UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Dean Dimebag Dixie rebel questions! (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1573094)

LPshin 11-15-2012 05:20 AM

Dean Dimebag Dixie rebel questions!
 
Hey guys,
I just wanted to ask some questions
I want a Dixie rebel guitar from dean
I cannot try it out..... Im not a massive dimebag fan boy but I do enjoy pantera and I love the finish on this guitar. I am not purchasing this guitar thinking it will give me TEH BROOTZ FOR TEH DIMEBAG TONE.. I just want it for the finish and its rareness is New Zealand.

Before you hate on dean, dimebag or pantera, I have read all the hate/flame threads so theres no need to post that here.

Now the dixie rebel, its in mint condition, LFR, dimebucker and some Dimarzio pickup. I can get it for 600NZD which is 490 USD. Is it worth it? Is it really as bad as people say it is?
Mahogany body and neck, set neck, grover tuners made in korea 2007.. It cant be as bad as people say it is right?
What are your opinions
Cheers

LPshin 11-15-2012 05:21 AM

Oh and the confederate flag on the guitar... Is it really racist? I have no idea, would I get smacked by every dark skinned person that sees me playing? I personally think it looks really cool, the finish doesnt bring up any racist connotations whatsoever?

NakedInTheRain 11-15-2012 05:43 AM

letting you know, you will be typecast as that insufferable teenage metalhead douchebag, just for playing that guitar.

doesn't even matter about the confederate flag.

Eppicurt 11-15-2012 05:46 AM

Reasons why I wouldn't buy it:

1) The neck is just piss. Seriously. What were they thinking?

2) Dimebuckers sound terrible, unless you like Dimebag's tone.

3) The shape is horrendously obstructive and obtuse.

4) LFR's scare me.

5) Cheesy finish.

LPshin 11-15-2012 06:01 AM

What about a jackson RR5 for the same price?

Eppicurt 11-15-2012 06:02 AM

Yes.

LPshin 11-15-2012 06:15 AM

I have a jackson soloist sl3, I love it, A lovely randy rhoads would go well i think.. The white and gold seems classy to me... I guess I will put my Dimebag guitar desire away :)

Blktiger0 11-15-2012 07:30 AM

This is why the Confederate Flag is considered racist:

It was a symbol of the South/Confederate States during the Civil War here in the USA. While there were other smaller reasons behind this war, the main driving force was that the North/Union wanted to abolish slavery, and the South/Confederates wanted to keep their slaves, most of which were African-American, none of which were Caucasian/White. Nowadays, some people display it as a symbol of their Southern Pride, but it's also used by certain Racist communities as a symbol of White Supremacy. Now, unfortunately, when something gets a bad image like that, it tends to stick more than anything else it stood for. For example, most people see the Swastika and think of Adolf Hitler and Nazi's, even though it was always a symbol of Jesus and the Christian community before that, especially during the Romantic/Gothic times. Nobody remembers that, though, due to the heavy Negative connotations that are tied to that symbol due to the Nazi party.

However, the Confederate Flag isn't nearly as widely known as rascist as the Swastika or white hoods/robes of the KKK. Most people that see it will realize it's a Dimebag Darrel thing, or might even associate it with Zakk Wylde's Confederate Flag Les Paul. I personally would stil avoid it, but I don't think it would cause too much of a scene.

However, I've never been a fan of those guitars. They are unnecessarily awkward and heavy, the neck isn't very desirable, and the Dimebucker is one of my least favorite Seymour Duncans that I've tried. On top of that, the LFR seemed decent, but it's the "Licensed" ones that tend to be the sketchy ones. You would be better off getting something else.

The Jackson RR5 would be a much better choice. I'm not a fan of that shape personally, but I won't dare deny how well-made those guitars are and how well they play.

Wisthekiller 11-15-2012 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0
This is why the Confederate Flag is considered racist:

It was a symbol of the South/Confederate States during the Civil War here in the USA. While there were other smaller reasons behind this war, the main driving force was that the North/Union wanted to abolish slavery, and the South/Confederates wanted to keep their slaves, most of which were African-American, none of which were Caucasian/White. Nowadays, some people display it as a symbol of their Southern Pride, but it's also used by certain Racist communities as a symbol of White Supremacy. Now, unfortunately, when something gets a bad image like that, it tends to stick more than anything else it stood for. For example, most people see the Swastika and think of Adolf Hitler and Nazi's, even though it was always a symbol of Jesus and the Christian community before that, especially during the Romantic/Gothic times. Nobody remembers that, though, due to the heavy Negative connotations that are tied to that symbol due to the Nazi party.

