UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Electric Guitar (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Is there a 7 string with these specs: (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1572728)

Offworld92 11-12-2012 07:54 PM

Is there a 7 string with these specs:

• 27(ish)" scale
  • TOM w/ Tailpiece
  • HH, passive routing
  • Superstrat shape (not LP)
  • Any neck joint except block bolt on
  • Around $400 used (I guess theoretically around $600-700 new?)

EDIT: Formatting

Trivium7 11-12-2012 08:33 PM

Don't know of any extended scale guitars with a TOM bridge but the Ibanez RGD7421 is pretty nice with a 26.5" scale. There may be some upper end Schecters that meet those specs but they are going to run up around $800-900. Its hard to find long scale 7strings in an affordable price range. However look on the Guitar Center used site, search "7str" or "7 str" and there maybe a few. I know there was a fanned fret Agile 7 string a few days ago for about $480

VVolverin3 11-12-2012 08:35 PM

I don't know if I've ever seen a TOM with a tailpiece on a 7 string super strat. Plenty of TOMs with string thru body but I guess that's out of the question? Could maybe custom order one from Agile but I guess that'd cost a fair bit more than $400 and could be a good few months down the track.

Even just the 27" scale request throws a spanner in the works as most of the "budget" 7 strings from ESP, Ibanez, etc tend to be standard scale. Let alone trying to find one with a TOM and tail that's not an LP shape! xD

I don't want to say that no there isn't (in answer to the the thread title) but I'm struggling to think of anything that fits all of your criteria. Sorry. :(

Tom 1.0 11-12-2012 08:42 PM

Aren't there a few Schecters? I know they are 26ish but that is close enough right?

Offworld92 11-12-2012 08:51 PM

Exactly, the tailpiece seems to be the biggest issue.

There are a lot of Schecters that have TOMs, but not with tailpieces. That makes a huge difference to me, comfort wise. I rest my hand on the strings in between the TOM and the tailpiece - I can't do that when there's no tailpiece.

If it makes a difference, the scale doesn't really matter that much, but I doubt it'd make a difference.

If there isn't one, I'll probably go for an Ibanez RG7420 (or anything with an FR really) and just block the bridge. That would be the second most comfortable option for me.

Tom 1.0 11-12-2012 08:53 PM

But what do you mean? I don't understand, a TOM is always the same?

Or are you After the sort of PRS one piece stop tails?

Offworld92 11-12-2012 09:12 PM

TOM:

TOM w/ tailpiece:

There's lots of 7s that have TOMs, but I want one that has a tailpiece as well.

VVolverin3 11-12-2012 09:13 PM

Does the shape have to be a super strat? ESP had some older Viper models that are vaguelly close to your specs. The Viper 417 if you can find one somewhere, no idea on price though. It has a Tom/Tail but I think the scale is only 25.5". There was also more than one baritone Viper (27") but they were then either 6 string or had the regular TOM with string thru so there's always a compromise on something.

Or there's the ESP F-STD 7, but even used you're probably have to triple your budget for that one! (Awesome guitar though)

Offworld92 11-12-2012 09:16 PM

I think I'd rather block an FR than get a Viper, haha. Though I will def keep it in mind, thanks. :)

VVolverin3 11-12-2012 09:21 PM

http://www.haloguitars.com/store/7-String-Guitar/ ??

Heard some mixed reviews but worth a look perhaps

Offworld92 11-12-2012 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVolverin3
http://www.haloguitars.com/store/7-String-Guitar/ ??

Heard some mixed reviews but worth a look perhaps

The Clarus would be perfect except for the awful neck heel. :(

Ippon 11-12-2012 10:17 PM

LTD H307! I have a Green and Red one.

IpponEdit: NVM, the H307 is 25.5"; but, it has the TOM and tailpiece. I was thinking of the LTD SC607B which is 27" but no tailpiece. :)

Tom 1.0 11-12-2012 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
TOM:

TOM w/ tailpiece:

There's lots of 7s that have TOMs, but I want one that has a tailpiece as well.

Fair enough.

I only every think of the usual 2 piece ones and forget about the first style. Hence my confusion...

Ippons suggestion s a good shout. They are lovely guitars and everybody knows older ltd = better ltd.

I had an m207 from back in the day and that was a lovely guitar.

Offworld92 11-12-2012 10:29 PM

Completely forgot about the H-307s. Derp. They're pretty much exactly the same as my 301, but with an extra string. Very nice guitars indeed.

My only qualm would be having a 7 string version of a guitar I already have, but if one popped up cheap enough, I'd jump on it. :cheers:

Oh just remembered, I'd much prefer passive pickup routing, but if the right deal popped up I could deal with EMGs.