UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   NAD: Peavey Ultra content (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1573036)

monwobobbo 11-14-2012 08:09 PM

NAD: Peavey Ultra content

1 Attachment(s)
well after some issues i finally got a Peavey Ultra 212. the amp was at GC but when i went to buy it it had ceased working. they sent it in for repairs (at the #1 local amp tech, john nau) and had it fixed and fully checked out. came back they called me and now i am the proud owner of said amp.

short review

haven't had any real time to play with it but did spend some time at GC testing it out before pulling the trigger (a couple of employees tried it out as well). you want gain well this amp has it. perhaps not as much as say a 6505 but way more than i'll ever have need of. a very loud 60 watts and the sheffield speakers sounded really good. not much in the frills dept jus treverb which sounded good but not really surf music good. it's basically a 2 channel amp (despite saying 3) with a boost for the 3rd channel. seperate eq for the clean (which sounded pretty good but not say fender clean) and the crunch/ultra channel. the crunch channel's eq is active for a pretty wide variety of tones. more on the sound when i really have time to light it up.

overall a decent amp for the hard rock / metal minded player. while it could work for other genres this is what it's designed for and where it excells.

paid $370 for amp which did include the footpedal and the original instruction manuel.
pic isn't mine but it's the same and i knew someone would bitch if no pic.

Dave_Mc 11-14-2012 08:14 PM

very nice :)

it was the forerunner of the xxx, wasn't it?

monwobobbo 11-14-2012 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
very nice :)

it was the forerunner of the xxx, wasn't it?

thanx and yes it was as well as the 5150 from what i understand. been trying to find out when it was first made but no luck so far. was available in the late 90s though.

Offworld92 11-14-2012 08:23 PM

Awesome, I didn't know the Ultra came in combo form.

As far as I know, the Ultra springboarded the XXX and the 5150, they both take and improve on different aspects of the Ultra.

HNAD!

monwobobbo 11-14-2012 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92

As far as I know, the Ultra springboarded the XXX and the 5150, they both take and improve on different aspects of the Ultra.

HNAD!

thanx. they came in both 1 x 12 and 2 x 12 versions. they have open backs unlike the XXX or the 5150. just as freaking heavy though, will need roadie to haul this baby around. :haha:

Ippon 11-14-2012 10:33 PM

Sweet!

:cheers:

311ZOSOVHJH 11-14-2012 10:38 PM

HNAD :cheers:

I didn't know you liked teh br00talz :D

Blktiger0 11-15-2012 06:50 AM

HNAD! :cheers:

I wish I could snag one of these to play with. Such a great amp at such an unreal price. I personally wouldn't ever sell one of these. You could at least use it as a backup for pretty much anything int he rock/metal world.

Zoomyrs1 11-15-2012 08:07 AM

Quote:

HNAD!

Pretty much this.

I've had an Ultra 120 (blue/black face) three channel since the late 90s. Its fell from 6ft up out of a van, had a beer spilled down it ect ect.

The tubes in it finally went like two years ago, the things are tanks. They certainly aren't Mesa Boogies, but they don't sound bad when you tweak them enough, I used to have a notebook full of settings.

Just waiting on new tubes to come in now.

Blktiger0 11-15-2012 08:24 AM

Didn't they make an Ultra Plus as well?

Zoomyrs1 11-15-2012 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0
Didn't they make an Ultra Plus as well?

Yeah there were only subtle differences between the two that I can tell. I remember checking them out and it not being a huge difference over an regular ultra, and considering it took my 17 year old ass a year to get the ultra and a cab I wasn't really interested.

This was all in the late 90s, I haven't really been keeping up with it much after the 5150. That was a pretty bad ass amp.

Offworld92 11-15-2012 02:37 PM

The Ultra is more like a 5150, the Ultra Plus is more like a XXX.

Though the Ultra Plus head trumps all heads. Mother ****in' light up logo. Aww yiss. I seriously want one just for the logo. Green for clean, yellow for crunch and red for ultra. No idea why they stopped that.

Dave_Mc 11-15-2012 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monwobobbo
thanx and yes it was as well as the 5150 from what i understand. been trying to find out when it was first made but no luck so far. was available in the late 90s though.

Quote:

HNAD!

ah ok, thanks guys :)

AtaBorMan 11-15-2012 03:17 PM

NHUltraD, and welcome to the club! Got the 60 watt head. Though I have to disgree, I find the ultra channeln rather different to the crunch.

Blktiger0 11-15-2012 04:14 PM

Quote:
The Ultra is more like a 5150, the Ultra Plus is more like a XXX.

Though the Ultra Plus head trumps all heads. Mother ****in' light up logo. Aww yiss. I seriously want one just for the logo. Green for clean, yellow for crunch and red for ultra. No idea why they stopped that.

WHAT?!!?! :eek:

I did not know that. I must have one. Now.

I was going to say something about the H&K TriAmp being a blue explosion, and the Alex Lifeson sig version being pure purple sexiness with his signature on it, lit up in purple, but the fact that it changes colors dependant on the channel trumps all.

WHY ISN'T THIS STANDARD ON EVERYTHING EVER?

Offworld92 11-15-2012 04:51 PM

Check this ish out.

311ZOSOVHJH 11-15-2012 05:38 PM

:eek:

RATT
:headbang:

oooooooooh.....and a white Splawn full stack to boot :liplick:

Blktiger0 11-15-2012 06:10 PM

"Hey guys, let's make the logo light up different colors for each channel! wouldn't that look badass?!"

"Naawww! Let's put an LED near each channel that makes one smaller light that's way more awesome! (and by way more awesome, I mean subtle and not likely ro be noticed by anyone)"

Seems like someone came to work either high, drunk, hungover, or any combination of the 3.

but, yeah, what 311 said!

I've always liked the faceplates of the XXX as well. The ones that were like diamond plate, but with sexy lady silhouettes instead of little cross-hatches. That's ****ing Rock N Roll.

Tom 1.0 11-15-2012 07:06 PM

Makes me miss CoolStoryAngus :sad:

Dave_Mc 11-15-2012 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311ZOSOVHJH
:eek:

RATT
:headbang:

+1