UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gear Building & Customizing (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   High E Octave Half-step Flat (Noob Question) (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1573044)

MrDo0m 11-14-2012 08:58 PM

High E Octave Half-step Flat

Please forgive me if this has been stickied or posted before, as I'm not too experienced with the nuts and bolts of guitars, but I'm having an issue with my Peavey T-60 electric guitar.

Basically when I play an open high e, it is in tune, but when I play at the 12th fret, it is exactly a half-step flat. Playing at the 13th fret is the octave for the high e. Also, the natural harmonic now occurs at the 13th fret instead of the 12th. Any ideas on how to rectify this problem? I tried to adjust the bridge for the high e to be closer to the fretboard, but it didn't seem to help. After tuning the string back to e after adjusting the bridge, it was still a half-step flat at the 12th fret. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? :shrug:

Any help is greatly appreciated.

earthwormjim 11-14-2012 09:12 PM

Half a step? There's almost no way a bridge could be set up to compensate for that. Regardless, have you maxed out the adjustment on your string saddle? Are your other strings intonated?

Is your neck straight? I don't mean to insult your intelligence, but are you sure you're actually playing the 12th fret? A half step off on intonation is pretty hard to believe.

MrDo0m 11-14-2012 10:14 PM

Thanks for the reply.

The string saddles have screws in them so you can adjust their distances from the bridge pick-up. I did adjust the string saddle for the high E to be as close to the pickup as possible (eventually setting it so close that it popped off and I had to set it back on the string). All my other strings are perfectly in tune at the 12th fret, but yes, at the 12th fret of the high E the note is not an E but an Eb. I'm 100% positive that I'm playing the 12th fret :P

Around frets 9-11 you start to notice the notes increasing by less than half-step increments, and once you hit fret 12, it is an Eb. Fret 13 is the same note as an open high E.

As far as I can tell, the neck appears to be straight, though I'm probably not the best judge. Do you think the truss rod could be warped?

Rocketface2112 11-14-2012 10:47 PM

the 2 screws on the saddles adjust the hight of the individual strings and the other one thats horizontal adjust the intonation. this is likely the problem. if you loosen the screw it makes the distance between the nut and the bridge smaller. so you said you lossened it to make it closer to the bridge pick up? try tightening the saddle to make the distance longer. (i cant remember off hand what way does what to the intonation)

remember when you do it to loosen the strings when you tighten it as it will add extra tention to the string and snap it very easily.

MrDo0m 11-14-2012 11:13 PM

Thanks man! I was loosening it, then tuning the string up as it was detuned from the loosening. But I'll try tightening it (and detuning the string before doing so).

LeviMan_2001 11-14-2012 11:32 PM

Nope. It needs to make the string shorter. Look up how a guitar works. Intonation is very very basic (given the same tension, make the string shorter, the pitch goes up, longer, down).

MrDo0m 11-15-2012 04:22 PM

Well, I already tried loosening the string saddle to make the distance between the saddle and the tuning peg shorter, but the intonation was still off. Hopefully it isn't a much more serious issue.

Explorerbuilder 11-15-2012 05:58 PM

Tune it to a perfect E and then hit a harmonic at the 12, and tell us what that does.

MrDo0m 11-26-2012 06:44 PM

Tuning it to a perfect E and attempting to hit the harmonic at fret 12 produces a dead note, while I can perfectly hit the harmonic at fret 13. But in response to the guy saying intonation is very, very basic, I had already tried loosing the high e string saddle before I had even posted this thread, as loose as it could go, but still had the issue. The guitar is an old Peavey T-60, and it's likely the string saddles may need to be replaced. I appreciate the help and responses!

Explorerbuilder 11-26-2012 08:43 PM

Sounds really strange, but if its still that far off, somehow the scale length is off on that side.

VJVswan 11-26-2012 10:57 PM

I'm not completely sure what's going on there. I doubt intonation could cause such a shift in pitch. I would recommend changing the saddles as you said.