UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   UG's Regrets from the Past? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1573102)

Blktiger0 11-15-2012 08:20 AM

UG's Regrets from the Past?

I was just sitting here after recommending the Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 for the 50th time, and I was thinking about how I wish they would have been around when I was in high school and bought my Marshall MG for about what they go for used. Then I got to thinking, I wonder what purchases other UG'ers have regretted?

So let's hear it, guys! What are some purchases that you ended up regretting a good bit later?

For me, the MG30DFX is my big regret. I had the chance to buy a Crate V18 about a month before I bought this, but my Mom urged me to wait until later when I had more money, as I bought my Les Paul on that same day. Stupidly, I ended up listening to her after she said she would meet me half-way on whatever I bought if I waited. I came back, and the shop had sold the V18 and had no more in stock, as they weren't being made anymore. Then, I tried a bunch of amps, including a Vox Valvetronix, Roland Cube, Line 6 Spider, and my Marshall MG, and ended up buying the MG for reasons that are beyond my comprehension, not to mention she only paid for about 1/3 to 1/4 of it, instead of the 1/2 I was promised.

My only other regret is the JCA24S that I currently have. After some advice on here, I bought it without trying it with my amp head, beleiving that it would sound similar to a V30-loaded cab, since that's what Soldano uses for his amps. Not the case. I don't really like it's speakers, it's somewhat odd shape (it's awkwardly tall), and the Randall cab I was looking at wouldn't have sounded much better, but it had the Metal Grille I was looking for, because we all know that if you can't bounce a bottle of Jack Daniels off of the front of your cab, then it's useless (Gregs) :haha: Really, though, I wish I just would have pulled the trigger on something a little bit more expensive that came with nicer speakers.

What about you guys?

FireFromTheVoid 11-15-2012 08:23 AM

My line 6 spider, I was actually thinking of gettinga peavey vypyr instead but was like "It has plastic fangs, so it must be a stupid choice."

v I also bought one of those.
:facepalm: I was dumb before UG.

AndyGray 11-15-2012 08:36 AM

For me it has to be the Digitech Metal Master... I wouldn't even use it for a door stop now.

I K0nijn I 11-15-2012 08:43 AM

A Boss MT-2, A copy of a Boss MT-2 (yes, I actually once bought a copy of the worst distortion pedal I've ever heard), an EHX Momentary Line Selector because I never use it and then some bass gear I bought when I briefly wanted to play bass, which I sold with some loss only months later. :P

red.guitar 11-15-2012 08:50 AM

For me, it was buying a fender fm halfstack like 6 years ago. I was using a marshall mg250, and didn't have a clue what a tube amp was. So I decided to "upgrade" to the FM :shrug:

At the time I thought owning a halfstack was bada$s. But it sounded like $hit.

My ears are so glad to own a tube amp now :haha:

EDIT: I should also mention the GNX3000. I bought this the same time as the fender.

God, this thread is bringing back nighmares

KailM 11-15-2012 08:56 AM

For, me, it was buying an MG 100 HFX halfstack. Even my Valvestate V65R sounded better (but was not loud enough to be heard over a drummer, hence the "halfstack" purchase). It's not that I hated the sound of my MG at the time, it's just that I wasted so much time on bad tone, when I could have easily afforded a used 5150, Valveking, etc.

With my current rig, I just can't wait to get home and pick up my guitar. It's not so much the fact that I want to play, it's that I just can't wait to hear my rig. This has made me a much better guitar player. I wasn't as passionate about playing until I got a decent rig -- and I know I can still upgrade from here. It took me 14 years of playing to finally reach this epiphany.

The other regret I have, which is kind of along the same note -- is that early on in my playing career I spent a great deal of money on effects pedals. It's not that effects pedals are bad, it's that many of them were just novelties that kept me from focusing on my playing. My effects board now is very minimalistic comparatively; most of them focus on simply enhancing my tone.

zl1288 11-15-2012 09:26 AM

I've made some stupid gear purchases ("upgrading" to a FM212 from a MG, buying a MG...), but I don't really regret any of them.:shrug: Playing with medicore probably helped me grow as a player. I remember thinking that my tone sucked because I was a bad player, and that really pushed me to practice and improve. Now that I have decent gear, I probably spend more time tweaking my tone than practicing. :facepalm:

It's not like I would buy this stuff again, or recommend it to anyone else, but I think it helped me learn the limitations of certain gear and appreciate what I have now.

steven seagull 11-15-2012 09:28 AM

I lost a Vox AC30 once...

red.guitar 11-15-2012 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
I lost a Vox AC30 once...

