a 50kg amplifier with me every time I jam with the guys.... JH-1 could be a life saver in this regard :-)

chatterbox272 11-12-2012 07:45 AM

When they claim it's Marshall distortion it is unlikely to be Marshall MG distortion, as that's generally not considered to be a good amp. I would just mic the amp if you can, otherwise just run the emulated line out into your interface (using a cab impulse if necessary).

Also fair warning you'll probably get shit for having an MG on this forum, if you're happy with it just ignore them and they'll go away.

steven seagull 11-12-2012 07:56 AM

You'll struggle to get anything usable soundwise by trying to run a pedal direct into a mixing desk - that's not what they're for.

If you want to record you either need an amplifier or a decent direct recording interface that does at the very least cab emulation but amp emulation would be nice to., the pedal on it's own won't do the job. The Jackhammer is a decent enough pedal though, you'd get a better live sound running that into the clean channel of the MG.

odandrikop 11-12-2012 08:09 AM

Thanks, I will not use it for recording, just jamming in a very small studio with inexpensive equipment....

chatterbox272 11-12-2012 08:27 AM

ahh, when you said "in the studio" I think we all thought recording studio.

SexyLikeAPig 11-12-2012 08:57 AM

A pedal on it's own can't make a sound. You'd need some sort of power amp and speaker setup. Even then, it would sound horrible, because that's not really how pedals work. They only sound good when run through a guitar amp.

IMO, these are your options:

1) Lug the amp to the practice studio

2) Sell your current amplifier and get something lighter, with a similar sound

3) Sell your current amplifier and get something lighter and run a distortion pedal through it

4) Save up and buy another amp you can leave at the studio

5) Save up, sell your current amp and get something better and lighter

None of which are particularly practical. Although it depends somewhat on your financial situation.

steven seagull 11-12-2012 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odandrikop
Thanks, I will not use it for recording, just jamming in a very small studio with inexpensive equipment....

Then what's making the sound if you're not taking your amp :confused:

Cathbard 11-12-2012 09:03 AM

Repeatedly hit a cat with it.

Or if that offends, put it in a blender.

Blktiger0 11-12-2012 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SexyLikeAPig
A pedal on it's own can't make a sound. You'd need some sort of power amp and speaker setup. Even then, it would sound horrible, because that's not really how pedals work. They only sound good when run through a guitar amp.

IMO, these are your options:

1) Lug the amp to the practice studio

2) Sell your current amplifier and get something lighter, with a similar sound

3) Sell your current amplifier and get something lighter and run a distortion pedal through it

4) Save up and buy another amp you can leave at the studio

5) Save up, sell your current amp and get something better and lighter

None of which are particularly practical. Although it depends somewhat on your financial situation.

+1

If you can buy a Jackhammer, just sell your MG100DFX and use the money you were going to use for the Jackhammer and buy a better amp. You could probably get $250-$300 for the MG and the Jackhammer is around $100, so let's say you have a budget of $300 - $400

Jet City JCA22H
along with
JCA12XS

JCA2212C

Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
(This is a good deal, as it comes with the Sanpera II footpedal, which opens up worlds of awesome with those amps)

Those are all great starts. If you really want a list of good options, though, fill out the information here:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1387138

and we can get you set on the road to a better amp to suit your situation. Trust us, that's what you need. You'll get a better sound, you can get a lighter setup, and it's always fun to get a new toy to play with ;)

311ZOSOVHJH 11-12-2012 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0
+1

If you can buy a Jackhammer, just sell your MG100DFX and use the money you were going to use for the Jackhammer and buy a better amp. You could probably get $250-$300 for the MG and the Jackhammer is around $100, so let's say you have a budget of $300 - $400

Jet City JCA22H
along with
JCA12XS

JCA2212C

Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
(This is a good deal, as it comes with the Sanpera II footpedal, which opens up worlds of awesome with those amps)

Those are all great starts. If you really want a list of good options, though, fill out the information here:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1387138

and we can get you set on the road to a better amp to suit your situation. Trust us, that's what you need. You'll get a better sound, you can get a lighter setup, and it's always fun to get a new toy to play with ;)

This is the best advice

godgrinder 11-13-2012 08:18 AM

^ I second that.

Or if you want something really light and easy to carry, sell your MG and get a Sansamp GT-2 or Line 6 Pod.

odandrikop 11-16-2012 04:14 AM

thank you all for your replies, I was thinking sometime in the future to invest in a Line 6 pod hd500, so I guess maybe that was the best solution all along. Thanks for all the advice guys

gumbilicious 11-16-2012 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odandrikop
Hi,
I'm fairly new in this forum, but I have one small question. I play through a ESP Eclipse 1 CTM FR (standard series) plugged in a Marshall MG100DFX combo. I play mostly metal and hard rock. Up to now, my amplifier's distortion is my choice in playing, although I also own a Boss Metal Zone pedal.
In the studio, we want to emulate that distortion sound (of the MG100DFX). I think it's a fairly simple thing to do, since we're talking about a very cheap amp (no tubes, the combo cost around $500 6 years ago). However our pedals don't do a very convincing job.

Should I go for the JH-1 Jackhammer pedal? It has the same controls as the amplifier's distortion pedal.... They claim it's a Marshall distortion "on the go". Is this really the case?

Thanks in advance, and please pardon my grammar errors, English is not my first language.

is there any reason you couldn't just get an microphone in throw it in front of the cabinet? i try not to judge for preferred tone, but a 100 usd SM57 doesn't seem too outlandish if you like your amp.