UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Recordings (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   How to record Electric guitars? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1573215)

Dave2655 11-15-2012 10:23 PM

How to record Electric guitars?

Hey everyone, I just wanted to ask. How do you record Electric guitars? I'm starting a band with some friends and I want to record us. so I know you need a recording program but, like how do you put the electric guitar into recording? Do you like put a pic right by the amp or do you have to do something special?

jeleopard 11-15-2012 10:50 PM

There's really 3 ways you can do it.

1: Buy a mic, connect the mic to an audio interface/sound card, interface/card is plugged into computer, your DAW (recording program) should pick up the mic and record from there.

2: Invest in a DSP (Digital Signal Processor) (such as Eleven Rack, Axe FX, Line 6 POD, etc.), plug into computer, DAW should pick up the DSP and record from there.

3: Buy an interface/sound card with a 1/4" input (or buy a 1/4" to 1/8" converter) and plug guitar straight into computer and use amp sims (Ampeg, POD Farm, etc.) through your DAW.

That's pretty much it. Do note that is a VERY simplified list.

T00DEEPBLUE 11-15-2012 10:52 PM

There are many different ways of doing it.

If you have an amp, you mic up

DSP's and VST's using your audio sequencer.

Both going into your interface.

oneblackened 11-15-2012 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeleopard

1: Buy a mic, connect the mic to an audio interface/sound card, interface/card is plugged into computer, your DAW (recording program) should pick up the mic and record from there.

2: Invest in a DSP (Digital Signal Processor) (such as Eleven Rack, Axe FX, Line 6 POD, etc.), plug into computer, DAW should pick up the DSP and record from there.

3: Buy an interface/sound card with a 1/4" input and plug guitar straight into computer and use amp sims (Amplitube, POD Farm, etc.) through your DAW.

FTFY. 1/4"-1/8" adapters are total fail.

Danjo's Guitar 11-16-2012 12:57 AM

You throw money at the guitar and the computer and the sound finds its way into a wav file, which you can convert on i-tunes. At least thats what worked for me.

GaryBillington 11-16-2012 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeleopard

3: Buy an interface/sound card with a 1/4" input (or buy a 1/4" to 1/8" converter) and plug guitar straight into computer and use amp sims (Ampeg, POD Farm, etc.) through your DAW.

Also:
4: Buy a multitracker and use that as a standalone DAW (This isn't just the recording programme, it merely refers to an Audio Workstation that is Digital - originally coined to separate digital multitrackers from analogue multitrackers, nowadays it includes PC based solutions as well).

Just go and read the Interfaces sticky, it will tell you all of your options.

strangedogs 11-19-2012 12:32 AM

do yourself a favor - buy a Sapphire 6 interface - it'll amaze you.