UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Help me with my tube amp! (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1573184)

BDeister86 11-15-2012 06:50 PM

Help me with my tube amp!

Okay so my amp shut off mid show, got home, replaced the fuse, turned it on, and sparks started flying so I immediately shut it off. So then I replaced the tube that was sparking, and now my amp powers on, but the standby switch doesn't light up, and when I flip the standby switch, it doesn't play or make any noise at all. My amp has indicator lights on the back that tells me when a tube is bad and none of them are lit. Anyone know what my problem is?

Dick Foster 11-15-2012 06:57 PM

Probably took out a supply if not another fuse somewhere.
Don't know the amp or have a schematic i.e. not enough info for anyone to go on. All you've said is that it's a tube amp. Not even which tube it was that arced.
Are the tube filiaments lighting up? Sometimes pilot lights and tube filaments use a common supply voltage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDeister86
Okay so my amp shut off mid show, got home, replaced the fuse, turned it on, and sparks started flying so I immediately shut it off. So then I replaced the tube that was sparking, and now my amp powers on, but the standby switch doesn't light up, and when I flip the standby switch, it doesn't play or make any noise at all. My amp has indicator lights on the back that tells me when a tube is bad and none of them are lit. Anyone know what my problem is?

BDeister86 11-15-2012 07:05 PM

It's a bugera 6262 infinium. Had it about 2 months. Another classic crappy bugera case. The tubes are lighting up. And it was a stock 6L6GC tube that went bad. I shouldn't say blew because it didn't break the glass, but it lit up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Foster
Probably took out a supply if not another fuse somewhere.
Don't know the amp or have a schematic i.e. not enough info for anyone to go on. All you've said is that it's a tube amp. Not even which tube it was that arced.
Are the tube filiaments lighting up? Sometimes pilot lights and tube filaments use a common supply voltage.

R45VT 11-15-2012 09:44 PM

There are fuses on the inside if the amp as well...

311ZOSOVHJH 11-16-2012 12:39 AM

^ +1

There are probably at least 3 fuses in there if not more.

I thought Bugera fixed all of their issues? Moreover, isn't the 'Infinium' technology supposed to alleviate these kinds of things?

TS - don't mess with it. Get it replaced under warranty. If it is still new get your money back.

nickdohle 11-16-2012 12:45 AM

Man. That blows dude. Was it at least cool sparks? Or like, shitty little sparks?

But yea, hit the warranty up on that or get your money back. Me personally, I would get my money back and run

Volcz 11-16-2012 01:32 AM

Uh-oh..

ihartfood 11-16-2012 01:36 AM

You've had it two months, get it replaced. don't do anything else to else you may void it.

SPARKS? BUGERA? Hmm...

Offworld92 11-16-2012 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311ZOSOVHJH
I thought Bugera fixed all of their issues? Moreover, isn't the 'Infinium' technology supposed to alleviate these kinds of things?

Come on now 311, you know better than that! :haha:

R45VT 11-16-2012 02:39 AM

If it sparked that badly it could have hurt the bias circuit or power tube resistors. If you can get it exchanged for another one I would try to do that instead. You don't want a damaged resistor hiding for a while and then popping its ugly head during a show.

tubetime86 11-16-2012 08:49 AM

This is totally normal. Bugera has fixed their reliability issues. I mean what brand of amps don't shoot sparks out the back from time to time?

Dick Foster 11-16-2012 11:58 AM

If it's only two months old don't mess with it, just take it back to were you got it from and leave the problem with them. That's what a product warranty is for.

Quote:
It's a bugera 6262 infinium. Had it about 2 months. Another classic crappy bugera case. The tubes are lighting up. And it was a stock 6L6GC tube that went bad. I shouldn't say blew because it didn't break the glass, but it lit up.

BDeister86 11-17-2012 04:13 AM

Yea about that... I kinda messed up and bought it off amazon, cause it was $100 cheaper. But their warranty only works if you buy it from a licensed Bugera dealer. I wish I could return it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Foster
If it's only two months old don't mess with it, just take it back to were you got it from and leave the problem with them. That's what a product warranty is for.

chatterbox272 11-17-2012 04:35 AM

Quote:
Yea about that... I kinda messed up and bought it off amazon, cause it was $100 cheaper. But their warranty only works if you buy it from a licensed Bugera dealer. I wish I could return it.

Unless consumer rights are different where you are (I'm in australia so I don't know) then if it was brought new and it hasn't run for an acceptable amount of time (2 months is not acceptable) then you are entitled to warranty. Whether you bought it from Amazon or a music store should have no impact on that.

kyle62 11-17-2012 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311ZOSOVHJH

TS - don't mess with it. Get it replaced under warranty. If it is still new get your money back.
Good advice.

Legally, you're entitled to a warranty regardless of where you bought it*. Contact Bugera.

*In most civilised countries, UK, USA, Australia, Canada etc. If you live in Durkaddurkastan or whatever, you might be out of luck.

Cathbard 11-17-2012 02:48 PM

Don't forget to put the old tubes back in before you return it. Keep the new ones for yourself.