However, the Confederate Flag isn't nearly as widely known as rascist as the Swastika or white hoods/robes of the KKK. Most people that see it will realize it's a Dimebag Darrel thing, or might even associate it with Zakk Wylde's Confederate Flag Les Paul. I personally would stil avoid it, but I don't think it would cause too much of a scene.

However, I've never been a fan of those guitars. They are unnecessarily awkward and heavy, the neck isn't very desirable, and the Dimebucker is one of my least favorite Seymour Duncans that I've tried. On top of that, the LFR seemed decent, but it's the "Licensed" ones that tend to be the sketchy ones. You would be better off getting something else.

The Jackson RR5 would be a much better choice. I'm not a fan of that shape personally, but I won't dare deny how well-made those guitars are and how well they play.


The swastika was never really a Christian symbol, and the civil war was over what rights the states had, not over slavery.


As for the guitar, it's not that bad at all. Most people give Deans negative reviews because some of them are pieces of shit. Some can be good. It's really to the individual guitar. Some will have finishes that peel off like stickers, others will be great for years.

Blktiger0 11-15-2012 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisthekiller
The swastika was never really a Christian symbol, and the civil war was over what rights the states had, not over slavery.


As for the guitar, it's not that bad at all. Most people give Deans negative reviews because some of them are pieces of shit. Some can be good. It's really to the individual guitar. Some will have finishes that peel off like stickers, others will be great for years.


During Medieval times, it was used in the Christian religion as a symbol of Christ rising from the dead. It's still widely used in Hinduism, IIRC. I'm pretty sure the breakdown of the word is an exact translation of "to act good" or something similar. I can't remember. Back when I was a Christian, I bought a necklace for cheap online that was a cross, got it, then noticed it had swastikas carved into it. Wondering why in the hell that was the case, I looked it up :haha:

The Civil war had much to do with Slavery as well. IIRC, it was the abolishing of Slavery that cause the Southern States to be pissed off about their rights as states. I'm no history major, though. To the general public, though (who the TS would have to worry about taking the flag as a racist symbol) the war is usually considered to be largely about Slavery.

sl1pk0t001 11-15-2012 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0
This is why the Confederate Flag is considered racist:

It was a symbol of the South/Confederate States during the Civil War here in the USA. While there were other smaller reasons behind this war, the main driving force was that the North/Union wanted to abolish slavery, and the South/Confederates wanted to keep their slaves, most of which were African-American, none of which were Caucasian/White. Nowadays, some people display it as a symbol of their Southern Pride, but it's also used by certain Racist communities as a symbol of White Supremacy. Now, unfortunately, when something gets a bad image like that, it tends to stick more than anything else it stood for. For example, most people see the Swastika and think of Adolf Hitler and Nazi's, even though it was always a symbol of Jesus and the Christian community before that, especially during the Romantic/Gothic times. Nobody remembers that, though, due to the heavy Negative connotations that are tied to that symbol due to the Nazi party.

However, the Confederate Flag isn't nearly as widely known as rascist as the Swastika or white hoods/robes of the KKK. Most people that see it will realize it's a Dimebag Darrel thing, or might even associate it with Zakk Wylde's Confederate Flag Les Paul. I personally would stil avoid it, but I don't think it would cause too much of a scene.

However, I've never been a fan of those guitars. They are unnecessarily awkward and heavy, the neck isn't very desirable, and the Dimebucker is one of my least favorite Seymour Duncans that I've tried. On top of that, the LFR seemed decent, but it's the "Licensed" ones that tend to be the sketchy ones. You would be better off getting something else.

The Jackson RR5 would be a much better choice. I'm not a fan of that shape personally, but I won't dare deny how well-made those guitars are and how well they play.


The Swastika is originally a Buddhist symbol signifying auspiciousness and good fortune nothing to do with Christianity and was around before Christianity...

jetwash69 11-15-2012 08:35 AM

Lots of debatable stuff about the Confederate Flag, and the Civil War, but no denying that the KKK uses it as one of their symbols. You have the right to be associated with the KKK or lead some people to believe you are sympathetic to them. It's your choice and you're the one who would have to deal with any consequences.

LPshin 11-15-2012 08:53 AM

Well, Id rather avoid the slight racism and the seemly negative views on Dimebags guitar, I decided I will get the RR5, but this idiot kept it in good condition, but took out the stock pups and replaced it with some no brand passives, and disconnected the tone knob. I can reconnect the tone pot easy enough, but what pick ups do you guys suggests for the RR5? Maple neck and alder body.. I like to play metal, and would like pickups that can pick up pinch harmonics easy but I also look for versatility.

Blktiger0 11-15-2012 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl1pk0t001
The Swastika is originally a Buddhist symbol signifying auspiciousness and good fortune nothing to do with Christianity and was around before Christianity...


I wouldn't say that the Buddists Originated it. It's widely used in many religions native to India. I wasn't claiming that Christianity started it, either. I was giving an example of how it has been used in the past as a symbol of things mostt people would consider to have a good connotation, but Hitler and the Nazi's ruined that, just like the KKK ruined the Confederate Flag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPshin
Well, Id rather avoid the slight racism and the seemly negative views on Dimebags guitar, I decided I will get the RR5, but this idiot kept it in good condition, but took out the stock pups and replaced it with some no brand passives, and disconnected the tone knob. I can reconnect the tone pot easy enough, but what pick ups do you guys suggests for the RR5? Maple neck and alder body.. I like to play metal, and would like pickups that can pick up pinch harmonics easy but I also look for versatility.


What's your budget for these? If you can afford it, Bare Knuckles make some great pickups, but if you want something more affordable, there are plenty of other great companies.

Wisthekiller 11-15-2012 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPshin
Well, Id rather avoid the slight racism and the seemly negative views on Dimebags guitar, I decided I will get the RR5, but this idiot kept it in good condition, but took out the stock pups and replaced it with some no brand passives, and disconnected the tone knob. I can reconnect the tone pot easy enough, but what pick ups do you guys suggests for the RR5? Maple neck and alder body.. I like to play metal, and would like pickups that can pick up pinch harmonics easy but I also look for versatility.


My favorite combos are Seymour Duncan JB/JN or DiMarzio SD/PAF36.

Both are versatile, neither has any problem with pinch harmonics and metal.

nickdohle 11-15-2012 05:23 PM

I am from the southern states of AMERICA! And yea, its kind of racist. It is a bad ass flag. Has a lot of symbolism and background to it. But its not all good

Though the war was about States Rights, many people consider it to be about Slavery. Which of course was a big issue. And one of the biggest reasons the states seceded from the U.S. when Lincoln (A republican, whom most believed slavery was immoral) was elected. They feared he would make the federal government to big.

Though in my experience, there are few people who hold the Flag as a racist symbol. Mostly African Americans. Which is completely understandable. I would avoid. I love the flag. I love the south. Hell, I am related to Robert E. Lee. But, I am not racist, and would not promote the flag on a guitar.


And yea, I always heard the swastika was a Buddhist thing. But never looked into it

Blktiger0 11-15-2012 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisthekiller
My favorite combos are Seymour Duncan JB/JN or DiMarzio SD/PAF36.

Both are versatile, neither has any problem with pinch harmonics and metal.


You can never go wrong with a JB. I swear that pickup is good at goddamn everything. :haha:

In the Dimarzio sect, though, I would look for a Gravity Storm or AT-1 for the bridge and a PAF Joe or LiquiFire in the Neck.

I've personally always found the EMG 81/85 combo to excel at Pinch Harmonics, but I've never been a huge fan of Active pickups.

If you're in the States, you could check out BG Pickups. They're hand-wound and I know a few guys on here love theirs. The Hellabucker seems to be the fan favorite there.

If you do want to put a little extra money into the pups, Bare Knuckle Nailbombs are another all around great pickup.

LPshin 11-15-2012 06:32 PM

I already have a JB in my soloist.. Im located in NZ so bareknuckles are kinda hard to get here...Not keen on emgs because my viper has emg and emgs make all guitars sound the same lol... what about Evos?

PeripheryDjent 11-18-2012 09:09 PM

dimefag darrell got what he deserved

ihartfood 11-19-2012 12:10 AM

^ Yes, he got recognition, memories, a great legacy, and a cult following of fans. what every good or even revolutionary guitarist deserves when he passes.
someone ban this guy, he's spamming several threads with that statement.
That flag...Sigh. Yes, it has some rascist connotations and I would avoid it. here in Texas you're either respected by white folks for "showing southern pride" or people see you as a ignorant ****er who wants attention. often both.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:38 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.