UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tabs & Chords (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Progressive/Djent GP5 (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1573206)

frankibo 11-15-2012 09:19 PM

Progressive/Djent GP5
 
2 Attachment(s)
I recently quit the course I was on because I had no free time and it was depressing me. With my new found free time I've started writing again and produced these two short pieces. They're the first two pieces that I've written with my new 7 string that I actually like.
They're in a progressive/djent vain, influenced by TesseracT and Periphery and incorporating lots of polymetrics. I've approached the technical side of the writing in a more simple way ensuring that I can actually play everything I write. Whilst the polymetrics are complex the actual riffing isn't.
C4C as always.

I've recorded them both, albeit really shoddily. But practice makes perfect, I'll get there eventually.
http://soundcloud.com/frank_young/nocturnal
http://soundcloud.com/frank_young/paarthurnax

Also recorded a playthrough of Nocturnal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmMx...eature=youtu.be
and Paarthurnax.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Zuc...eature=youtu.be

kylendm 11-17-2012 02:24 PM

Listened to the first one. It's got a cool atmosphere, it's dark but the actual rhythm guitars could be more interesting. I found it pretty boring to be honest. Try and make it groove or something.

The second one is a pretty blatant ripoff of Ragnarok.

frankibo 11-18-2012 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylendm
The second one is a pretty blatant ripoff of Ragnarok.


Blatant? It's a riff with a synth arpeggio over the top. I'm not the first person to do that and I won't be the last.
The main riff of Ragnarok is in patterns of three whilst the synth repeats every 4 bars. The snare drum also follows the 3 pattern.
My riff has almost no pattern, despite a recurring use of 5, and it is also syncopated all over the place. The snare follows a clear 4/4 pattern whilst the synth is in 15/4 and doesn't actually repeat on the same beat once.
It doesn't have a similar pattern note wise and generally has a completely different feel and groove anyway. Actually listen to them one after the other and tell me they sound at all similar.
Whilst I admit the influence should be clear to see I take offence to you claiming it's a ripoff because musically it isn't a rip off at all. The only thing you could say is that it's a riff in a low tuning with a quarter note synth arpeggio over the top, if that constitutes a ripoff then it's going to be hard to call anything an original piece.

kylendm 11-18-2012 12:10 PM

I brought people in the room and they told me the same, that it sounds like Ragnarok. Sorry, I was a little harsh saying that but I get that kind of feedback all the time so I didn't mean to insult you. But if that lead over top was a bit different I wouldn't have said anything. I'd say just change it up a little bit because if you released that as some kind of song I know there will be people saying exactly what I said.

Now with that said I think you have some awesome ideas as far as atmosphere goes and I think you should keep that up for sure!

frankibo 11-18-2012 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylendm
I brought people in the room and they told me the same, that it sounds like Ragnarok. Sorry, I was a little harsh saying that but I get that kind of feedback all the time so I didn't mean to insult you. But if that lead over top was a bit different I wouldn't have said anything. I'd say just change it up a little bit because if you released that as some kind of song I know there will be people saying exactly what I said.

Now with that said I think you have some awesome ideas as far as atmosphere goes and I think you should keep that up for sure!


I get what you're saying but it's unfair to say that just because a there's a quarter note synth arpeggio over the top that is sounds like a blatant rip off. That's an insult to the original song and to my song, there's much more too it than that one part. If I wrote a dance song with that same arpeggio would it also sound like Ragnarok? The synth part would still remind you of it but of course it's not a blatant rip off.

BloodReverence 11-18-2012 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankibo
Disconcertingly slow tempo, made me feel really uneasy, almost angry.


When I saw you post this I couldn't help but think of how ironic it is that I feel the same way about all your djent pieces. It's just too slow, needs more energy man.

amonamarthmetal 11-18-2012 05:43 PM

I don't understand how you can't call my trolled djent song djent. Yet you call this djent.
:confused:

EpiExplorer 11-18-2012 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amonamarthmetal
I don't understand how you can't call my trolled djent song djent. Yet you call this djent.
:confused:


Cuz duh, he ripped off periphery.

frankibo 11-18-2012 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodReverence
When I saw you post this I couldn't help but think of how ironic it is that I feel the same way about all your djent pieces. It's just too slow, needs more energy man.


Fair enough, maybe it is slightly lethargic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amonamarthmetal
I don't understand how you can't call my trolled djent song djent. Yet you call this djent.
:confused:


If I remember correctly your song had almost not notable polymeters (guitars or drums), it was just a syncopated breakdown with a clean part. The nuance of the genre is lost on you but that's fair enough, I guess it's just not your thing. I feel the same way about lots of genres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpiExplorer
Cuz duh, he ripped off periphery.


Influenced and ripped off are not the same thing.

This forum isn't the place it used to be.

EpiExplorer 11-18-2012 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankibo
If I remember correctly your song had almost not notable polymeters, it was just a syncoptaed breakdown with a clean part.



Influenced and ripped off are not the same thing.

This forum isn't the place it used to be.



I was joking, and I haven't been here long enough to comment on that claim.

amonamarthmetal 11-18-2012 06:56 PM

Polymeter = Djent


Ok.

Erra93 11-18-2012 07:55 PM

The second song reminds me of Ragnarok, but it's far from a rip off and also, great job!

frankibo 11-18-2012 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amonamarthmetal
Polymeter = Djent
Ok.


Not at all, don't take my words out of context. I'm pretty sure I said in my critique of your song what defines djent and for me polymeters are a big part of it. Obviously you have to add in all the other elements too but it's just not the same without polymeters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erra93
The second song reminds me of Ragnarok, but it's far from a rip off and also, great job!


Thanks, yeah I think the influence maybe shows through too strongly...


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:21 PM.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.