Lost??

Care to elaborate?

loki_lulamen 11-15-2012 09:45 AM

not quite a purchase regret but i do regret running an MT-2 into a JCM800 for a while.

GaryBillington 11-15-2012 09:57 AM

Personally I don't regret buying the MG I had several years ago. They aren't exactly the classic Marshall sound, but there are some good sounds in there for people who are prepared to dial them in properly. It was a good amp for what I needed & it served me well for a few years until I upgraded. Sold it to a mate & he's still happy with it today - still working as a reliable practice amp even though it's over 15 years old.

The purchase I've always regretted was my old Fender MIA Stratocaster. Spent a load of money on it thinking I'd be getting something awesome, whereas I actually found it to be extremely bland and no better than average at everything. It just gathered a load of dust while I stuck with my trusty Telecaster & Les Paul, eventually sold it & was glad to see the back of it.

Ian_the_fox 11-15-2012 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0
My only other regret is the JCA24S that I currently have. After some advice on here, I bought it without trying it with my amp head, beleiving that it would sound similar to a V30-loaded cab, since that's what Soldano uses for his amps.
Soldano cabs are actually loaded with Eminence Legends, not V30's, which sound totally different from one another. I'm not sure what the JCA Eminences are based on, but they sound nothing like the V30's or Legend I've owned.

As far as my biggest regret, Digitech GNX3. My dad and I both got it for Christmas to share, and we both tried to like it for a while but eventually realized it was a massive piece of crap.

All the distortion sounds shitty and digital no matter what you do (think of it as glorified Line 6 Spider distortion), the EQ always has this horrendous muddy quality that you can't get rid of, it's loaded with completely useless presets and effects that aren't interesting to anyone else older than 12, and the built in "song studio" is the most pathetic and useless feature ever created.

Every once and a while I'll hook it up and try again with it to get a good sound and it just doesn't work. I've even tried hooking it into the return of my Jet City for a tube power section. Still sounds like shit.

There's also my Krank 1x12 cabinet I regret doing.. I wanted something small that I could stick in a closet to record with and mic up, but for the longest time it made all of my recordings sound honky and shitty. I should've listened to the advice of the guys who were telling me to save for a 2x12.

Seriously, once I got my Whitebox 2x12 with V30's my recordings improved by far. Now all I use my 1x12 for is to hide various sex toys and fetish items from my parents. (don't ask :haha: )

ohhell 11-15-2012 10:27 AM

my marshall mg100hdfx is ok but that MG 100 HFX suck a$$

mine is a Marshall JVM410H with 1960AV, and 1960BV just about $5500.00
mods 1500.00 I love the amp and I just have two regret
1. I told my wife how mush it was
2. I did not get a bigger bed (Marshall are bed hugs)

diskothek 11-15-2012 10:46 AM

Definitely my old MG250DFX. Got it 8-9 years ago in high school. Finally got rid of it earlier this year.

lbj273 11-15-2012 10:51 AM

I regret wasting my time reading this thread

steven seagull 11-15-2012 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldonpardy
Lost??

Care to elaborate?

It was playing up and someone who worked for my dad offered to fix it - but my dad ended up sacking him before I got round to getting it back :p:

Cathbard 11-15-2012 12:49 PM

Not a godamn thing. It's called research, guys.

MatrixClaw 11-15-2012 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Not a godamn thing. It's called research, guys.

+1 to this.

Arby911 11-15-2012 01:07 PM

My wife bought me my MG50DFX when I mentioned that I wanted to take up guitar again and although I don't use it for guitar anymore I use the mp3 in and it makes a pretty good backing tracks/monitor amp.

Biggest regret is suggesting Spider amps for 2 of my friends because they wanted flexibility and I wasn't yet familiar with the Vypyr series, but neither of them gigs and they both seem happy with what they have, although they love my various tube amps when they come over to play.

So really, nothing serious.

tubetime86 11-15-2012 01:17 PM

I regret joining this site and taking an interest in guitar gear. :haha: