UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Electric Guitar (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Seeking advice about Epiphone ES-333 Tom Delonge (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1572941)

guitarfreak846 11-14-2012 05:17 AM

Seeking advice about Epiphone ES-333 Tom Delonge

I've been wanting to get a good archtop guitar that can handle rock and harder tones pretty well. I love Angels & Airwaves and blink-182 and noticed that Tom has his own signature guitar from Gibson that seems to be everything I'm looking for. Problem is, I don't want to spend 1000's of dollars to get the Gibson version. They make an Epiphone version that apparently has the same Dirty Fingers pickup as the Gibson version.

With all of that out of the way, I want to know if this guitar (the Epiphone version) is worth picking up or not, and if I can do any additional work or hardware replacements to help it stay in tune better, play better, etc.

Thoughts?

paruwi 11-14-2012 02:50 PM

How do you know it will not stay in tune - before you got it....... :haha:

T00DEEPBLUE 11-14-2012 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paruwi
How do you know it will not stay in tune - before you got it....... :haha:

Sir, PLEASE get your act together. Your tenses are all over the place.

The Dimery 11-14-2012 03:01 PM

Never understood the appeal of signature guitars, I mean whats the point?

VanTheKraut 11-14-2012 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
Sir, PLEASE get your act together. Your tenses are all over the place.

Go away, please. It wasnt even that bad.

Upgrading the nut and the bridge is supposed to improve the intonation. My Epiphone Sheraton isnt bad on this aspect and I've left both of them stock.

T00DEEPBLUE 11-14-2012 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanTheKraut

I usually don't point things like that out unless they're REALLY bad, so yes, it really is that bad.

mattrusso 11-14-2012 03:43 PM

A lot of people don't realize that you can make an ES-335 type guitar sound like a screaming Les Paul if you want to. I would suggest just going for the Epiphone Dot instead. You won't be paying for Tom Delonge's name and you'll get more versatility. You could always swap out the pickups, but the Dot I had back in the day (about 6 years ago I wanna say) could get pretty heavy sounding with the stock ones. To answer your question, seeing as the Dot is pretty well built for the low-mid price range, the Tom Delonge sig should be about the same quality. Just get it set up the way you like and if the tuning issues really bother you slap on some Sperzels or other locking tuners (I don't really think this would be worth it, though).

Beauty/Broken 11-14-2012 04:00 PM

I've got a friend who has one of these and he enjoys it. He prefers the Tom Delonge signature Fender Strat for versatility though. I think it's pretty widely agreed amongst fans of Delonge that his Strat was the better sounding guitar, but he signed with Gibson around 2002 or so and has stayed put so it's not so easy to find his Fender signatures anymore.

Like the above posters said, it's not difficult to put a Dirty Fingers Humbucker into another guitar if that's the sound you want. That pickup is key to Tom's sound in Blink and AVA. They're really cheap, too. Another option if you want that sound is to look into the Seymour Duncan Invader pickup.

Tom 1.0 11-14-2012 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanTheKraut

Upgrading the nut and the bridge is supposed to improve the intonation. My Epiphone Sheraton isnt bad on this aspect and I've left both of them stock.

.....surprised you aren't denouncing him for waging a new guitar....

cha33 armstrong 11-15-2012 10:54 AM

if there was a lefty version i would get it

JustRooster 11-15-2012 11:01 AM

A guy I used to work with had one and really enjoyed it. If you like the feel, go for it. DOT's and their variants are good guitars for the price. Besides, if you get it and don't like it, return it.

kangaxxter 11-15-2012 01:14 PM

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize this thread was just a grammar circlejerk.

Mephaphil 11-15-2012 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangaxxter
Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize this thread was just a grammar circlejerk.

Mephaphil 11-15-2012 04:33 PM

Oh shit... did I just turn this thread into the pit?

kindadumb 11-15-2012 04:48 PM

For all we know, English might not even be Paruwi's first language - it might be her/his second, third, fourth etc. How would we feel if we moved to Cambodia (random example) and had somebody telling us "Get your act together!" oh-so-sanctimoniously (or at least coming across that way unintentionally) following our every grammatical slip-up in Khmer?

Maybe I'm wrong, but it's something to keep in mind on the internet, and either way it makes the grammar police officer appear rather petty.

nickdohle 11-15-2012 05:36 PM

Hell english is my first and only language and I still mix up There and Their and sometimes when im in a rush while typing or texting to and too.

And I know Their is possessive and there is a pronoun, but who needs grammar right?

jacobtheimpaler 11-15-2012 07:53 PM

In my experience the neck on the 333 is a bit chunkier than the necks on the Dot, Sheraton, or similar Epiphone Semi-Hollows. If you can, try it out! The comfort of the neck in your hands can make or break the guitar for you.

paruwi 11-15-2012 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindadumb
For all we know, English might not even be Paruwi's first language - it might be her/his second, third, fourth etc. How would we feel if we moved to Cambodia (random example) and had somebody telling us "Get your act together!" oh-so-sanctimoniously (or at least coming across that way unintentionally) following our every grammatical slip-up in Khmer?

Maybe I'm wrong, but it's something to keep in mind on the internet, and either way it makes the grammar police officer appear rather petty.

Yep, English isn't my first language, though my grammar is not worse than most of the native speakers :D

I just asked a question....that the OP did not yet answer....

and the smartass quoting me didn't either...

How can one know that a guitar will not hold it's tune - before he has it in his hands ?

Anybody knows ?

danvwman 11-15-2012 10:07 PM

never buy a guitar you cant play before buying, or if your only option is online make sure they have a decent return/exchange policy.

guitarfreak846 11-17-2012 02:53 AM

It seems as if the only way I can get my hands on one would be to order it. I live a couple of hours away from the Gibson factory in Memphis, though. It might not be that bad to take a drive, visit the factory, and look around for one there.

I'm pretty dead set on getting it. I love the color/racing stripes.. really just about everything about it. My point of the thread was to see if there were any upgrades I can do to bring it up to par with it's Gibson brother. Then again, I might pick one up and think it doesn't need anything.