UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Pit (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   "Cool" Parents (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1573340)

The Madcap 11-16-2012 08:08 PM

"Cool" Parents

What do you think about parents who will supply and allow their underage children (and often their friends)with alcohol and sometimes drugs? Keep in mind we're talking kids who are like 16-20. If it was like 8-year-old kids I think we could all agree that would be f*cked up.

I remember at my high school, Junior or Senior year, one guy threw a party, and his mom was there and bought a bunch of alcohol for the kids to drink. Long story short, she got arrested and I remember them showing her mugshot on the news.

I also once had a friend who had parents who'd smoke weed every night, and on occasion they'd to it together. He was allowed to basically do anything he wanted (alcohol, weed, acid, etc.). He actually ended up alright and is pretty responsible, but I know his older brother struggled with drug problems and had to sober up.

I think if a parent lets their kid have a beer when he's in his late-teens, that is generally okay. But I think it's wrong for them to buy alcohol for their kid's friends (unless they know his parents would be okay with it). I remember when I was in high school, a guy asked me for my urine because his mom was gonna have him drug tested. I did it, but in retrospect, I think I was in the wrong, as it's not like it was a school drug test or something, and it's not my place to interfere with how his mother raises him.

Trowzaa 11-16-2012 08:10 PM

:shrug: I really don't care. My parents did it for me.
Being 20 and having to have your parents supply your booze is absolutely hilarious though. Well done America.

Nelshizzle 11-16-2012 08:12 PM

My parents never smoked chronic with me until my adult years, but they were cool with the idea of freedom and not trying to hold me down. Guidance and punishments did exist for severe things I did as a youngster, but overall they taught me responsibility and how to go about life without being totally unaware of how life uppercuts you in the jaw.

I know i'm going to be the same way with my children.

My parents never bought me beer though. Shit I lived in a neighborhood where the store owners didnt give a shit about 21+ laws.

Avedas 11-16-2012 08:13 PM

haha 20

Burgery 11-16-2012 08:15 PM

they're pretty cool

parents

adamgur96 11-16-2012 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelsean
they were cool with the idea of freedom and not trying to hold me down. Guidance and punishments did exist for severe things I did as a youngster, but overall they taught me responsibility and how to go about life without being totally unaware of how life uppercuts you in the jaw.

This.

metal4eva_22 11-16-2012 08:20 PM

When I was 16 my mom let me have a drink or two when she was drinking with the rest of the family. My mom is really close with her side of the family and we would often go out to my aunt's house for parties. When I was younger I would hang around with my cousins and all the other kids there, but when I got older the rest of the family would offer me alcohol despite only being in my teens. I think it was a good experience. It removed all the mystery around alcohol. And in highschool, where kids often brag about drinking to make themselves look super cool, I would just laugh at them. :shrug:

Bob_Sacamano 11-16-2012 08:23 PM

I think if they were good parents and raised responsible children who can do those things with self-control in their late teens then they are indeed cool parents. It really shouldn't be done for groups they don't know though.

Ichikurosaki 11-16-2012 08:24 PM

that's a very odd definition of cool

_KurtCobain_77 11-16-2012 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelsean
They were cool with the idea of freedom and not trying to hold me down. Guidance and punishments did exist for severe things I did as a youngster, but overall they taught me responsibility and how to go about life without being totally unaware of how life uppercuts you in the jaw.

+1

I plan to let my kid drink with me in his/her teens. Like metal4eva said, it takes away the mystery of alcohol as well as allowing them to learn their limits and understanding how to drink responsibly (don't get trashed when you have responsibilities the next day, etc).

ErikLensherr 11-16-2012 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichikurosaki
that's a very odd definition of cool

When I was young my mom bought me pocky and naruto on dvd and it was very kawaii.

Hydra150 11-16-2012 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Madcap
Keep in mind we're talking kids who are like 16-20.

20 year olds aren't kids.

So-Cal 11-16-2012 08:34 PM

My parents were pretty cool in that they let me drink with them when i was in my teens. If I ever have kids I'd rather they drink and drugs with me rather than go out and do it in a dangerous environment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikLensherr
When I was young my mom bought me pocky and naruto on dvd and it was very kawaii.

You show them autists

Ichikurosaki 11-16-2012 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikLensherr

O_O
ur mum is zettai KAKKOIII sugoi O_o_o!!1/ ,1 <33

Atomic_Assault 11-16-2012 08:34 PM

My parents were okay with me drinking from about 15. I'd been having a the odd beer with my Dad a full year before I'd start getting seriously messy with mates and stuff. It meant that when I did go out, I had a reasonable idea with how I'd cope with different amounts of booze. I was aware of my limits, so to speak, which was a lot better than a lot of my friends could say.

Nick92Slayer 11-16-2012 08:41 PM

My parents offered me a bottle or two of beer when I was 14 onwards on occasion. I don't really see a problem with it as long as parents keep on top of it, and raise their son/daughter responsibly.

Let them know its their house and rules, and that drink can **** you up.
Shit like encouraging it seems wrong though

Edit: as for underage supplying, I don't think its that bad if a parent approaches his 16 year old son and says "I know you're having a few friends around tonight and you want something to drink, I'll get you all a few beers"

Dory77 11-16-2012 08:44 PM

My parents occasionally bought me/my friends booze for parties, mostly so they knew what/how much people could drink. There were times with my older brothers where they made it BYO for people and everyone showed up with a case and shit got real messy. So in a way, I think it's better for parents to buy their kids booze because then they know what they're drinking, rather then letting them buy shitloads of booze with their friends and getting totally maggot.

Wisthekiller 11-16-2012 08:48 PM

My parents didn't care as long as they knew where I was, if I was safe, and what I was doing (in terms of drugs and alcohol). They bought it for me once or twice, but I never cared for beer, only liquor (Crown and Jager were my favorite).

Weaponized 11-16-2012 08:50 PM

My parents would never be okay with me using drugs/drinking beer. I wouldn't let my kid drink or anything either until I thought he was done growing.

Hydra150 11-16-2012 08:51 PM

^You're eighteen. Go get drunk, and come home and shout at your parents for oppressing you.