UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singing & Vocals (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Good bass singers? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1573255)

Usernames sucks 11-16-2012 06:07 AM

Good bass singers?

Hi, im a baritone (i can sing from D-d1) singer, but all my favorite singers are tenors. What are some famous/good bass singers, that are not in the generes: Contry, classical, and blues? Thanks, i need some inspiration. (Im most intrested in rock/metal)

King Donkey 11-16-2012 06:27 AM

Does Jim Morrison count for you?

Jacques-Henri 11-16-2012 08:31 AM

Russell Allen (Symphony X) sings in a pretty low register... James Hetfield as well. Volbeat's singer also has a pretty deep voice... Mastodon, kinda... Savatage, but they kinda suck...

Fishybones 11-16-2012 08:46 AM

Peter Steele was a baritone (if I'm not wrong), and he used to go pretty low.

Xeron Brigs 11-16-2012 08:54 AM

You might try Juha-Pekka Leppäluoto from Charon. He's got quite a good voice.

fudger 11-16-2012 08:55 AM

Not in the genres that you asked but the singer from the national has very bassy vocals. Good indie rock in my option though.

Sethis 11-16-2012 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usernames sucks
Hi, im a baritone (i can sing from D-d1)

Wait...you mean from D1 up to which note? You probably mean D2 anyway, there's absolutely no chance you can hit a D1.

You might want to try Nevermore. Warrel Dane has a really low voice. Bass like. Ville Valo of HIM can get pretty low as well but his voice has a lighter texture than Dane's.
Axl Rose and David Coverdale if you prefer singing high. Cornell of Soundgarden, David Grohl of Foo Fighters, Akerfeldt from Opeth...

Baritones can become jack of all trades with some training because they're right in the middle. There are more baritone singers than you think that it's pointless to keep offering examples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques-Henri
Russell Allen (Symphony X) sings in a pretty low register...

Not really...He's probably a low tenor or high baritone. The guy definitely nails the high notes.

BloodReverence 11-23-2012 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethis
Wait...you mean from D1 up to which note? You probably mean D2 anyway, there's absolutely no chance you can hit a D1.

You might want to try Nevermore. Warrel Dane has a really low voice. Bass like. Ville Valo of HIM can get pretty low as well but his voice has a lighter texture than Dane's.
Axl Rose and David Coverdale if you prefer singing high. Cornell of Soundgarden, David Grohl of Foo Fighters, Akerfeldt from Opeth...

Baritones can become jack of all trades with some training because they're right in the middle. There are more baritone singers than you think that it's pointless to keep offering examples.

Not really...He's probably a low tenor or high baritone. The guy definitely nails the high notes.

I feel like you're pulling singers out of your head with no real knowledge of what range they usually sing in....

Dane is a tenor, he often sings in a high baritone range though. Valle of HIM is a good person for a baritone to sing with, same with Akerfeldt, but really? Axl? Axl is quite obviously a tenor. For a baritone to try to sing like him is just rediculous.

Try singing along with bands like Trivium, Across the Sun, Finger Eleven, Three Days Grace, Twelve Foot Ninja, Godsmack, HIM, System of a Down, Stone Sour, Static X, Soil, Seether, Motograter, Five Finger Death Punch, Older Disturbed, Dark New Day, Staind, Basshunter, etc.

Those guys are more in the range you're looking for. All bass/baritone singers who stay within an average baritone range for most of their songs.

Sethis 11-26-2012 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodReverence
Dane is a tenor, he often sings in a high baritone range though.

Are we talking about the same person? Warrel Dane? Dude that guy has one of the deepest singing and speaking voices I've ever heard. Sounds like Gandalf or something. Check this interview:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodReverence
Axl? Axl is quite obviously a tenor. For a baritone to try to sing like him is just rediculous.

Nope. Axl is actually one of the many, many baritones that went after their tenor idols and pushed their voice way beyond their tessitura (their most comfortable range). He is a proof that if you really want then it can be done. Being a baritone doesn't mean you can only sing low, it means that it is more comfortable to sing low.

BloodReverence 11-26-2012 03:59 PM

I'll stand corrected for Dane, but after hearing him in his older band (I can't remember it unfortunately) where he was pumping out Judas Priest style vocals, I doubted him being a baritone.

As for Axl, just because his speaking voice is lower doesn't mean that it'd be suitable for a baritone to sing his parts. He's constantly singing in a tenor range and it'd not be in this guys best interest to start off by trying to belt out Axl's parts.

Tempoe 11-26-2012 04:17 PM

Paul, Sting

Usernames sucks 12-04-2012 05:36 PM

Thanks, iforgot to mention that im mostly intrested in rock/metal

Nietsche 12-04-2012 06:43 PM

Bobbie Wright from Brocas Helm:

show

Usernames sucks 12-04-2012 06:43 PM

Btw, is steven wilson a tenor or baritone? I can keep up with him, but i think i mAybe sing a octave lower.

helltothee 12-04-2012 07:05 PM

Robb Flynn maybe? He attacks those low notes in Machine Head, but I guess he has range and does use it from time to time.

jrenkert 12-04-2012 10:13 PM

You need to check out Godforbid...he is in That Handsome devil...odd music...I really really enjoy...whatever you do dont listen to the live versions on youtube

Usernames sucks 12-05-2012 05:00 PM

Is the singer a baritone or tenor (wait for clean vocals)?

BloodReverence 12-05-2012 05:28 PM

In Corelia the singer is a definite tenor.

tottsk1 12-05-2012 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usernames sucks
Is the singer a baritone or tenor (wait for clean vocals)?

I guess he is a tenor, but most of the parts is baritone range i believe. You can hear at 3:07 he is hitting notes way over the baritone range.

Usernames sucks 12-05-2012 06:16 PM

Yes but when he starts, it seems like i can keep up with him, or im probably singing an octave lower... What about this?