UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Electric Guitar (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Maestro guitars (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1572760)

Bloodline15 11-12-2012 11:31 PM

Maestro guitars

Hey guys, a friend of mine has a Maestro Les Paul-style guitar, and he is looking to sell it. I know that Maestro is the "cheap-Gibson" kind of guitar, but I figured I'd at least try it out. Can you tell me anything about Maestro's quality? I know nothing about the particular guitar at the moment. Thanks, guys!

&baconstrips 11-12-2012 11:44 PM

Got pictures?

Huge Guy 11-12-2012 11:55 PM

It's basically a toy sold in stores like Best Buy. Only one pickup on it.

If you are serious about learning guitar I wouldn't start with that.

It's the lowest of the low end, you can do a lot better even for $100.

Bloodline15 11-13-2012 12:02 AM

Well, I've been playing for a couple of years. I believe there's two pickups in it, but I'll check. Would it be worth buying for maybe $60 as a "throw-away" guitar?

Huge Guy 11-13-2012 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodline15
Well, I've been playing for a couple of years. I believe there's two pickups in it, but I'll check. Would it be worth buying for maybe $60 as a "throw-away" guitar?

Well if it's that cheap and you've got the money go ahead, we all have some cheap-o's. I've never played one of these but you'll want to check it out first.

Personally I'd put Maestro in the same category as the First Act guitars you see in Toys R Us.

I've never actually played one so I don't know what they're like...I'm imagining super high action, doesn't stay in tune for more than a minute and intonation that's impossible to set.

Bloodline15 11-13-2012 12:14 AM

How do you know all of this without personal experience? Just curious.

Huge Guy 11-13-2012 12:26 AM

Quote:
How do you know all of this without personal experience? Just curious.

I own a few beginner guitars and the Maestro isn't even that. They're basically marketed to kids in department stores, I don't think music stores (like Guitar Center) even sell them. They are not built for quality and not built to last.

Maybe someone with some experience with these will chime in but don't expect a glowing review.

Bloodline15 11-13-2012 12:34 AM

Alright. Well, thanks for the info, I'll check it out and figure out what I want to do with it.

Deledhel 11-13-2012 01:43 AM

Is it a Maestro or a Mastro?

I had an electroacoustic (with f-holes and piezo) that I picked up on a whim for 250 euros. It was very decent however the brand name was Mastro.

paruwi 11-13-2012 02:59 AM

Quote:

Here is some more information....

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Divisions/Maestro/

I'd go the 'Epiphone' way....

Maestros model range is similar to the Epi LP-JUnior, SG-Junior and LP-100...

I think you can get one of those (IMO better) Epis for cheap, too

W4RP1G 11-13-2012 03:35 AM

I'd definitely compare Maestro to First Act. Both brands should be avoided at all costs.

RJH11 11-13-2012 10:35 AM

Save your cash and buy a used epi special anything. Maestros arent fit for firewood.

MegadethFan18 11-13-2012 12:43 PM

I had one as my first guitar and there was honestly nothing wrong with it, I recently sanded it and it was a nice 2 piece poplar body, no cap. From a construction stand point it was absolutely sound. The only thing was I didn't realize how to adjust the action, so once I got a nicer setup guitar it's action was too high.

I wouldn't buy one now but not because it was bad or anything I just have other guitars now. I am glad I learned on it though because after reading about people on here who can only play a specific brand/neck profile/radius/number of frets, I feel it made me into a very versatile guitar player as none of those problems exist for me.

If I was in the market for a project Paul or just a knock around guitar I'd buy it for $60, hell a body blank alone cost me $75!

TDS205 12-17-2012 10:18 AM

I actually own a gibson maestro and i have to say it isn't all that bad. I've had it for quite a few years now and it hasn't showed me any sign of it falling apart or it playing poorly. It has one pickup but it doesn't sound bad at all for a baldwin product. I'd say its like a 3 stars our of 5 for its kind. If your beginning on a guitar, i would defiantly start out on a maestro.

Verzila 12-17-2012 10:21 AM

If you've got the money for an Epiphone - don't buy an Epiphone. Buy Vintage - just as good or better than Epiphone, and you'll still have a few notes left in your pocket.

*link removed*