UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Site Suggestions (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Typo in guitar techniques' description. (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1572949)

Spaztikko 11-14-2012 09:13 AM

Typo in guitar techniques' description.

On the main page, it is such:

Guitar Techniques (34 Viewing)
The forum for discussing techniques. For beginners and experts alike, come in sit down and have fun!

Correction below. Just grammar nazi-ing it up a bit.

The forum for discussing techniques. For beginners and experts alike. Come in, sit down and have fun!

Yeah, idk. it's messing with me.

GaryBillington 11-14-2012 09:31 AM

Actually it can be argued that it promotes better technique to practice standing up, therefore perhaps complete removal of the 'sit down' part would be better?

whoomit 11-15-2012 06:59 AM

:haha:

Hydra150 11-15-2012 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBillington
Actually it can be argued that it promotes better technique to practice standing up, therefore perhaps complete removal of the 'sit down' part would be better?

"Guitar Techniques (654 Viewing)
The forum for discussing techniques. For beginners and experts alike. Come in, set up the metronome and have fun!"

Or maybe a hyphen or semicolon separating "alike" and "come in".

Spaztikko 11-15-2012 08:26 PM

It was mainly the lack of comma that was pissing me off, but then I had to make it make sense again.

Please fix this. If this is the only thing UG does for the next ten years, let it be this.

el_paso 11-15-2012 08:52 PM

This is one of the most inconsequential, cretinous threads i've ever read.

JagerSlushy 11-15-2012 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaztikko
Correction below. Just grammar nazi-ing it up a bit.

The forum for discussing techniques. For beginners and experts alike. Come in, sit down and have fun!

left a comma out after "down," brah.

Spaztikko 11-15-2012 11:29 PM

You don't place a comma before "and" in the list as it is the last topic.

Sorry. While it could be used in conversation to indicate a pause, it generally isn't correct and then I'll spaz my shit and make a new thread to get that fixed as well.

spiderjerusalem 11-15-2012 11:54 PM

The problem with the first one is a hanging modifier (which you fixed) (I may not have the correct term there.

The problem with the correction is that it has a rather atrocious sentence fragment.

I applaud your belief in grammar (it helps us, you know, coherently communicate) but you fixed a problem by creating another thereby destroying your credibility and perhaps creating a problem you initially sought to resolve (run-on my ass).

Also, yes, that needs to be fixed.

edit: Slightly more correct:

This is the forum for discussing techniques for beginners and experts alike. Come in, sit down, and have fun!

Damn it, if we're going to be grammar nazis we may as well include the Oxford comma.

whywefight 11-16-2012 12:25 AM

^ As annoying as that post is, he's still totally right.

Spaztikko 11-16-2012 02:14 AM

Honestly, I don't care as long as there is some form of correction.

Hydra150 11-16-2012 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderjerusalem
edit: Slightly more correct:

This is the forum for discussing techniques for beginners and experts alike. Come in, sit down, and have fun!

Your first sentence is too damn long, 'for discussing for beginners' sounds like ass.