UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Echo vs Delay? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1573074)

kindadumb 11-15-2012 12:12 AM

Echo vs Delay?
 
What's the difference? Could somebody please explain to me? I apologize for my ignorance. :sad:

loki_lulamen 11-15-2012 12:15 AM

nothing.

echo is the layman's term and delay is the more technical and widely used term.

kindadumb 11-15-2012 12:54 AM

Thank you for both your information and your patience.

trashedlostfdup 11-15-2012 12:56 AM

they are one in the same, but when i would speak the term echo on a tape echo (either vintage or full tones). but to some degree it is just like the tubes/valves (not having anything to do with dialects of english) they are the same thing.

loki_lulamen 11-15-2012 01:01 AM

No problem dude. We all started somewhere. :)

trashedlostfdup 11-15-2012 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_lulamen
No problem dude. We all started somewhere. :)


+1 some people seem to forget that. and they are jackasses to some of the new comers.

lemurflames 11-15-2012 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
+1 some people seem to forget that. and they are jackasses to some of the new comers.

It's NEWCOMERS. :mad:

Get it right...

:)

trashedlostfdup 11-15-2012 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemurflames
It's NEWCOMERS. :mad:

Get it right...

:)


not sure why i hit the space bar... lol :cheers:. NEWCOMERS.

ragingkitty 11-15-2012 02:11 AM

Like the others mention.

Echo = delay.

Although some people have a slight differentiation in that a delay replicates the whole sound. Whereas an echo replicates a portion of the sound.

To me, that's a rather pointless differentiation, one can adjust the parameter of a delay to make it into an "echo". Its like say one rose is red, and another is off-red.

gumbilicious 11-15-2012 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingkitty
Like the others mention.

Echo = delay.

Although some people have a slight differentiation in that a delay replicates the whole sound. Whereas an echo replicates a portion of the sound.

To me, that's a rather pointless differentiation, one can adjust the parameter of a delay to make it into an "echo". Its like say one rose is red, and another is off-red.


+1

there is a bunch of win in this thread.

i will expand a bit upon some of the baggage that comes with the terms echo and delay, but i will reinforce there is no clear cut delineation.

echo is more of an archaic term, in the earlier days of recording people quite literally used 'echo chambers' (for reverb and echo purposes). they would record a 'normal' signal and send a copy to a room made to produce echoes that had a speaker and mic (kinda like an effects loop today, but the effect was a room).

around this same time, certain enterprising engineers determined another way of creating 'echo' with muti head tape machines. both the echo chamber and tape machines were very colorful way of making an echo, each with it's own attributes. so when people talk of 'echo' they sometimes associate the baggage of a colorful delay that is not exact in it's reproduction.

by the 70's bucket brigade circuits (analog delays) were used as an advancement upon tape machines/echo chambers and by the 80's digital delay started to become popular. analog machines were also quite colorful and digital delays were (imo) more accurate in their signal production.

really all this stuff is the same thing: people wanted a repeat of the original signal. the technology available to them produce certain tonal consequences.

and cheer up TS, someone shouldn't be giving you shit because you don't know the difference between some vaguely ambiguous effect. hell, most guitarist don't know the history anyway (in fact i probably made some mistakes here ;) )

Talon64 11-15-2012 02:30 AM

Delay repeats the original signal infinitely. Depending on the delay unit it can be a millisecond or infinite without any sign of decay or signal loss (bearing tweaking parameters).

Echo repeats but has significant decay with each successive playback until the signal sounds nothing like the original signal. Much like cell replication in the human body as we age.

So:

-Delay is like a clone of the original sound.

-Echo is like a photocopy of a photocopy of a photocopy....et cetera.

mulefish 11-15-2012 03:00 AM

I like the vibes in this thread. Helpful and polite.

I don't have much to add - but you don't tend to hear people use the term echo that much in music production. Delay is the much more common term. Echo is more often used as a naming tool rather than to signify any real difference in operation.

NakedInTheRain 11-15-2012 04:12 AM

'echo' typically suggests that the repeats are lower fidelity than the original. delay just means it's a pedal that repeats an input signal. all echos are delays, not all delays are echos. if you get what i mean.

ragingkitty 11-15-2012 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedInTheRain
'echo' typically suggests that the repeats are lower fidelity than the original. delay just means it's a pedal that repeats an input signal. all echos are delays, not all delays are echos. if you get what i mean.


When explaining such concepts... a vein diagram goes a long way :)

NakedInTheRain 11-15-2012 04:23 AM

of course the utter irony is that in the real world, an echo is perfectly pristine, albeit quieter.

Eppicurt 11-15-2012 04:47 AM

Who needs echo? It's all about picking dynamics.

But seriously. Yianni hit the nail on the head.

Blktiger0 11-15-2012 07:37 AM

I have to post in here, just because of how polite everyone is being.

Personally, I always assumed there was some "known" difference that I just wasn't aware of, so I just considered them the same, more or less. I've always thought of Echo as kind of a halfway point between Reverb and Delay. Still, they're all basically doing the same thing. You want a trail behind what you're playing that sounds like you're playing in a big empty room (empty room.....empty room...empty room...). I've just always considered it preference when it comes to which you want.

Btw, Gumbi, good info :cheers:

I swear, you teach me something every day. I feel like I should be paying you by now... :haha:

Dick Foster 11-15-2012 10:09 AM

This one makes the most sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon64
Delay repeats the original signal infinitely. Depending on the delay unit it can be a millisecond or infinite without any sign of decay or signal loss (bearing tweaking parameters).

Echo repeats but has significant decay with each successive playback until the signal sounds nothing like the original signal. Much like cell replication in the human body as we age.

So:

-Delay is like a clone of the original sound.

-Echo is like a photocopy of a photocopy of a photocopy....et cetera.


Plus rooms, springs and plates were typically used to make echo FX (reverb) while delay lines tape loops heads etc. were used to make delay or multiple play back FX ala Les Paul and Mary Ford. Today it's pretty much all done in digital.

BTW never apologize for ignorance. Ignorance is excusable because everyone has been ignorant of everything at one time or another and it can't be helped. However there is never a valid excuse for stupidity because stupidity always involves choice. Only a stupid person would criticize someone for being ignorant.

Blktiger0 11-15-2012 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Foster
BTW never apologize for ignorance. Ignorance is excusable because everyone has been ignorant of everything at one time or another and it can't be helped. However there is never a valid excuse for stupidity because stupidity always involves choice. Only a stupid person would criticize someone for being ignorant.


+1

nickdohle 11-15-2012 05:27 PM

There is hope for UG yet! This thread proves it


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:55 PM.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.